• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0

Text verification with no phone?

Question

Zathras5    164

I notice more and more sites are asking to send text messages for identity verification. The problem is I'm physically disabled & don't have a cellphone or cell service. Is there any service, free or paid, that will enable me to get a phone number to receive these text messages on pc? I know there are sites with free public numbers to get a text but those numbers don't usually work in these verification situations.

 

I usually ask someone to get the texts for me in these situations but I'd rather not bother anyone & just do it myself. 

 

Is there any safe, legit site or service out there that will work everywhere. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
techbeck    6,175
5 minutes ago, Zathras5 said:

I notice more and more sites are asking to send text messages for identity verification. The problem is I'm physically disabled & don't have a cellphone or cell service. Is there any service, free or paid, that will enable me to get a phone number to receive these text messages on pc? I know there are sites with free public numbers to get a text but those numbers don't usually work in these verification situations.

 

I usually ask someone to get the texts for me in these situations but I'd rather not bother anyone & just do it myself. 

 

Is there any safe, legit site or service out there that will work everywhere. Thanks

Google Voice.  Used it for years.  Free number and can use it for voicemail, calling, text...I use my Google Voice number for those who I do not want to give my real number to.   I also use it for verification like from MS, Google, and other sites.

 

https://voice.google.com/u/0/signup

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Zathras5    164

Thanks, but I thought google voice forwards to another number. Can I use it without that happening? I don't quite understand how this google voice works.... I don't want anything that will disrupt my regular home phone in anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Zathras5    164

Ok, I set up a Google Voice number but it's the same problem... it doesn't work for these identity verification things. At least it didn't work at Swagbucks. I'll see if I can try somewhere else.

 

Any other ideas are welcome.

 

Edit: Tried 2 other sites, neither excepted the gv number.

Edited by Zathras5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,150

If you wee a company wanting to "verify" a user is Billy Sixpack... No you would not accept some GV number since any buddy can get one of those.  Prob want to know the phone number is from carrier that has the users info that is tied to the phone #, etc..

 

What does being disabled have to do not having a cell phone?  Seems like a non sequitur to me..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
neufuse    3,210
25 minutes ago, BudMan said:

If you wee a company wanting to "verify" a user is Billy Sixpack... No you would not accept some GV number since any buddy can get one of those.  Prob want to know the phone number is from carrier that has the users info that is tied to the phone #, etc..

 

What does being disabled have to do not having a cell phone?  Seems like a non sequitur to me..

can't afford the additional expense on a fixed disability income? duno just a wild guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,390
25 minutes ago, BudMan said:

What does being disabled have to do not having a cell phone?  Seems like a non sequitur to me..

I have to ask this as well. I am disabled myself, and I use a cell phone just fine. If you can type on a keyboard, you can use a phone.

 

If you can't afford it, there are free cell services that give you so many minutes and data per month.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    1,882
2 hours ago, Zathras5 said:

Thanks, but I thought google voice forwards to another number. Can I use it without that happening? I don't quite understand how this google voice works.... I don't want anything that will disrupt my regular home phone in anyway.

for voice calls yes. for text you can text directly from the site/app

 

used to do this all the time back when i had a non-smart phone that had texting blocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,390
4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

 

used to do this all the time back when i had a non-smart phone that had texting blocked.

That's known as a dumb-phone. (my Mom uses one...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Zathras5    164

I have no use of my hands. I'm using a joystick with my mouth and eye gaze software to operate my pc. I suppose there is some way to adapt a cellphone so someone like me could use one but I'm not going to bother with all that for this 1 purpose... I have no use for a cell otherwise...

 

So if there is someway to get around these verification things with some online service that would be ideal. But I gather there aren't any other options?

