Annoying Ad Popped up While on Main Page

While browsing the front page of Neowin a rather anoying add took place of the tab I was on, the computer is virus/malware/spyware free

I was unable to close the tab.  When interacting with cancel buttons the browser went into full screen mode. The only way I Could exit was to endTask the browser and not restore the previous session

the URL and Screen shot of what happend are attached

I have not posted clickable links for the safty of the other members of this site,

Can some one look into this please,

image.thumb.png.47dce49ef34e2a77ef5456a28db57bb9.pngneowinadd.thumb.PNG.54ba2a2fa64b4b7e8adefbe5909b03fa.PNG

image.png

Edited by Jason S.
thread title edited for accuracy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Intersect said:

While browsing the front page of Neowin a rather anoying add took place of the tab I was on, the computer is virus/malware/spyware free

I was unable to close the tab.  When interacting with cancel buttons the browser went into full screen mode. The only way I Could exit was to endTask the browser and not restore the previous session

the URL and Screen shot of what happend are attached

I have not posted clickable links for the safty of the other members of this site,

Can some one look into this please,

Looks the same to this.  Sure it is not your PC?

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-firefox-requires-a-manual-update/

And what I searched for to find this....

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+screen+popup+firefox+requires+a+manual+update+to+the+current+version&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

yep 100% sure its not the laptop  it was very recently (ie) today with malwarebytes enterprise edtion that i get as part of a perk from work

mcafee livesafe is fully uptodate as well  no issues have been detected

1 minute ago, Intersect said:

yep 100% sure its not the laptop  it was very recently (ie) today with malwarebytes enterprise edtion that i get as part of a perk from work

mcafee livesafe is fully uptodate as well  no issues have been detected

Well, from the links and search, looks like malware to me.  And this is a redirect malware that will infect IE, FF, and Chrome.

thanks for the feedback, but I am confident that my system is clean. I don't browse for torrents and other areas of the net that stuff like this comes from.  so god knows where its come from.  this is not the 1st time that adds on neowin have delivered iffy content.  Crome is not installed and never has been and I have double checked the installed programs via WMIC  and add remove programs and there are no nefarious items listed.

It's not malware. It's a Javascript page to try and get you to install malware. 

The “Firefox requires a manual update” alert is displayed by malicious or hacked websites to force the users into installing malicious Firefox add-ons. The alerts generated by the malicious sites will display the following message

Most likely it's coming from the advertising company that they use here. 

Just now, Joe User said:

It's not malware. It's a Javascript page to try and get you to install malware. 

The “Firefox requires a manual update” alert is displayed by malicious or hacked websites to force the users into installing malicious Firefox add-ons. The alerts generated by the malicious sites will display the following message

extensions/addons like this are classified as malware.  basically software designed to do something malicious.  In this case, link to another site to download more junk.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

extensions/addons like this are classified as malware.  basically software designed to do something malicious.  In this case, link to another site to download more junk.

This is a phishing attack. MBAM doesn't always catch those.

i am aware of what the site attempted to do,  I am not worried as my browsing sessions are allways sandboxed,  it was just an observation that I thought the site should be aware of

1 minute ago, Intersect said:

i am aware of what the site attempted to do,  I am not worried as my browsing sessions are allways sandboxed,  it was just an observation that I thought the site should be aware of

I agree, this is on Neowin to fix. It's not your computer.

• Like 1

1) remove proxy

2)remove addons

3)install chrome

blocked the .cool domain and have updated the malwarebytes policys on the Management console at work.

thanks for the contributions guys  :beer: for all that deserve it