• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Need help activating ATT iPhone 6 on Virgin Mobile

slamfire92    1,658
Posted (edited)

So I recently sold my old ATT iPhone 6 to a friend who uses Virgin Mobile. VM claims the phone will work and is eligible for transfer, but they've sent 2 different sim cards (marked Sprint) and I keep getting a message saying the SIM is invalid. They claim the phone needs to be programmed and insist that I dial a ## something something. Once I insert the SIM card, the phone immediately goes to some BS set up screen that becomes an endless loop because of the SIM invalid message. best I can do is get it to the emergency call keypad and it will not dial the number. I am unable to access anything else on the phone with the SIM inserted because of the BS set up it wants me to go through.

There is nothing wrong with the phone. Before giving it to him, I factory reset the phone (Fully updated) and have since reset it twice while troubleshooting with the script-locked Philippino tech bot . The refuse to xfer me to higher tier tech support.

Will this damn thing work on Virgin Mobile or not?

shockz    4,386
Posted (edited)

You probably have to go into settings and set APN, etc...

http://www.virginmobile.co.za/device-settings/iphone/

https://www.wirefly.com/guides/apn-settings/virgin-mobile

You're probably getting sprint sims as VM uses them for their network.

And you're sure you unlocked your ATT phone? You have to submit your IEMI to them via a website and it'll unlock the device for use on other carriers.

• Like 2

+Zag L.    573

Also, is the phone locked to AT&T or is it unlocked? If its locked, you'll need to unlock before it's gonna work on another network. 

• Like 2

slamfire92    1,658
Posted (edited)

Phone is unlocked and eligible according to them. I didn't have to do anything with ATT. After factory resetting, I got a "your iPhone is unlocked" message in iTunes.

Guess I'll go through the unlock procedure on the website just for the heck of it. They live on the ass end of space, so thats not helping things much...