Wish Me Luck

Everyone wish me luck as I am going to take the MAC OS Service and Support exam in a few hours!!! I plan to follow it up with the Desktop and Portable Exams in a few weeks!!

If I pass I will be professionally certified in a Microsoft, Linux, and Mac Platforms. :laugh:

Back to cramming I go!!!

****This Just In****

Ok before I tell you if I passed or not, I have to tell the whole story. Here Goes:

You all know that I am a new mac user. I just got my PB and G5 like 3 weeks ago. Well seing as how I am an arrogant ****** I figured that why not go get apple certified, I'm an I.T. Guru I can do it!!!

So, I ordered the AppleCare Tech Training kit and got underway. I finally get the kit in the mail yesterday, and log into apples site to find out that all of the material is online, not on the included cd's. Whatever....I print out the material and start to bang away. About an hour into studying I decide to schedule my exam for next tuesday(this helps ensure that I keep at it). So there was nothing to do at work, so I ripped out the study materials and fly through them like warm butter! I get htis brilliant idea that I should reschedule the exam today while it is fresh in my mind. No problem. I finish up with the guide with tons of time to spare. So I figure why not go to the tech site and get a bit more indepth with some of the unfamiliar topics like cocoa and carbon etc..

WTF!!!

I somehow managed to miss the 2 other main categories sections for the exam....OMFG I am a muppet!!!

So basically there is a OS X section, A Classic section, and an OS 10.2 section....... Not only that but I just printed the overview of the OSX section, not even the whole thing!!! F%$K me, I rush to call and postpone and no dice, I am sure to loose out on $150 big ones :angry:

My boss and co I.T. guys are like you dumb bastid!!!!

Jump ahead to the testing site. I am telling the lady about how there is no way I will pass, and that our "training director" gave me the wrong materilas etc... just to save face for when I come out a failure..

I start the test and for the first time I am not nervous (cause I know I failed). Wait I knoe this one....wtf does that mean....I have no idea...i think it's this......(some of the thoughts that were going through my mind).

So test is over, i shake my head in embarrasement and click view results........ :x

"You Passed 73%"

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :woot:

I couldn't believe it. Well that's my story hope you find it as funny as I did....

Edited by suntzu

I used the overview section of the OSX portion from apple's tech training site. You have to register for a tech ID, and but the apple care tech training kit ($299) to get access to the courses. Overall it was not a very difficult exam. I did very poorly on the classic mode because I've NEVER used it in my life. But the user management, networking, troubleshooting was all very easy. Here is the official breakdown:

The Mac OS Service and Support Exam covers a number of topics in fourteen areas:

Mac OS Service and Support Exam Content Areas

Installing Mac OS X (4 items)

Identify the differences between HFS, HFS+ and UFS

Check the installation target disk with Disk Utility/First Aid

Verify, reset, and update a system's firmware

Identify the differences between Easy Install, Archive Install, and Clean Install

Mac OS X Boot Process (1 item)

Identify the order in which the seven steps in the boot sequence occur

List five startup items in Mac OS X

Given a startup scenario, identify the step in the boot process where the issue occurred

Mac OS X Basic Usage (4 items)

Use Aqua features in the following: Finder, Desktop, TextEdit and the Dock

Identify the location of these Mac OS X folders: Applications, Documents, Preferences, Fonts and Caches

Use Get Info to verify the permissions of, change the name of, and control the application that opens a file

Mac OS System Preferences (1 item)

Name thirteen System Preferences and describe their functions

Identify the difference between Personal and System-wide Preferences

Identify the function of the padlock in some System Preferences

Mac OS X Classic (4 items)

Launch the Classic environment by opening a Mac OS 9 application

Use the Classic system preference to start, stop and restart Classic

Identify three Mac OS 9.2 items that are NOT used in Mac OS X

Locate the fonts used in Classic

Mac OS X Internet Access (2 items)

Configure the computer for TCP/IP on an Ethernet interface using DHCP

Configure the computer for TCP/IP for a modem using PPP

Managing Mac OS Users (13 items)

Create, edit, and delete system users

Distinguish between three user types in Mac OS X

Set Read & Write privileges on a folder for a user

Demonstrate the effect of access privileges on one file

Identify the interaction and differences between permissions used by folders and those used by files

Reset a user's password using the GUI or Install CD

Install fonts into /Library/Fonts, ~/Library/Fonts, and Classic fonts

Explain the function of the /User/Shared folder

Identify the location and purpose of the user's Home folder

Mac OS X Networking/Filesharing (11 items)

Configure Network Preferences to use TCP/IP

Connect to shared AFP, SMB, WebDAV, FTP,, and NFS volumes

Enable personal file sharing and identify what is shared by another system

Configure the network settings for a new workstation

Identify possible issues such as mail server or Web server connection

Verify the network configuration

Enable Web sharing

Configure a personal FireWall on the Client system

Mac OS X Printing and Peripherals (5 items)

Configure two printers to share on a network

Install a PostScript Printer Description for a printer not supported by Mac OS X

Configure an LPR printer

Print a document in Mac OS X

Print a document using a Classic application

List the requirements to use a Bluetooth device.

