• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

What makes Windows 8 a better touch-capable OS than Windows 10?

Question

Jose_49    787

Let's add some fuel to the fire... Nah... I'm just curious. This is not a matter of bashing or disrespecting others' opinions. I want to know why people say that Windows 8 is more touch-capable that Windows 10

I have experienced both of them in tablets (Surface Pro devices), and File Explorer, Context Menu, Applications, Task View, Action Center, all of them have bigger target sizes and respond better with touch than Windows 8.

What are the features that you say that Windows 8 do better than Windows 10 when it comes to touch? (If any). If not, I'd love to read your opinion, as well.

14 answers to this question

zhangm    1,283

I think that the current versions of Windows 10 have taken more steps to make programs on the desktop side more touch-accessible. We've also seen some improvements in major program suites like Office, since the early days of Windows 8. I think the issue is a bit clouded by Microsoft pushing a "new way" of interacting with Windows by touch with 8 - many of us picked it up, and then had to switch gears again with 10.

I think there is also a distinction between an OS catering towards devices that support touch as a complementary HID component (a touch panel-equipped laptop or convertible) vs catering to devices where touch is the primary means of input (tablets). 8 accommodated (or promoted) the latter group of devices by heavily emphasizing non-windowed apps that split the entire display area, and gestures (Charms and the App Switcher) - essentially the defaults were primarily aimed at touch (except you could still get around using traditional HID methods). 10 has made significant progress in enabling the OS to adapt to the device.

Not sure I see 8 as better for touch since 10 has refined and broadened the scope of what accommodates touch-input.

• Like 1

Joe User    415
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jose_49 said:

What are the features that you say that Windows 8 do better than Windows 10 when it comes to touch? (If any). If not, I'd love to read your opinion, as well.

None really, I think 10 surpassed 8 a (albeit short) while ago.

• Like 1

techbeck    6,183
17 hours ago, Jose_49 said:

I want to know why people say that Windows 8 is more touch-capable that Windows 10

I am assuming people have told you this personally, or you read it, so curious as to their reasons why they think it is better.   Personally, I don't notice much difference in my usage and when you put Win10 in tablet mode with a full screen start menu.

• Like 1

Jose_49    787
39 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I am assuming people have told you this personally, or you read it, so curious as to their reasons why they think it is better. 

Yup. I've read it here on the news. I know most people talk without ever thinking or trying a product, 

techbeck    6,183
4 minutes ago, Jose_49 said:

Yup. I've read it here on the news. I know most people talk without ever thinking or trying a product, 

Yea, not a good source of info.  Same things with professional product reviews done in an office and controlled environment.  I would rather read reviews from people who used something for a long time with real world usage.

• Like 2

Brandon H    1,890

at the start 10 was far inferior on touch compared to 8. with each major build though they've added back missing gestures and features and now with this years Spring Creators Update I believe Windows 10 surpasses 8 in touch usability. I just dug out my Dell 8" tablet earlier this month and updated to the spring update and i love the current experience now. this tablet started on 8.1 when i originally bought it for reference and its going strong again.

• Like 1

Son_Of_Dad    1,119

Don't even need to delve deep on this one the primary interface on 8(.1) was swipe left/right through your primary apps, swipe up for all apps and swipe in from the right for common tasks such as settings and sharing. All very simple and nice to use on a tablet. On windows 10 it's swipe up/down through primary apps, move up to the top left corner for all apps while settings/sharing could be anywhere on screen.

While apps functionality has improved over time (just as they did under 8 ) some things have gone backwards for touch - thumbnails for open apps when swiping from the left are small since RS4 and mixed in with the near useless history/timeline "feature". Then you have the special needs child known as Settings, large icons were switched for tiles for no reason.

I fail to see how File Explorer is marginally  different in Windows 10 than Windows 8.1 it's a legacy application that's not built for touch in the slightest, you almost require Steve Mobs "chiseled finger" for working it for any extended use. Just how long have MS been promising an Explorer app for?

Jose_49    787
4 hours ago, Son_Of_Dad said:

Don't even need to delve deep on this one the primary interface on 8(.1) was swipe left/right through your primary apps, swipe up for all apps and swipe in from the right for common tasks such as settings and sharing. All very simple and nice to use on a tablet. On windows 10 it's swipe up/down through primary apps, move up to the top left corner for all apps while settings/sharing could be anywhere on screen.

While apps functionality has improved over time (just as they did under 8 ) some things have gone backwards for touch - thumbnails for open apps when swiping from the left are small since RS4 and mixed in with the near useless history/timeline "feature". Then you have the special needs child known as Settings, large icons were switched for tiles for no reason.

I fail to see how File Explorer is marginally  different in Windows 10 than Windows 8.1 it's a legacy application that's not built for touch in the slightest, you almost require Steve Mobs "chiseled finger" for working it for any extended use. Just how long have MS been promising an Explorer app for?

Gotcha. 

In regards of the timeline... What if you were able to disable it? 

https://www.howtogeek.com/348138/how-to-disable-the-timeline-on-windows-10/

+warwagon    11,365

The charms bar. I love the charms bar.

• Like 2

Brandon H    1,890
30 minutes ago, warwagon said:

The charms bar. I love the charms bar.

i liked it as well but it wasn't exactly the most practical (especially where mouse was concerned), i hated that the mouse would get 'held' in the top/bottom corners and activate when going between monitors if you didn't go through the middle.

I'd say the action center is a nice evolution of the charms bar; especially since it doubles as a notification center.

+warwagon    11,365
27 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

i liked it as well but it wasn't exactly the most practical (especially where mouse was concerned), i hated that the mouse would get 'held' in the top/bottom corners and activate when going between monitors if you didn't go through the middle.

I'd say the action center is a nice evolution of the charms bar; especially since it doubles as a notification center.

I fired up my acer w500 tablet with windows 8 recently and swipping in from the right side is so natural, I love it.

Brandon H    1,890
6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I fired up my acer w500 tablet with windows 8 recently and swipping in from the right side is so natural, I love it.

you can do that with the action center now too :). not sure when they finally added the gesture back but it's in the latest spring update from this year. 

swipe from left brings up timeline/app switcher

swipe from right brings up action center

and swipe from top closes the active app/allows to snap to side.

the only thing still lacking some touch functionality is Edge and they're quickly improving that too :)

• Like 1

Son_Of_Dad    1,119
7 hours ago, Jose_49 said:

In regards of the timeline... What if you were able to disable it? 

https://www.howtogeek.com/348138/how-to-disable-the-timeline-on-windows-10/

Yes I understand it can be disabled I think it's a feature that shouldn't be enabled by default, the switch for it being under privacy is going to be lost on an average user and if when it's off thumbnails of active applications still seem smaller than older versions (I'm comparing RS4 running on a SP3 to RS3 running on a NSP)

• Like 1

linettereed    2

Windows 10 is much better now and is definitely a step in the right direction when compared with win8.