• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

There Was a Problem Resetting my PC

Sir Topham Hatt    239

It gets to about 50%, then just says there was a problem.

I have this about once every 10 months where Windows corrupts something when shutting down. Means when restarting, it never actually loads Windows properly. I can get to recovery mode after 3 tries of loading.

The actual error when starting is "Inaccessible Boot Device". 

Can't boot into Safe Mode.

BIOS resets itself so the date and time are way in the future.

Can I reinstall Windows fresh and it'll leave data on other hard drives?

Can I reinstall Windows from the media creation tool?

Cheers

Sir Topham Hatt    239

In addition, if I change the BIOS to AHCI, then reinstall Windows, will. I corrupt data on the other disks?

Nick H.    8,940

If you reinstall Windows on the same drive then the other drives should be ok, as Windows has no need to format them. However, you could always play it safe and disconnect the unneeded drives and reconnect them once the installation is complete. However, any information on the Windows disk will be removed, so you might want to copy any data that you can to a different drive before you go ahead.

I don't have the answer to your followup question, unfortunately. I don't think you will corrupt the data on the other disks, but it may be that Windows is unable to read the data. If that's the case though you could always switch back to whatever it is currently set to, couldn't you?

helpifIcan    40

Just as a possible issue did you change the cmos battery yet or recently?

jimmy_jazz    49

You could have a corrupted bios. Iv'e seen instances similar to what you describe on Gigabyte dual bios motherboards with Windows 10.

You should consider flashing the bios to the latest version available for your board. If you cannot get into Windows then make a bootable USB stick and flash it that way.

Not saying that is what it is, just a suggestion..

• Like 1

Sir Topham Hatt    239

Thanks.

Well, I have now been able to boot into Windows. I used the media creation tool, which it uses on startup.

Accidentally said I'd 'Use another operating system' but could go back. So chose 'Windows Recovery Environment'. Left the PC for about 3 minutes and all of a sudden its booted to Windows like normal.

Hmm.

I'll check my BIOS but I think it's already on the latest version. A bit afraid to flash anything now I'm back in Windows though.

In fact, I can't remember if the last one flashed, it may have errored.

Are there things like check disk I can do to make sure the drives are okay? That'll then point to it being a BIOS problem.

Luckily Windows is just Windows. There's no files I keep so can loose it whenever and reset with no loss but time. 

Circaflex    3,428

You can run manufacture specific diagnostic software to check health, I always recommend them over third party:

Seagate - SeaTools

Western Digital - Data Lifeguard

Hitatchi - Drive Fitness Test

You can check device manager for the model of your drive to see the OEM if you dont want to open up the case. It sure sounds like a bad drive, if this randomly happens to often and gives you an error about inaccessible boot device. Just my 2 cents.

+goretsky    919

Hello,

What is the brand and model of computer (or system parts if custom-built)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Sir Topham Hatt    239

Yeah, self built machine.

I'll have to get the details but it seems to be an update that causes it.

It updated today (I guess patch Tuesday) but upon restarting, its errored out and now I'm back to the beginning again.

Strange though as when I got back in before and "update and restart" and it restarted fine.

I'll grab the system info and update tomorrow with it.

Brandon H    2,099

even if your BIOS says up-to-date I'd reflash it anyway to verify nothing corrupt; this should also reset timings ect and force re-calibration. along with this I'd switch out the CMOS battery as someone mentioned above; this could be a potential cause of your bios time/date jumping around and could be causing other unseen issues if the battery voltage is too low.

the weirdness of this to me says something hardware with your setup (especially if the issue has persisted after fresh installs). I'd check the usuals if you haven't already; cables plugged in fully; could try swapping the sata cable or switch sata ports, maybe a port isn't initializing properly on POST.

• Like 1

Sir Topham Hatt    239
Posted (edited)

Followed this video :

But it didn't change anything. Do be honest, I don't even know what it did, which I know is dangerous.

Followed what I did before but again no change - seems like the solution from before isn't working now.

I've had a look inside the PC and nothing seems a miss. Reseated all the hard drives (there's 6 all together) and they seem okay.

Can't even boot in safe mode.

Changed the battery. It didn't want to show anything on the display but after fiddling with the graphics card, I'm good to go.

Although the date doesn't seem to recognise anything past the 12th.

Back in Recovery mode and gave, "start up repair" a whirl. Still can't find anything so gonna go for a full reset.

It's strange as the PC sleeps and wakes fine. It's just when it shuts down this seems to happen.

Edited by Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt    239

So here's some more info.

It seems the USB drivers for the mouse and keyboard have disappeared so can only use a keyboard at the moment. Although the PC recognises there's a memory stick, just not the mouse or keyboard.