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

for voice calls yes. for text you can text directly from the site/app

Thanks, yeah, I figured that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,390

You can write like that with no hands? Sounds a little far fetched to me... But, try the suggested above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
techbeck    6,175

Never had an issue using a Google number for verification.  Has always worked.  A lot of times, sites have more than one method to verify who you are.  Like an email address.  So I would check that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
techbeck    6,175
8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You can write like that with no hands? Sounds a little far fetched to me... But, try the suggested above.

this tech has been around for a while now.  and with predictive/suggestive text, makes it even easier/quicker.  I  Plenty of info online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Zathras5    164
6 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Never had an issue using a Google number for verification.  Has always worked.  A lot of times, sites have more than one method to verify who you are.  Like an email address.  So I would check that as well.

That's what I usually do but lately I've been running into a lot of sites requiring sms.

 

I wonder if it matters what type of phone line you associate your Google number with. I used my home phone which is a VoIP based line... I assume you used your cell number?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Steven P.    10,336
1 hour ago, Zathras5 said:

I have no use of my hands. I'm using a joystick with my mouth and eye gaze software to operate my pc. I suppose there is some way to adapt a cellphone so someone like me could use one but I'm not going to bother with all that for this 1 purpose... I have no use for a cell otherwise...

 

So if there is someway to get around these verification things with some online service that would be ideal. But I gather there aren't any other options?

Thanks, yeah, I figured that out.

There's a few US services you can look into here https://tech-vise.com/get-a-usa-phone-number-easily-with-these-services/ 

 

Line2 https://www.line2.com/plans might have what you need, but ultimately you will need a paid service to get around the blocks most companies put on "free" online call/text services.

 

I do feel your pain at having to jump though more and more hoops to be verified online, all thanks to idiots, trolls and hackers!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,390
20 minutes ago, techbeck said:

this tech has been around for a while now.  and with predictive/suggestive text, makes it even easier/quicker.  I  Plenty of info online.

Hm, guess I never looked into it. Just my ignorance, I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Nick H.    8,632
1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

You can write like that with no hands? Sounds a little far fetched to me... But, try the suggested above.

Not at all. I had a user that had a motorcycle accident, completely quadriplegic. We were able to provide him with the necessary equipment to allow him to work. It was kinda cool to see, if it weren't for the fact that he originally had the use of all his limbs. :/

 

Unfortunately I wasn't involved with looking in to the software, and the software involved didn't involve the two-factor authentication. Do they not offer an option that doesn't involve a phone? Most seem to offer a separate email address these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    1,882
1 hour ago, Zathras5 said:

That's what I usually do but lately I've been running into a lot of sites requiring sms.

 

I wonder if it matters what type of phone line you associate your Google number with. I used my home phone which is a VoIP based line... I assume you used your cell number?

google voice assigns you a new phone number (that you choose from a list of available numbers)

it's its own thing/service

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Zathras5    164
Just now, Brandon H said:

google voice assigns you a new phone number (that you choose from a list of available numbers)

it's its own thing/service

Yes but you still have to verify & associate the google account with a different phone number. You don't have to forward anything to that different number but it still needs to be in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Nick H.    8,632
On 7/12/2018 at 1:23 AM, Zathras5 said:

Yes but you still have to verify & associate the google account with a different phone number. You don't have to forward anything to that different number but it still needs to be in there.

Google normally asks if you want to do two-factor authentication through a mobile number or a separate email address?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Zathras5    164
1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

Google normally asks if you want to do two-factor authentication through a mobile number or a separate email address?

You're right, just not for Google Voice... that requires a number.

 

 

I've given up on all this... Someday I guess we'll all be logging in with our bio-chips anyways.🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Nick H.    8,632
13 minutes ago, Zathras5 said:

You're right, just not for Google Voice... that requires a number.

 

 

I've given up on all this... Someday I guess we'll all be logging in with our bio-chips anyways.🤨

After a quick look, you can use a trusted computer for the two-factor authentication. Do you have a second device that you can log in with? If you don't then you'll have the same problem using a "new" device that the service doesn't recognise...

 

There has to be an option available for people without a phone. Google can't have got this far without thinking about this...I'm not giving up yet, I'll keep looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Zathras5    164

Thanks Nick H. but I already have the google voice account... the issue is that the google voice number isn't being accepted at the other sites I want to use it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.