Why do I get to see this at times ??

Hi there!

Why do I encounter the following transition while surfing the Most legible & sane of sites ??!

As soon as I hit 'refresh' - it goes away!

Does this suggest some form of 'monitoring' at the ISP level, OR some sophisticated Firewall deployed anywhere in the hierarchy of the Internet ?

By the way this time it showed up en route to - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31992432-Routers-Please-help-suggest-more-on-this

Inputs will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you. 

mqD03p7[1].jpg

Just now, adrynalyne said:

You have malware. 

Not possible !

I have the Latest definition updates installed for Malwarebytes, & I scan the system (almost) on a daily basis !

Should I go ahead with today's Scan & unleash the results for you ?? ?

4 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Not possible !

I have the Latest definition updates installed for Malwarebytes, & I scan the system (almost) on a daily basis !

Should I go ahead with today's Scan & unleash the results for you ?? ?

Ok. You don’t have malware. Guess you don’t need help.

Have fun!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Ok. You don’t have malware. Guess you don’t need help.

Have fun!

I didn't mean that !

Pl suggest on further course of action ?

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Mean Nothing... You think any scanner can catch all nasties...

But more likely than not its your country blocking it - your from one of those countries that blocks sites are you not.

Did you try it via https?  Did you use your vpn?

It's crazy how little there is to find on the Internet concerning this message. But from what I could find on Google, it would appear this message is displayed when trying to access a forbidden website (e.g. torrents) in India.

The message in itself "as per the" has an Indian tone. Your reply "suggest on further course of action" suggests you are indeed from India. No offense is meant by these observations by the way: I respect everyone. It is just an objective observation from my experience with Indian support teams.

That message doesn't look official enough to be issued by an ISP. However Netsweeper is a genuine Internet filtering product, I've managed a deployment of it in an old workplace.

Are you connecting to the Internet from home when you try this? Or are you at a workplace or somewhere where you don't own the Internet connection? I reckon it's either some Malware immitating Netsweeper or a workplace/public WiFi that is blocking access to that site.

3 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

That message doesn't look official enough to be issued by an ISP

You ever work with India ISPs before ;)

You would be surprised..

4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

You would be surprised..

My reasoning for thinking it’s malware is the the OP refreshes and it goes away. Not exactly effective filtering... ;)

The site should not be flitered at all.. Its prob issues with the filtering system.

You could say the same thing if malware - poorly written ;)  Don't get me wrong - not ruling that out.  But as the other poster mentioned the wording screams india..  And pretty sure they do country wide filtering - or attempt to atleast.

It could just be his browser caching something that was blocked and showing it - which is why it goes away on refresh.

18 minutes ago, BudMan said:

You would be surprised..

Good point. I've not worked with the ISPs, but I'm often on support calls with companies like Microsoft who have their call centres in India and I've read their email replies.

Edit: I just Google image searched "India Netsweeper"  and saw a couple of results of the same message that had been posted on other forums. Looks like Netsweeper is the go to choice for filtering by a lot of Indian ISPs.

It was a few years ago that I worked in a school that used Netsweeper, but it was a very crude filtering service which could only ban on key words or URLs (includes wildcards). It could not do any sort of content filtering or more advanced levels of filtering that rival filtering services can do. I now work in a school that uses Smoothwall, and whilst it seems overly complicated, it is good at filtering the nasties and off-task sites that students shouldn't have access to.

Hello,

Contact your Internet Service Provider's technical support department and ask them if the web site in question is being blocked.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

Your reply "suggest on further course of action" suggests you are indeed from India.

Correct !

I should fill up my profile rather to display a complete info on location & alike.

1 hour ago, Daedroth said:

Are you connecting to the Internet from home when you try this?

Indeed Iam.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

It could just be his browser caching something that was blocked and showing it - which is why it goes away on refresh.

The issue is 100% 'sporadic' in its occurrence.

..& I use 'Ctrl+Shift+Del' often as an instinctive regimen.  

Just now, saurabhdua said:

The issue is 100% 'sporadic' in its occurrence.

..& I use 'Ctrl+Shift+Del' often as an instinctive regimen.  

You know that only clears the history off your computer, right? It doesn't delete it from your ISP's records.

Honestly, sounds like Hathway use Netsweeper and there's not much you can do about it unless you use a VPN.

What does deleting your history have to do with your browser cache?  Hiding your recent p0rn visits has little to do with such a problem ;)

1 hour ago, Daedroth said:

Looks like Netsweeper is the go to choice for filtering by a lot of Indian ISPs.

Is it (the issue) something to do with DNS as well ? ..because Iam on OpenDNS configuration at present.

My ISP provided Skyworth router isn't equipped with customizing DNS, so I configure these from within Windows only.

13 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Is it (the issue) something to do with DNS as well ? ..because Iam on OpenDNS configuration at present.

My ISP provided Skyworth router isn't equipped with customizing DNS, so I configure these from within Windows only.

No, changing your DNS will not allow you to bypass your IPS's filtering.

40 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Please refer to the following video ( & follow till the end ) to clarify the contrast :-

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-26692345/bbctrending-twitter-blocked-in-turkey

Just because it's there doesn't necessarily mean it will work. I am talking from experience. In the UK, all the major ISPs have blocked access to certain sites where you can obtain copyrighted material, such as The Pirate Bay for example. If I try to access TPB, I will encounter a block page by my ISP. Due to my curiosity I've tried using OpenDNS and Google DNS but they don't work, the site is still blocked. There are other ways around it, but I think it's against forum rules to discuss them here.

dns blocking would get around geo ip based blocking based upon source of query..

Example I run site.com, In my dns I can say if your dns query comes from IP range xyz, you get 1.2.3.4 as answer that points you to CDN based in your region of the world based upon your dns query came from.  if your query comes from IP range ABC I point you to different CDN that might not have content your looking for or might not even allow your source IP..

For example how you can sometimes watch US netflix by just using dns that gives you the US ips for netflix services vs the CA ones if your in CA.

Some sort of dns based block could also be hey can not look up p0rn.tld site - but just using different dns that doesn't block that allows you to lookup p0rn.tld - but that would be a really lame sort of blocking.. Especially if you didn't block all other dns queries to anywhere else.. Might be good for blocking your kids from going somewhere on your home network, or valid service like quad 9999 to not look up bad stuff for your computer.

If a country was trying to block their people for using XYZ sites by using DNS blocking - but still allowing them to query other dns.. That would be utterly pointless.. Then again anyone trying to block their people and then posting such a lame ambiguous notification lets just say is not the brightest bulb in the pack ;)

###### the dns blocking I do via pi-hole on my home network gives you more information about the block

blockeddns.thumb.png.a4d0306eb49ccf62fe23722d8c65bc1b.png

Why does it not allow you some sort of link to report wrong blocked site?  Or who to contact for more info, etc. etc.  I would contact your ISP and offer how to do it for them better and cheaper and less easy to circumvent hehehe