Notepad is getting an update

It's been mentioned on TheVerge and on Gamers Nexus YouTube channel that Notepad is getting an update for the first time since the 1990's.

Notepad is getting big files support, Linux and Mac line endings, line and column support with word wrap on, text zooming, and more mentioned here https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/17563704/microsoft-windows-notepad-app-update

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Considering there are better alternatives, no. 

Well, there are alternatives, yes. But I've seen a lot of people recommend it, so... :whistle:

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Well, there are alternatives, yes. But I've seen a lot of people recommend it, so... :whistle:

Congrats?

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

People sometimes can be stubborn to change. Unfortunately notepad is a classic example. At least you can edit stuff without breaking Linux

2 hours ago, sinetheo said:

People sometimes can be stubborn to change. Unfortunately notepad is a classic example. At least you can edit stuff without breaking Linux

Umm, notebook wouldn't break Linux... It's not an executable. It can not break your system.

I've used Linux for about 8 years now. Personally, I like Geany... (I use nano in terminal)

On 7/15/2018 at 4:10 AM, Mindovermaster said:

Hi,

Can you share some alternatives that you like? I have quite a nice customised Notepad++ setup with plugins etc, but always willing to consider potentially better options.

35 minutes ago, VWW said:

Hi,

Can you share some alternatives that you like? I have quite a nice customised Notepad++ setup with plugins etc, but always willing to consider potentially better options.

I normally use Geany. It's Linux software.

9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I normally use Geany. It's Linux software.

Thanks. I'll check it out for when I do my Linux dev, but 90% of the time I'm on Windows. Any alternative suggestions for Windows?

On 7/15/2018 at 4:08 AM, adrynalyne said:

Considering there are better alternatives, no. 

Any thoughts adrynalyne?

35 minutes ago, VWW said:

Thanks. I'll check it out for when I do my Linux dev, but 90% of the time I'm on Windows. Any alternative suggestions for Windows?

Any thoughts adrynalyne?

VS Code or Sublime Text. 

13 minutes ago, VWW said:

Thanks mate! I'll check them out.

I'm a big fan of sublime text. The big reason I use it over Notepad++ is crossplatform compatibility.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:11 PM, adrynalyne said:

Congrats?

Ooh, someone's had their Sarcasm flakes for breakfast.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, satukoro said:

I'm a big fan of sublime text. The big reason I use it over Notepad++ is crossplatform compatibility. 

Cheers! I'll definitely be looking at it over the next week. I'm doing well with Notepad++ but there's a few niggling things that could be better... cross-platform would be one of those!

nerds might use Notepad++ but the average person doesnt know what it is. i bet the average user doesnt even know that Wordpad exists either.

anyways, didnt MS update Notepad in, like, 8.1 or am i mistaken? (im typing on Win7 now)

5 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

nerds might use Notepad++ but the average person doesnt know what it is. i bet the average user doesnt even know that Wordpad exists either.

anyways, didnt MS update Notepad in, like, 8.1 or am i mistaken? (im typing on Win7 now) 

Yes, I believe they made it UTF16 compatible or similar but that's the only change I'm aware of.

1 hour ago, satukoro said:

Ditto. 

14 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

Nerds? More like anyone who needs a program that doesn’t break line endings and needs an undo buffer that’s longer than one change, will use something besides notepad. I’ve found notepad++ on a lot of computers that were owned by typical (non-nerd even) consumers. 

Notepad is garbage. Also, no, they didn’t update it in 8.1, or if they did, it wasn’t noticeable. 

12 hours ago, VWW said:

googled it and they have a windows binary/installer. looks worth checking out to me as well :)

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

More like anyone who needs a program that doesn’t break line endings and needs an undo buffer that’s longer than one change, will use something besides notepad.

^^ Right, nerds.