I can't figure out a way to flash the latest BIOS rom as EZ Flash says there's nothing attached (when the stick is plugged in) and when I tried installing WinFlash from the Asus website, it just says "WinFlash does not support this BIOS update". 

Any further ideas?

Thanks for the help so far though ?

Brandon H    2,099

that's not good, sounding more and more like the mobo may be starting to fail; at least to me.

what mobo do you have? some of the mobos that support EZ Flash require you to use a specific usb port.

• Like 1

Circaflex    3,428
6 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

So here's some more info.

It seems the USB drivers for the mouse and keyboard have disappeared so can only use a keyboard at the moment. Although the PC recognises there's a memory stick, just not the mouse or keyboard.

I can't figure out a way to flash the latest BIOS rom as EZ Flash says there's nothing attached (when the stick is plugged in) and when I tried installing WinFlash from the Asus website, it just says "WinFlash does not support this BIOS update". 

Any further ideas?

Thanks for the help so far though ?

What format is the flash drive in? Usually you need FAT32 for the BIOS to recognize it.

• Like 1

Sir Topham Hatt    239

It's an Asus P5Q-e. 

I don't quite understand as the post message knows it has 3 keyboards attached and two mice. But as soon as Windows loads, they're lost and I only have the old purple connector keyboard available.

Turns out I have got a USB mouse though. Plugged it in, red light, but no mouse. Tut.

Restarted and we're back to the old inaccessible boot device again!

Turns out I could flash the BIOS through EZ Flash but the stick had to be under 1gb to be recognised. So I pull out my 512mb one (it's fallen apart so literally just the chip board!) but worked. Although the BIOS still thinks it's the same version as before, but there's now Express Gate and a couple of other things that's made me think it has updated.

So I've flashed the BIOS and now reset the PC fully, again. No mouse during the setup and still not there in Windows.

Went back to device manager and found it's missing USB drivers. Searched online again but it can't find them again.

Maybe I should just get a new motherboard and install Windows a fresh, this time in AHCI mode too!

IMG_20180614_163800.jpg

Brandon H    2,099

does the USB mouse and keyboard work when booting a windows install disc/usb? if so try installing a fresh copy of windows on another harddrive to rule out corrupt install. but to me it sounds like something is going seriously weird with that mobo and swapping it may be the best bet to save you headache

Sir Topham Hatt    239
Posted (edited)

Here's today's update:

Went to the ASUS website and despite it sending me to this page and that page, found some Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 downloads.

I had nothing to loose so went ahead and downloaded them,

Booted the PC into Windows.

Tried to run the Setup for the Asus toolkit that would allow me to flash the BIOS (to make sure it was correct) and do some other things but it didn't even start the setup file.

Tried a couple of the other install files, of which the sound max one was the only one to work so far.  At least that was something.  File names are:

• IMSM_V8901023_Windows7 - Asus MAtrix Manager - Didn't install
  • ASUS Manager (Update V2.05.05) - Didn't install
  • MarvellYukon_Ethernet_V111053_Windows7 - Didn't try this one
  • MB WIN7 ATK - Asus motherboard drivers - Didn't install
  • SoundMAX2000B_Audio_V610X6585_Windows7 - Installed!

Moved on to the chip set drivers, namely - Intel_Chipset_V9111019_XPVistaWin7.

The install worked!  Then Windows goes a bit wild telling me it's setting up the USB peripherals, that's two mice and two keyboards, then it continues to tell me it's setting up the Microsoft receivers (both of them), when I notice a cursor.  Dare I move the mouse?  Woo Hoo!  Mouse, keyboard... it's like Jurassic Park coming back online!

So now we're back in business, and it seems the 5.1 sound works properly now too, where before I think it was heading out through the HDMI to the TV, which then fed it to the amp loosing the 5.1.

Ran a driver updater program that seems to do a good job on the other family PC we have and it updated a whole host of drivers, from the ones I just installed, to hard drives and all sorts.

Restarted.  Still good.

So it seems the saga is over... for now.

But wow - what a learning experience!  Thanks so much for the pointers of where to look ?

