Texas mother shoots man trying to steal car with children inside

10 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

Your contempt for human life shows itself again.

No, it's my content for violent criminals showing itself. 

And it's clear capitalism has warped your sense of justice when you're concerned more about the cost than anything else.

What "warped" my view is needing to intervene to prevent my father from being murdered by one of those wastes skin. The rest is rhetorical.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DocM said:

No, it's my content for violent criminals showing itself. 

You're content with violent criminals? Bizarre.

What "warped" my view is needing to intervene to prevent my father from being murdered by one of those wastes skin. The rest is rhetorical.

And your reaction to that is to support more violence? Brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, theyarecomingforyou said:

You're content with violent criminals? Bizarre.

It's known as an appropriate response to a threat.

And we aren't content with violent criminals; prevent where possible, lock 'em up if you can't, bury 'em if you need to.  Be prepared for any or all. In the end, it's their choice.

I'd be scarred for life seeing anyone shot in the head. Wonder if it's normal and acceptable in this situation to see people get shot in the US.

Shoot them in the leg first then play by ear. 

16 minutes ago, limok said:

I'd be scarred for life seeing anyone shot in the head. Wonder if it's normal and acceptable in this situation to see people get shot in the US.

lol.. you NEVER shoot anyone to just injure them, you shoot them to kill and stop the threat, never give someone a chance to retaliate in a violent situation like that. I'd had to see you react in a situation like that, you'd likely end up dead.

Plus, try shooting a moving target in the legs... i'd pay to see that...

1 hour ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

So what would be a proper solution? Throw flowers and teddy bears at criminals?

5 minutes ago, CrossCheck said:

Addressing the issues that bring them to criminal behaviour in the first place would be a good start.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, limok said:

Now there is ignorant advice that can get you killed instead. Good job. 

The ignorance of what it’s really like in the US is super prevalent in this thread too. 

2 hours ago, CrossCheck said:

People turn to crime because society has failed them. Usually these people have been denied a decent education, denied a stable childhood, denied any meaningful employment opportunities and have no decent rolemodels. The absolute priority is abolishing the capitalist economic model that has impoverished them. People should be provided a Universal Basic Income to provide for their essential needs; rent controls are necessary to prevent landlords pricing people out of the housing market; failing schools need to be given the resources to succeed; the justice system needs to be reformed so that it serves to rehabilitate criminals rather than hardening them; businesses should be forced to share their profits with employees to create an incentive for work; caps should be placed on the pay of executives and shareholders; recreational drugs should be legalised and controlled in a similar way to tobacco and alcohol.

It's very rare that well-educated, wealthy individuals turn to crime - criminality is driven by inequality and hardship. Therefore one needs to address the structural economic and societal issues responsible for people turning to crime. Society has failed if its people feel the need to resort to crime.

9 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I think the point he's making is that perhaps the guy didn't know there were kids in the car, and if he had, he wouldn't have tried to steal it.  Of course, that doesn't excuse his actions but its difficult to judge his motives with the info we have.  There have been plenty of cases where cars were jacked and then abandoned as soon as the perp realised there were kids inside.

But sure, when kids are involved, lethal force to protect them is expected and absolutely allowed but lethal force just for stealing a car is a bit of a stretch.  Would you advocate him being shot dead if he tried to steal an empty car?  No amount of property is worth a life, no matter what the perp may have done.  You don't get to place a dollar value on someone's life until such time as they become a physical threat.

i agree with you, i do not think stealing a car is punishable by death. However, like you even point out, it is unknown. With the unknown in a case like this, ANYONE - even including the person objecting to it - would use lethal force to protect a kidnapper from taking their kids. If they would say they wouldn't, they are lying. 

36 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

People turn to crime because society has failed them. Usually these people have been denied a decent education, denied a stable childhood, denied any meaningful employment opportunities and have no decent rolemodels. The absolute priority is abolishing the capitalist economic model that has impoverished them. People should be provided a Universal Basic Income to provide for their essential needs; rent controls are necessary to prevent landlords pricing people out of the housing market; failing schools need to be given the resources to succeed; the justice system needs to be reformed so that it serves to rehabilitate criminals rather than hardening them; businesses should be forced to share their profits with employees to create an incentive for work; caps should be placed on the pay of executives and shareholders; recreational drugs should be legalised and controlled in a similar way to tobacco and alcohol.

