For Frontpage XP users...

Question

FrontPage is great for its tables support, but Dreamweaver's extensibility is great for adding things like Flash, Shockwave (and I love the built-in CSS editor)

I personally use both, but for some unknown reason I end up always returning to FrontPage.

As to the question, you'll just have to go in and get rid of them manually, unless its a frontpage dependency, then you have a problem. In FP97 you could turn off Verbose code, but here you can't.. oh well, I find it makes the code a hell of a lot easier to read.

Use Notepad.

You can then write what you want, do what you want, make it as hard or as easy to read as you want and never have anything you don't want.

And its free so no need to spend anymore.

Some people think its hard but you get the hang of it. Its just like learning a second language except this time the language is HTML or XML or something of the sort.

I'm not sure about XP, but in 2000 under Page Options you could set what the target browser and language was for each page.

Try setting it to Internet Explorer AND Netscape, or HTML 3.2 or something. When you adjust those settings, FrontPage used to modify the way it would create the code, based on the target browsers and languages.

But I would recommend that you stop using the WYSIWYG editor and learn HTML so that you can use it in HTML-mode only. FrontPage is great for people who need the graphical interface, but that's when FP tries to create it's idea of the code. Learning HTML is the best bet.

Once you know HTML, you could move over to Notepad, but the color-coding and carriage return features of FP are REALLY helpful, both of which Notepad doesn't have.

iUk

Please... don't use FrontPage for web development. It's a very unprofessional solution.

Download HomeSite (used to be Allaire's, now belongs to Macromedia). HomeSite is builty specifically for professional web development, and will turn your comp into a lean-mean-coding-machine.

Try it for free, crack it if you like it, buy it if you can afford it.

Frontpage has been a "good" WYSIWYG editor for a while... once it has been spanked into submission and used correctly.

I agree it's not 100% clean, but its not as bad as most make out once you've played with the options etc.

Originally posted by eangulus  

Use Notepad.

You can then write what you want, do what you want, make it as hard or as easy to read as you want and never have anything you don't want.

And its free so no need to spend anymore.

Some people think its hard but you get the hang of it. Its just like learning a second language except this time the language is HTML or XML or something of the sort.

couldn't have said it better. congrats. :cheeky:

I love WYSIWYG editors thats what i used to make my site "Front Page XP" but there is alot of useless code in it.. I think I might try Dream Weaver.. any other suggestions?

well if you dont solely use notepad, use dreamweaver ultradev 4. It's the best, hands down. It has a split screen view of both design and code, which is very useful. Give it a shot.

okies, sorry. ill be more helpful next time

About frontpage. It does make making a website a doddle. Thats what all WYSIWYG editors do, untl you see the code. Its also a pretty safe bet that what looks good in FP and IE looks crap in Netscape. Best idea, (what i do sometimes) is use a WYSIWYG to set up the site, then strip it right back at the HTML level, and do all the things FP did wrong ,right. But you need to know HTML for that, but its a doddle.

There are plenty of easy to use notpad alternaties, if you feel the need for a GUI, like Homesite (as said before) or 1st Page 2000, which is cool considering its free.

I started out designing pages in FrontPage when I didn't know anything about HTML. Now that I've had some experience, I have slowly begun moving to Notepad. There is still one thing though that I think FrontPage is very useful for?making tables. It's definitely annoying to make tables just in the HTML code itself. FrontPage makes short work out of making tables.

If you don't need a great WYSIWYG interface, then get Visual InterDev 6. It's got WYSIWYG, but that's not it's strong area. It's the best I've used so far. It color codes, keeps the tabs lined up and a lot of other great things, and is great with ASP applications.

iUk