For interest, here's my system stats:

Spoiler

Computer:

Computer Type  ACPI x64-based PC

Operating System  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

OS Service Pack  -

Internet Explorer  11.112.17134.0

Edge  42.17134.1.0

DirectX  DirectX 12.0

Computer Name  DESKTOP-43KG7BM (HTPC)

User Name  HTPC

Logon Domain  DESKTOP-43KG7BM

Date / Time  2018-06-14 / 17:38

Motherboard:

CPU Type  DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)

Motherboard Name  Asus P5Q-E (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Motherboard Chipset  Intel Eaglelake P45

System Memory  4096 MB (DDR2 SDRAM)

DIMM1: Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5  2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 MHz)

DIMM3: Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5  2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 MHz)

BIOS Type  AMI (04/06/09)

Communication Port  Communications Port (COM1)

Display:

Video Adapter  AMD Radeon HD 5450 (512 MB)

Video Adapter  AMD Radeon HD 5450 (512 MB)

3D Accelerator  ATI Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar)

Monitor  Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (22461)

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter  Analog Devices AD2000B @ Intel 82801JB ICH10 - High Definition Audio Controller

Audio Adapter  ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI Cedar/Park/Robson - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:

IDE Controller  Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26

IDE Controller  Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20

Storage Controller  Marvell 61xx RAID Controller

Storage Controller  Marvell Storage Virtual Device

Storage Controller  Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller

Disk Drive  WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 ATA Device (2 TB, SATA-II)

Disk Drive  WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 ATA Device (2 TB, SATA-II)

Disk Drive  WDC WD20EZRX-00DC0B0 ATA Device (2 TB, SATA-III)

Disk Drive  OCZ ET1208AD USB Device (980 MB, USB)

Disk Drive  SanDisk SDSSDA120G ATA Device (120 GB, SATA-III)

Disk Drive  WDC WD20EARS-00J2GB0 ATA Device (2 TB, SATA-II)

SMART Hard Disks Status  OK

Partitions:

? (NTFS)  110.9 GB (90.7 GB free)

? (NTFS)  100.1 GB (82.6 GB free)

E: (NTFS)  1863.0 GB (623.9 GB free)

F: (NTFS)  1262.9 GB (543.7 GB free)

G: (NTFS)  500.0 GB (190.2 GB free)

H: (NTFS)  1863.0 GB (643.9 GB free)

I: (NTFS)  1863.0 GB (741.7 GB free)

Total Size  7562.9 GB (2916.6 GB free)

Input:

Keyboard  Standard PS/2 Keyboard

Keyboard  Wireless Keyboard Filter Device

Mouse  Microsoft Arc Mouse (Mouse and Keyboard Center)

Mouse  Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse (Mouse and Keyboard Center)

Network:

Primary IP Address  192.168.0.16

Primary MAC Address  00-22-15-15-0E-A9

Network Adapter  Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Network Adapter  Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (192.168.0.16)

Peripherals:

FireWire Controller  AT&T/Lucent IEEE1394 FireWire Controller (PHY: Agere LFW3226/3227)

USB1 Controller  Intel 82801JB ICH10 - USB Universal Host Controller

USB2 Controller  Intel 82801JB ICH10 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller

USB2 Controller  Intel 82801JB ICH10 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller

USB Device  Microsoft Hardware USB Keyboard

USB Device  Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse

USB Device  Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse

USB Device  Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)

USB Device  USB Input Device

USB Device  USB Mass Storage Device

DMI:

DMI BIOS Vendor  American Megatrends Inc.

DMI BIOS Version  2101

DMI System Manufacturer  System manufacturer

DMI System Product  P5Q-E

DMI System Version  System Version

DMI System Serial Number  System Serial Number

DMI System UUID  C008001E-8C00014C-29EF0022-15150EA9

DMI Motherboard Manufacturer  ASUSTeK Computer INC.

DMI Motherboard Product  P5Q-E

DMI Motherboard Version  Rev 1.xx

DMI Motherboard Serial Number  MS1C86B09300944

DMI Chassis Manufacturer  Chassis Manufacture

DMI Chassis Version  Chassis Version

DMI Chassis Serial Number  Chassis Serial Number

DMI Chassis Asset Tag  Asset-1234567890

DMI Chassis Type  Desktop Case

DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets  4 / 2

I've decided to keep a special memory stick that has the install files I used above on it, plus the driver updating program (Driver Booster) and a couple of other bits so it's sort of like a custom rescue stick.

Edited by Sir Topham Hatt
  • Like 1

Brandon H    2,099

Glad you got the driver issues sorted. That doesn't really explain why it was having issues booting though so definitely keep an eye on it for a bit to make sure that doesn't start happening again :)

+goretsky    919

Hello,

One thing to keep in mind is that the ASUS P5Q-E motherboard was released ten years ago, in 2008.  If you have not done so within the past 2-3 years, I would strongly suggest replacing the CR-2032 +3VDC coin cell which provides a trickle of current to keep the motherboard's CMOS settings and real-time clock powered. 

You may also want to check for BIOS and firmware updates for the motherboard as well as any other attached devices which have updateable firmware, such as graphics cards, drives and so forth.

Also, if the disk drives are of similar vintage, you may want to run the manufacturers' diagnostics against those.  Hard disk drives are electromechanical devices and eventually fail, so it is a good idea to periodically test them for errors.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky