Need to get a new cable modem

Here is an update:

Comcast came out yesterday at my request and moved our cable line, that was just a temporary drop, from the amp, to the tap, as it turns out when DirectTV installed there dish, they stole the ground connection that the comcast line was attached to and hooked it to the dish instead, which his why when the lightning struck it caused damage to the modem. The reason I had Comcast move the line was that the mobile home park just installed a new home next door to us and the cinder brick footers and concrete pad are directly on top of the cable line, and since this was just supposed to be a temporary install, the line was not burred very deep.

As a past Dish installer I can tell you that 80% of the installs I did never were grounded and NEVER were hit by lightening.. so the odds of that being the direct cause or just pure coincidence is really up in the air..I'd lean to coincidence.

Don't let them feed you with an excuse to burn the DirectTV installer when you really don't know for sure.

As for modem.. Arris for Comcast hands down.. get 3.1 and future proof yourself.

I'm sitting with a SB6141 that I put in 2 years ago and its already outdated as hell. I'm missing out on upgrades till I get a new one but issue is a new one is $150+ and I'll never recover the amount I put into the old one, maybe not even %20 if sold on ebay for example..sucks but that is what it is.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:35 PM, Circaflex said:

Can't be too often my Southern California friend, haha!

Now regarding the gas arrestors, I wasn't really all that familiar with this term so I just looked into it and it is a rather fascinating subject.

Yes, in Northwest Florida, we don't have "approaching" storms in the summer, they bloom, out of nowhere, all day. I had the "whole house" protection provided by Gulf Power. Unfortunately, lightning didn't get the memo to only enter through the main power entrance. :)  

On 6/15/2018 at 8:08 PM, goretsky said:

Have you looked into whole home surge suppression with lightning gas arrestors for your electrical, telco and cable?  I have been thinking of doing this for my home.  Right now, I disconnect sensitive electronics and cable when a storm approaches.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

https://georgebrazilplumbingelectrical.com/blog/do-whole-house-surge-protectors-really-work 

http://www.us-tech.com/RelId/1082596/ISvars/default/Why_Whole_Building_Surge_Protectors_Don't_Work.htm  <--This one also suggest using as lower VPR...

On 6/15/2018 at 10:20 PM, Scott Hellewell said:

We also have the Netgear CM1000.  It has been very stable.  Funny story, but a year ago we had lightning strike our fence about 30 feet from the cable modem.  It stopped working at that time.  It was a CM1000, and we had liked it so much we bought another CM1000. 

Going on week two now of flawless operation. I had a random drop in speeds that a router reset fixed (Amplifi HD, which honestly isn't up to the task of Gb speeds, ugh). I would buy another in a heart beat.