I am in agreement with universal income, but 100% disagree people turn to crime solely for the reasons you suggest. I know that a large portion do, but with a huge chunk of group, its just who they are.

36 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

It's very rare that well-educated, wealthy individuals turn to crime - criminality is driven by inequality and hardship. Therefore one needs to address the structural economic and societal issues responsible for people turning to crime. Society has failed if its people feel the need to resort to crime.

I don't know if this fits a fallacy description, but is something like it. While sounds like a obviously true statement, is it rare that well-educated people turn to crime... or... is it that people who have the ability to be well-educated see the harm in crime? Hope you know what I mean. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

i agree with you, i do not think stealing a car is punishable by death. However, like you even point out, it is unknown. With the unknown in a case like this, ANYONE - even including the person objecting to it - would use lethal force to protect a kidnapper from taking their kids. If they would say they wouldn't, they are lying. 

The issue is more the people celebrating her actions and use of violence. It's one thing to react that way in the heat of the moment, it's another to sit back casually and cheer on the use of violence or assert it would have been cheaper for the justice system if she'd just killed him. Certainly I can criticise the mother for wishing him dead after the fact.

1 minute ago, Rippleman said:

I am in agreement with universal income, but 100% disagree people turn to crime solely for the reasons you suggest. I know that a large portion do, but with some, its just who they are.

Of course. If you look I didn't say people only turned to crime for those reasons but that's certainly the case for the vast majority. And that's what needs to be addressed to significantly reduce crime.

1 minute ago, Rippleman said:

I don't know if this fits a fallacy description, but is something like it. While sounds like a obviously true statement, is it rare that well-educated people turn to crime... or... is it that people who have the ability to be well-educated see the harm in crime? Hope you know what I mean. 

I'm not sure it's that they see the harm in crime but that they benefit more from not resorting to crime - they have more to lose. Crime is usually the resort of the desperate and when it is widespread people become acclimated to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

Oh of course, and as I've said repeatedly, I have zero problem with the mother opening fire on him.   My only issue here is with the people (including the mother), wishing death on the guy AFTER the incident...

• Like 2

How dare she shoot 36-year old unarmed while black Ricky Wright in the face, nearly ending his life (no word besides him being in the hospital). He didn't do nothing, was a good man, about to finish college and get his Ph.d in the field of dentistry. He was just so happy about graduating that he wanted to show his love for the children in a nearby vehicle by driving them to the nearby dental office he wanted to work at and to give them a smile of a time with clean healthy teeth.

That said...

"she jumped into the back seat and told the man - later identified by police as 36-year-old Ricky Wright - to stop driving.

After he refused, she reached into the glove compartment to retrieve a handgun, and fired one shot at his face."

Damn that was savage.

Edited by Morisato

5 hours ago, limok said:

It's gruesome, but worse if it's you.

In many inner city neighborhoods, especially East St. Louis, south Chicago, and certain districts in Oakland, Baltimore and Detroit, seeing someone get shot is relatively common. 

5 hours ago, limok said:

When people take approved training for a concealed carry permit, or when cops are trained, they are taught not to shoot for extremities. 

Problem: it's a low percentage shot, hitting the aiming point in the single-digit percentages. This then increases the likelihood of the now-stray bullet hitting a bystander , entering a building or ricocheting to who knows where.

What is taught: aim for the center of body mass (trunk/heart) or head. Higher percentage shots, and the most likely to debilitate. 

If they aren't immediately debilitated they can shoot back.

Edited by DocM

15 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Addressing the issues that bring them to criminal behaviour in the first place would be a good start.

About 2/3 of male and 1/3 of female prisoners have ASPD, antisocial personality disorder - AKA psychopathy.  Prevalence in the population: ~3%, or 9.6 million in the US. 

Some with ASPD are violent criminals, some not. Whichever, treatment can't be enforced unless the courts order it, which means they get a freebie or two...three...four...before getting a stiff sentence. 

