Issue with Intel NIC drivers installation and Windows 10 1803 Wake on LAN

I know it's not a supported configuration, but we had no issues with Win10 1511. 

When we moved to 1703, we initially had a similar problem, but we got it working using an older driver on about 4 different models.  Now with 1803, it installs the MICROSOFT driver and not our selected driver.  The problem is that WoL does NOT work with the Microsoft driver, but it works fine with the Intel driver.  We can install the driver manually, but we have a couple hundred machines to work with.

Is there a way to silently FORCE the installation of the drivers during imaging?  Or even after the fact.  They work fine with the Microsoft driver except for WoL.

We use ENGL/ZENworks for imaging, but we can script or modify the process to put the correct drivers in.  It just doesn't install them when we use during imaging.  We used to be able to update the driver through Windows Update, also, but it just says we have the best driver now.

The specific part is Intel 82567LM-3.  I have even used the older driver on another card fine.

A LOT of people had problems with 1803. Might get more help in Windows section. Mod notified.

1 hour ago, farmeunit said:

I know it's not a supported configuration, but we had no issues with Win10 1511. 

When we moved to 1703, we initially had a similar problem, but we got it working using an older driver on about 4 different models.  Now with 1803, it installs the MICROSOFT driver and not our selected driver.  The problem is that WoL does NOT work with the Microsoft driver, but it works fine with the Intel driver.  We can install the driver manually, but we have a couple hundred machines to work with.

Is there a way to silently FORCE the installation of the drivers during imaging?  Or even after the fact.  They work fine with the Microsoft driver except for WoL.

We use ENGL/ZENworks for imaging, but we can script or modify the process to put the correct drivers in.  It just doesn't install them when we use during imaging.  We used to be able to update the driver through Windows Update, also, but it just says we have the best driver now.

The specific part is Intel 82567LM-3.  I have even used the older driver on another card fine.

There are ways to tell Windows which drivers are preferred. But you should probably stop and ask why this is happening. It's not like Microsoft doesn't work with Intel for driver support...

The Fall and Spring Creator's update has made breaking changes to a lot of tiny things to increase security, particularly Ransomeware. One of the techniques is to default to running many drivers in a Hyper-V Sandbox if the CPU supports it, even if it is NOT a PRO version of Windows which is normally the pre-req for Hyper-V

We're running Windows 10 Education for the most part.   The security aspect is understandable, but the fact that it works when installed manually, makes me question why it won't install during imaging.

26 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

We're running Windows 10 Education for the most part.   The security aspect is understandable, but the fact that it works when installed manually, makes me question why it won't install during imaging.

Ah, I see the problem. This device is at EOL which is essentially the root cause of your problem:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/32208

The latest Intel driver is for Windows 7 which means it won't have the same affinity as a Windows 10 driver from Microsoft and that you are probably creating a security risk using that approach. (unknown possible very small risk, but non-zero)

1. You might need to modify the CAT file and re-sign the driver before imaging to spoof as Windows 10 native driver.

2. Alternatively you could try out some newer drivers made for Windows 10 which might install, although they might need modifying themselves and re-signing to accept the older PCI device ID by adding a range of new IDs.

These look promising: (make sure your pop-up blocker is on)

22.7 - June 2017

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=startdown&id=2916&lang=en

23.1 - Feb 2018

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=startdown&id=3338&lang=en

3. Another option which can make your life easier and thrill your user population is to plug in new 10 gig fibre cards everywhere and eliminate driver issues for a decade or so...

I appreciate the help.  I'll dig into a little more.  I have a working solution using DEVCON, but doing a little more testing on a bigger scale.  I found an article pertaining to #2 of your answer, but will definitely have to do a little more research on where things need to go and the formats.

I will definitely be looking into hardware upgrades, but we just spent a ton on infrastructure and this year buying a bunch of Chromebooks, also, so trying to stretch the hardware budget as much as possible.

28 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

I will definitely be looking into hardware upgrades, but we just spent a ton on infrastructure and this year buying a bunch of Chromebooks, also, so trying to stretch the hardware budget as much as possible.

luckily NIC cards usually aren't too expensive if you're just going for a PCI express expansion (which should still allow for WOL)

I will look into that.  Then the issue is PXE booting.  Can the expansion cards allow for PXE booting?I

I have been looking into InTune and AutoPilot.  I don't know if ZENworks has plans to support or how that will work.  Looking at possibly using SCCM, but undecided for now.  I have used it before and like ZENworks MUCH better.

8 hours ago, farmeunit said:

I will look into that.  Then the issue is PXE booting.  Can the expansion cards allow for PXE booting?I

I have been looking into InTune and AutoPilot.  I don't know if ZENworks has plans to support or how that will work.  Looking at possibly using SCCM, but undecided for now.  I have used it before and like ZENworks MUCH better.

Assuming your budget is too limited for high speed fibre.

Therefore you have Intel low-end chip, Intel high-end chip, Realtek wide variety of chips, and the rest...

1. Realtek gets the prize for good and frequent driver support and their best chips have every feature known to mankind. Downside is they show up in a large multitude of lessor known brands and the actual Realtek chip used is often hard to dig out.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4

2. Other chips - driver support not good

3. Intel - used to have driver support better than Realtek but now they have lost their way somehow.

WOL and PXE boot and VLAN etc all depend on the chip, nothing is implemented on the card anymore. Once you know the chip number, you know everything you need to know. Most of them have WOL and PXE boot.

Thanks for the info.  I'll look into some add-in cards for going forward.   We get a lot of computers donated through government agencies, so that saves us there.  we're just trying to update our fleet to Chromebooks so we can get more machines in here for now.

We're moving to SSD for existing machines, as well, so we just don't want to spend any more than necessary for this year.

56 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll look into some add-in cards for going forward.   We get a lot of computers donated through government agencies, so that saves us there.  we're just trying to update our fleet to Chromebooks so we can get more machines in here for now.

We're moving to SSD for existing machines, as well, so we just don't want to spend any more than necessary for this year.

Poking around on NewEgg.com, the OEM low-end Intel models were $30 and the low end Realteks were $15.

On SSD, Samsung is light years ahead of everyone else. If you can't provision Samsung then look for other manufacturers with 3D NAND Flash RAM which has considerably more write cycles than other Flash.

I was previously using Samsung.  Then switched to Crucial, but they keep changing models.

We're looking an PNY CS900 right now.  We can get the 120GB for $39.  240GB for $60 or so.

And for some reason Samsung's prices stay high.