• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

MacOS Mojave’s Dark Mode Puts Windows 10’s to Shame

Active.    1,568
Posted (edited)

MacOS Mojave’s Dark Mode Puts Windows 10’s to Shame

Apple’s upcoming macOS Mojave includes a new dark mode. Despite being a new feature in a beta operating system, Apple’s dark mode is already much nicer than Windows 10’s dark mode.

What do you think? Personally, I agree 100%. Mojave's dark mode looks much more refined to me, and we're talking about the very first beta version available to developers.All apps and windows that come with the OS apparently already fully support the mode in the first beta. Any self-respecting developer will most likely already have their own apps updated around the time the OS is released to the public.

Seems crazy to me that Microsoft on the other hand is still plagued by the same issues concerning UI consistency and beauty, half a decade after the original release of Windows 8. They're like a few percentage points into transitioning to the latest of the half dozen UI languages used in Windows. To be blunt, Windows continues to feel like a cobbled together mess. Why is this so hard for Microsoft?

greenwizard88    552

Using a hex value of #000000 means that an OLED screen can turn the pixels off, saving battery life. I think that's a perfectly good reason to use pure black instead of a dark grey. Apple's approach is different, but I'd hardly call it putting the Windows 10 mode to shame.

+Fahim S.    1,031

It's clickbait.. hardly a reasoned critique and one that knows nothing about software development, or even (it seems) the history of OS's.

As said above, there was a good reason for choosing hard black in the Microsoft UI.  Whether it was a good reason of not, is debatable, but let's not assume that 'they wanted a dark mode and so went black as it was darkest' was the line of thought. 

One of the screenshots is paint.net - an application that is not made by Microsoft, and the developer has chosen not make look nice in dark mode on Windows 10.  What exactly is Microsoft meant to do about that?

shockz    3,678
24 minutes ago, greenwizard88 said:

Using a hex value of #000000 means that an OLED screen can turn the pixels off, saving battery life. I think that's a perfectly good reason to use pure black instead of a dark grey. Apple's approach is different, but I'd hardly call it putting the Windows 10 mode to shame.

The handful of people who actually have OLED as their workstation/laptop screen are excited. Otherwise it looks terrible. 

InsaneNutter    1,068

Both the Windows and OSX dark modes looks horrible personally.

I'd love something in between light and dark, not either one extreme or the other.

Active.    1,568
17 minutes ago, greenwizard88 said:

Fair enough for the black value , although I don't know how many large OLED screens are out there at this point. And I think you'd still have to consider if the end result actually looks nice.

7 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

It's clickbait.. hardly a reasoned critique and one that knows nothing about software development, or even (it seems) the history of OS's.

As said above, there was a good reason for choosing hard black in the Microsoft UI.  Whether it was a good reason of not, is debatable, but let's not assume that 'they wanted a dark mode and so went black as it was darkest' was the line of thought. 

One of the screenshots is paint.net - an application that is not made by Microsoft, and the developer has chosen not make look nice in dark mode on Windows 10.  What exactly is Microsoft meant to do about that?

I think the point is that  "few third party applications use dark modes—almost none, in fact. Paint.NET valiantly attempts to use a dark theme". In other words, even developers who are trying apparently have trouble implementing the dark theme. Microsoft can certainly make things like that harder or easier by the way their frameworks work. I don't think it's an accident that you have so much consistency across Mac apps. Often doing the right thing (as a developer) on the Mac is easier – and can actually mean having to do nothing at all – than doing the wrong thing. Like getting all of the standard menu items and keyboard shortcuts by literally just creating and running an empty Xcode project. Of course some developers who shall not be mentioned then get rid of the items for no good reason, and as a user you wonder why your standard text selection shortcuts stop working in that specific app – because someone thought they could do without the Edit menu Xcode helpfully provided... 🙄 But you don't encounter such apps too often on the Mac.

SuperKid    87

ximg_5b171414bee81.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

What is that file explorer though lol? How can someone think that is usable? I love Windows 10 but the UI consistency between apps and even there own sucks so bad.

Xenon    1,888

I just wish Microsoft would lock some people in a room and clean up the windows 10 ui. Its a mashup of about 5 different versions of windows. They don't even have a consistent color of black in the ui.