Falcon 9: Telstar 19 Vantage commsat (mission)

Unobscured Vision

Yep! :D Friggin' beast of a booster for it's class. Nothing like it before. EVAH. I'm still watching the launch vid, they just did the second burn ... that Block-5 MVac is crazy powerful, and talk about precise!!! SpaceX absolutely stuck this GTO insert. Friggin' battlestar of a bird.

DocM

With a famous fan....

• Thanks 1

Unobscured Vision

Buzz has, in the past, been critical of SpaceX -- not because he was against Elon & Co. but because he wanted them to succeed. He's as big a fan as the rest of us.

Wait 'till he gets a load of BFR/BFS. Pretty sure he's on the short list for Mars.

DocM

Wow.....

DocM

More from Buzz

DocM

Wow....looks pretty clean!!

Block 3/4's launching a heavy GTO satellite came back extra crispy.

0E35D4A1-8115-4F91-9FFD-A71D71A2B1F9.thumb.jpeg.0b0eea77c8c8695b8bc80e16f2dc43b6.jpeg

JCSAT-14 "Max Damage"

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

Unobscured Vision

Yup, just another day at the office for Block-5's. Those same loads would be at the theoretical maximums for Block-3's, Block-4's were somewhat more robust at the top end, but (as we saw) still prone to damage that likely could snuff 'em if something was out-of-spec. Block-5 is where the real upgrades are. Not gonna kill them with fire like what could theoretically happen with the 3's & 4's.

Can't wait to see a Falcon Heavy with three of these getting all angry-like ... in fully-expendable mode ... it'll be VULGAR. Think Andrew Dice Clay, Sam Kinison and George Carlin in 1988: Ya better run. :laugh:

anthdci
2 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Can't wait to see a Falcon Heavy with three of these getting all angry-like ... in fully-expendable mode ... it'll be VULGAR. 

I doubt that’ll ever happen. They’ll delay whatever it is to ride in bfr 

Unobscured Vision

Maybe. I think we'll see one fully-expendable FH flight in "angry mode" (as I call it) before it's retired, if for no other reason then to prove Elon's vision was right all along.

DocM

They've said they can get ~90% of expended performance by expending just the center core and catching the boosters on d2 drone ships. $5 million more with reused cores.

• Like 1

Unobscured Vision

Well then! Angry mode with 66.6% less waste. Works for me!