Chances of being a software engineer?

I'm a 23 yr old US citizen and want to become a software engineer. I have one issue though. Two years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor, but I wasn't convicted of it and it later was expunged. What are my chances of being a software engineer?

8 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

I'm a 23 yr old US citizen and want to become a software engineer. I have one issue though. Two years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor, but I wasn't convicted of it and it later was expunged. What are my chances of being a software engineer?

That depends on your skill. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

That depends on your skill. 

so i basically can never get a job at google or anything now as well?

Tell us what development skills/experience you have, and maybe you'll get an answer. 

If the answer is none, getting some is a good start.

26 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

so i basically can never get a job at google or anything now as well?

Not with that attitude, no. 

24 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Not with that attitude, no. 

First of all I just wanted a yes or no answer so If I can't be one now that's all you have to say and you'll never have to see me again on this forum.

Programming is all about skill: if you have the skills, you certainly will find a job. 

You will have to create some projects to see what you can do and convince an employer to give you a chance.

It's however not easy to program and not something for everybody - if you have no Programming experience, count on at least 1-2 years before you are at the point you could get hired. 

Ok, but won't my record still prevent me from getting a software engineering regardless of the skills I have?

I don't know how it works in the US but here in Switzerland (and I believe in Europe too) I think people wouldn't care that much about your record - that would really depend on the company you're applying for. What they would care about, though, are your degrees, I think those are more important than your record. From what I hear, they're looking for software engineers, and people with degrees in there usually don't spend a lot of time looking for a job, so if a company really needs someone I think they'll overlook your record. Assuming you have some skills, isn't your best bet to just apply anyway and let them decide ?

EDIT : then again I forgot degrees are expensive outside of Switzerland, so if you don't have one, depending on your situation, my answer is probably useless to you. But the gest of it is I think in that job they will care about your skill, not your record.

I hope that it goes without saying that you probably won't be apply to apply for jobs in certains areas that may require background checks like defence or local government. 

But as others have said, apply and find out. Be open with whoever you're applying to because if it's something that you aren't open about it could come back to bite. 

3 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I hope that it goes without saying that you probably won't be apply to apply for jobs in certains areas that may require background checks like defence or local government. 

But as others have said, apply and find out. Be open with whoever you're applying to because if it's something that you aren't open about it could come back to bite. 

Well I'm not trying to get a government job so stop saying that, but can I at least get a job at google someday? Probably can't get a job there or anywhere since you want to post some mediocre answer that you just post. Well what if I don't get a software job then what? Are you trying to that all I'm gonna be good for is a dead end job getting only dimes and pennies for the rest of my life?

You know, everyone on this topic has done nothing but try and help you. You have no reason to be so rude. If don't like the answers that you're getting, please look elsewhere. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

well then if you aint sure then shut the ###### up

Well I'm not tryingto get a government job so stop saying that, but can I atleast get a job at google someday? Probably can't get a job there or anywhere since you want to post some mediocre answer that you just post. Well what if I don't get a software job then waht? All I'm gonna be good for is a dead end job getting only dimes and pennies?

ok, firstly I'd recommend not asking for help then swearing at those who do. 

Secondly, like others have said, it depends on your skill, experience, and what you can bring to the job. 

You might find it difficult in places where you need to pass security clearance (mine was hellishly invasive). However as long as you don't try to hide it and be honest at the interview stage then I can't see why it would be a problem.

so since you and other people keep saying it all depends you guys are basically telling me I have no chance now.

what no

ok let me dumb down my answer for you

it doesn't matter. they don't care about your ######## record. they will care about your degrees, and if you're like that in real life, your attitude

11 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

so since you and other people keep saying it all depends you guys are basically telling me I have no chance now.

I literally said the opposite. They will look at your experience, skills, and what you can bring to the job. 

Honestly though, I think your record is the least of your worries with an attitude like this. 

We're only trying to help.

I don't know how it works in your country, but here in the UK, criminal background checks by employers are called DBS checks, and they're only generally done in workplaces that involve young/vulnerable people. If I were to receive a police caution, it would stay on my record for 6 years and appear on all DBS checks within that time. Therefore I would have to state the caution in the job application process, as if I did not and was found out - I could possibly be fired from that job and face legal action. After 6 years, the caution is removed from the DBS database and will not longer appear to employers running a DBS check. However, it is still on the police database for the rest of your life, should the police have reason to run a background check on you.

A software engineering job generally would not perform a DBS check unless it involves working with young/vulnerable people, therefore you shouldn't worry about it, providing you have the knowledge/skills that the employer wants. That said, as mentioned earlier - if they ask about any criminal record and you don't mention anything - and then they find out you do have one, you'd face the possibility of losing your job and legal action.

You asked this same question in Sept ... 

Not convicted ... it was expunged so you don't have a criminal record. 

7 hours ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

so in other words no?

You give absolutely no explanation how much study of software engineering you already have.

do you study it currently already and thinking of a reason to quit it?

Are you only considering it?

You already asked the same question almost a year ago and you we're told since you don't have a criminal record it does not matter.

It is your skills and attitude that are important, but considering the way you react to the answers, you might have difficul time.

however it is not because of misdemeanor. 

5 hours ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Ok, but won't my record still prevent me from getting a software engineering regardless of the skills I have?

No. Since you did not get a criminal record?

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

You asked this same question in Sept ... 

Not convicted ... it was expunged so you don't have a criminal record. 

I knew i read something similar some time ago... I should have bothered to check.

I highly recommend getting some help with your attitude. As others said, it will depend on your skills and the value you are able to bring to the organization. However, if you do get hired and carry this ###### attitude with you, you'll be fired. Having a record and not being able to hold a job will hurt your chances of getting hired. Again, I suggest fixing your attitude.