Mac OS X Tools (13 items)

Identify and use utilities such as Disk Utility, Apple System Profiler, Process Viewer, Console, Network Utility, Terminal, AirPort Admin Utility, and Setup Assistant

Restart Mac OS X in three operating system modes such as Verbose, Single User mode, and Safe Mode

Locate an installation log in Mac OS X

Identify a Kernel Panic and locate the associated log

Use Disk Utility to repair permissions on a disk

Use Disk Copy to mount an image on the desktop

Describe the consequences of disabling AppleTalk in Directory Access

Locate and identify common log files in Mac OS X

List four ways to Force Quit an application

Mac OS X Line Commands (5 items)

Use command fsck -y in place of Disk Utility to repair the volume directory

Demonstrate four ways to get a command line in Mac OS X and define when it is appropriate to help a customer do this

Use the halt and reboot commands to shut down and restart the computer from the Terminal window

Locate the system.log file and collect information contained in it

View a man page in Mac OS X

Mac OS X Miscellaneous (3 items)

Identify standard components such as extension, caches, startup items, and preferences

Identify hidden folders installed as part of Mac OS X

Identify the locations for storing users' documents

Identify where files in the trash reside

Given a deleted user's password, describe what happens to the keychain preferences

Mac OS X Troubleshooting (9 items)

Given a Mac OS X application that is not working, troubleshoot and resolve the issue

Given a network connection issue, use Network Utility to isolate the issue.

Given an external device, use Apple System Profiler to locate the device

Given a corrupted preference, trash the corrupted preference and create a new preference

Mac OS 9 Troubleshooting (5 items)

Use the following applications: Sherlock, Disk First Aid, Drive Setup and Apple System Profiler.

Explain what Control Panels are, what they do, and where they are located

Explain what extension are, what they do and where extensions are located

Outline the startup process for Mac OS 9

?

congrats! :woot: I thought you'd have to get an 80% at least to pass and get certified; arn't the cisco exams like ccna like that? I always thought that for those certification things you'd need a final in the 80's at least :p

It varies from cert to cert this test required a 68% to pass. Cisco exams are harsh for the ccna you need an 80% and if you fail you need a 90% or better to pass next time round...lol

I now have my:

Comptia

Network+

Inet+

A+

Linux+

Server+

Microsoft

Windows 2000 MCP

Windows XP MCP

Almost ACDT and ACPT :D

I'm beginning my certification quests. I'm currently studying my A+ (2/3rds through) and after that I will be doing my Network+.

Looking a bit into the future, I want to get MCSE certified and get some kind of Mac exam under my belt.

Everyone wish me luck as I am going to take the MAC OS Service and Support exam in a few hours!!! I plan to follow it up with the Desktop and Portable Exams in a few weeks!!

If I pass I will be professionally certified in a Microsoft, Linux, and Mac Platforms. :laugh:

Back to cramming I go!!!

****This Just In****

Ok before I tell you if I passed or not, I have to tell the whole story. Here Goes:

You all know that I am a new mac user. I just got my PB and G5 like 3 weeks ago. Well seing as how I am an arrogant ****** I figured that why not go get apple certified, I'm an I.T. Guru I can do it!!!

So, I ordered the AppleCare Tech Training kit and got underway. I finally get the kit in the mail yesterday, and log into apples site to find out that all of the material is online, not on the included cd's. Whatever....I print out the material and start to bang away. About an hour into studying I decide to schedule my exam for next tuesday(this helps ensure that I keep at it). So there was nothing to do at work, so I ripped out the study materials and fly through them like warm butter! I get htis brilliant idea that I should reschedule the exam today while it is fresh in my mind. No problem. I finish up with the guide with tons of time to spare. So I figure why not go to the tech site and get a bit more indepth with some of the unfamiliar topics like cocoa and carbon etc..

WTF!!!

I somehow managed to miss the 2 other main categories sections for the exam....OMFG I am a muppet!!!

So basically there is a OS X section, A Classic section, and an OS 10.2 section....... Not only that but I just printed the overview of the OSX section, not even the whole thing!!! F%$K me, I rush to call and postpone and no dice, I am sure to loose out on $150 big ones :angry:

My boss and co I.T. guys are like you dumb bastid!!!!

Jump ahead to the testing site. I am telling the lady about how there is no way I will pass, and that our "training director" gave me the wrong materilas etc... just to save face for when I come out a failure..

I start the test and for the first time I am not nervous (cause I know I failed). Wait I knoe this one....wtf does that mean....I have no idea...i think it's this......(some of the thoughts that were going through my mind).

So test is over, i shake my head in embarrasement and click view results........ :x

"You Passed 73%"

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :woot:

I couldn't believe it. Well that's my story hope you find it as funny as I did....

Congrats man that amazing