Halo TV Series announced.

SHOWTIME, Amblin Television and 343 Industries Bring Halo to Television.

It’s a big day for Halo – today, SHOWTIME president and CEO David Nevins announced the network has ordered a 10-episode season based on the legendary video game franchise!

Source.

can't look at the source at work

i'm not sure how i'd feel about a TV adoption. Will this be following Master Chief / Cortana or will it follow a random Spartan group or something?

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

can't look at the source at work

i'm not sure how i'd feel about a TV adoption. Will this be following Master Chief / Cortana or will it follow a random Spartan group or something?

No story or plot details yet, only that it's ordered for 10, hour long, episodes.

There are parts of the story between the games they can touch on if they want to follow MC.   Otherwise you do it as spinoff/side stories and just use the same settings as the main games.   Doing the side story route would be playing it safe IMO and probably NOT what most Halo fans want.

7 minutes ago, George P said:

No story or plot details yet, only that it's ordered for 10, hour long, episodes.

There are parts of the story between the games they can touch on if they want to follow MC.   Otherwise you do it as spinoff/side stories and just use the same settings as the main games.   Doing the side story route would be playing it safe IMO and probably NOT what most Halo fans want.

my thoughts exactly

There's been a few spin-off stories now and I think fans are starting to bore of that side.

On the other end though following MC would be great but hard to pull off properly without pissing off fans. (though would be amazing to see MC in full glory like he's described in the books and not the nerfed version from the games [games would be completely unbalanced had he not been nerfed])

Personally haven't kept up with the Halo series since 3 since I don't own an XBOX but have always liked the universe so it should be interesting to see what direction they choose to go with this adaption

2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

my thoughts exactly

There's been a few spin-off stories now and I think fans are starting to bore of that side.

On the other end though following MC would be great but hard to pull off properly without pissing off fans.

Personally haven't kept up with the Halo series since 3 since I don't own an XBOX but have always liked the universe so it should be interesting to see what direction they choose to go with this adaption

If they want to follow MC, then you start with the fall of Reach novel as the base, I don't know how much you can cover with 10 hour long episodes, but might as well start there IMO.

As far as the games go, I think 4 and 5 get a bad rep narrative wise.   There are things that take place in 4 and 5 that tie back into things that happen in 2 and 3 and so on.    And even things that probably give hints about the next Halo game as well.   There's loads of vids on youtube covering this all.

There's also this massive  Halo "movie" on youtube that I saw, puts all the video bits together in chronological order, games, side vids etc etc, but it's 16hrs!    It's a good way to refresh yourself for those who plan to play the next Halo game.  Only thing I saw that it's missing is the events of Halo Wars 2.

I think it would be cool if they got MC's original voice actor from Combat Evolved to play MC in a starring role.

Aside from that hopeful, I'm not sure this would make for a good TV show. Maybe a movie?

10 minutes ago, satukoro said:

I think it would be cool if they got MC's original voice actor from Combat Evolved to play MC in a starring role.

Aside from that hopeful, I'm not sure this would make for a good TV show. Maybe a movie?

There's quite enough story to use/cover for a TV series, easily.    A movie by itself would probably leave chunks out.

16 minutes ago, George P said:

There's quite enough story to use/cover for a TV series, easily.    A movie by itself would probably leave chunks out. 

I think a movie for each of the first three games could be a neat little trilogy. Except this time the second one doesn't suck.

On 6/29/2018 at 5:03 AM, Jose_49 said:

Hmmmm. Dunno about that :/

Considering what Microsoft/343 have done with the games I'm not expecting much

343i gets a bad rep for no real reason,  Halo 4s story was sound and gave us solid character development while also tying back to events from Halo 2 and 3, same for Halo 5.  While fans not playing as MC for a lot in Halo 5 is a valid complaint, it's not like Bungie didn't pull the same thing with Halo 2 and the Arbiter.   

Anyone who knows a good bit about the Halo lore will notice things in 4 and 5 that go back to past events etc, there should be more credit given as far as narrative goes.   Sure you can fault them for art style changes, though a lot of Halo fans like it as well, same for the tone shift in 5 with music etc.   Art style and music tone are minor at this point IMO, but it's not like they don't listen to the community.   Halo 5 MP has seen a number of additions/tweaks/updates, it's all from feedback, and it's still going strong till this day, all those years later.  

So while you can fault 343i for things, the flat out hate is overblown.  

3 hours ago, George P said:

343i gets a bad rep for no real reason,  Halo 4s story was sound and gave us solid character development while also tying back to events from Halo 2 and 3, same for Halo 5.  While fans not playing as MC for a lot in Halo 5 is a valid complaint, it's not like Bungie didn't pull the same thing with Halo 2 and the Arbiter.   

Anyone who knows a good bit about the Halo lore will notice things in 4 and 5 that go back to past events etc, there should be more credit given as far as narrative goes.   Sure you can fault them for art style changes, though a lot of Halo fans like it as well, same for the tone shift in 5 with music etc.   Art style and music tone are minor at this point IMO, but it's not like they don't listen to the community.   Halo 5 MP has seen a number of additions/tweaks/updates, it's all from feedback, and it's still going strong till this day, all those years later.  

So while you can fault 343i for things, the flat out hate is overblown.  

I agree!

I only play Halo for its multiplayer, and what they've done with 5 has been fantastic. I'd say that it's probably the best Halo MP experience out there. But that's just my opinion.

I'm just not very convinced about the series, and I'm not blaming 343i or Microsoft in that regards... I just don't see it.

17 minutes ago, Jose_49 said:

I agree!

I only play Halo for its multiplayer, and what they've done with 5 has been fantastic. I'd say that it's probably the best Halo MP experience out there. But that's just my opinion.

I'm just not very convinced about the series, and I'm not blaming 343i or Microsoft in that regards... I just don't see it.

Have to see some story details personally,  if it's side stories then it could be ok but not what fans really want.  Most fans will probably tell you they want you to take the games, and or the books, and just make those into a tv series/movies.  So who knows?  We'll probably get plot details this winter as they start pre-production.

• 1 month later...

It makes things interesting now that we know MC will be a part of it, but not necessarily the main character, just one of them it sounds like.  Probably means we'll be following other spartans and ODST at key battles in the war etc.   I'm down for it.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...