So much for intervention.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:27 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

Shot in the face? I'd be amazed if he survived that...

One of the most survivable shootings. midline chest (aortic/chamber disruption), shoulders (subclavian artery), and pelvis (femoral and descending aorta) are the single quickest, and most lethal way to go. When we see shots to these areas we are usually going to go down the road of a thoracotomy with a 5-10% survival rate.

1 hour ago, DocM said:

About 2/3 of male and 1/3 of female prisoners have ASPD, antisocial personality disorder - AKA psychopathy.  Prevalence in the population: ~3%, or 9.6 million in the US. 

Some with ASPD are violent criminals, some not. Whichever, treatment can't be enforced unless the courts order it, which means they get a freebie or two...three...four...before getting a stiff sentence. 

So much for intervention.

Excuses excuses.  So your solution is to do nothing?

Perhaps if you started looking after your fellow Americans instead of washing your hands of the problem, the percentage of incidents would drop?  In fact, I know it will. When the UK implemented "care in the community" back in the 80's, crime rates increased. This is now recognized as a BIIIIG mistake.  Fortunately we DO still have the NHS so people can still get their treatment for free.  In the US, where you have to bankrupt yourself if you have anything more serious than a hangnail? No bloody chance...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Excuses excuses.  So your solution is to do nothing?

Didn't say that, just explaining the legal situation after the (progressively driven) deinstitutionalization movements of the 1970's and 1980's. The pendulum swung way to far.

3 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Perhaps if you started looking after your fellow Americans instead of washing your hands of the problem, the percentage of incidents would drop?

Who said wash our hands? Changes are needed yes,  but it'll take legal changes that progressives and other civil libertarians will fight tooth and claw. 

• Like 2

Who said wash our hands? Changes are needed yes,  but it'll take legal changes that progressives and other civil libertarians will fight tooth and claw. 

Then it's high time they were made to get this sorted out by the voting public.  Assuming you guys WANT this sorted out, of course.

If a politician isn't doing their job, its time to stop voting for that politician and find one who will.  Also, please see my edit.

50 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Then it's high time they were made to get this sorted out by the voting public.  Assuming you guys WANT this sorted out, of course.

If a politician isn't doing their job, its time to stop voting for that politician and find one who will.  Also, please see my edit.

It's not necessarily the politicians but the NGO's who hold their leashes. Then there's HIPAA*, a federal medical  law whose privacy provisions can act at cross-purposes to common sense. Also, many shrinks are bigtime civil libertarians who won't report a deeply disturbed 'toon.

* Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996

35 minutes ago, DocM said:

It's not necessarily the politicians but the NGO's who hold their leashes. Then there's HIPAA*, a federal medical  law whose privacy provisions can act at cross-purposes to common sense. Also, many shrinks are bigtime civil libertarians who won't report a deeply disturbed 'toon.

* Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996

It should be every medical professional's responsibility to report patients they believe to be dangerous to the police. They certainly do here.

On 7/6/2018 at 11:51 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

I think the point he's making is that perhaps the guy didn't know there were kids in the car, and if he had, he wouldn't have tried to steal it. 

Yeah man, just like that time I drove drunk and killed a family of four.  The cops came and I told them that had I known I would have killed people by drinking and driving, I wouldn't have done it.  They let me off with a warning.  Because you know, I didn't know what consequences my actions would bring. /s

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Open Minded said:

Yeah man, just like that time I drove drunk and killed a family of four.  The cops came and I told them that had I known I would have killed people by drinking and driving, I wouldn't have done it.  They let me off with a warning.  Because you know, I didn't know what consequences my actions would bring. /s

*sigh* One of the worst strawman arguments I've seen on here in a long long time. You're not very good at this, are you? :p

• Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 1:07 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

Oh of course, and as I've said repeatedly, I have zero problem with the mother opening fire on him.   My only issue here is with the people (including the mother), wishing death on the guy AFTER the incident...

Others, you might have a point. Personally. while I don't wish death on him, I would not feel the least bit of sorrow to hear that something nasty did happen to him because of this.

The mother OTOH is perfectly entitled to her feelings about the man who threatened her children.