• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Can't update old laptop to 1803

bluesman86    359

Hi, I have an MSI VR630 laptop. It upgraded fine from Windows 7 to 10 (1511) when the free upgrade offer was around. It's been sitting in a drawer for almost 3 years, and I decided to pull it out to give it a permanent place in the holiday house. It's old and not very fast by today's standards, but it's good enough to browse the web.

Specs:

screenshot-www_msi.com-2018_07.17-00-39-51.thumb.png.e9507e058badc46e8cbc7050354ca15a.png

When I attempt the update through settings, the screen turns black and stays stuck after the first reboot. When I use the upgrade tool I get the same result. I also created a USB installation flashdrive to try it that way (tried with formatted as GPT and MBR). Same result every time. Computer reboots, and once it's supposed to show the setup wizard, nothing. It won't even let me boot from USB.

What do I do?

PsYcHoKiLLa    2,098

If it's already been upgraded and you signed into it and matched it to an e-mail then you should be fine to just download the latest iso and install from scratch signing into the same account.

• Like 2

+goretsky    884

Hello,

Have you tried updating the MSI VR630 laptop's BIOS/UEFI firmware to the latest version, and then wiping the internal drive so as to do a clean install of Windows 10 to it?  If so, did that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Freddofrog42    1

First post...

Anyway, I've done heaps of older PC upgrades to W10.  I commonly find that with laptops that USB drivers are an issue during the install process and that it's easier/more reliable to use a DVD.

Try that and report back.

• Like 1

Pishaw    514

I've never experienced the USB driver thing. But have you checked if the installation validates? You said it was in a drawer for years. I can't see any other reason for it to not update.

This machine came new with Vista SP1. It's updated flawlessly through 1803. But it has an Intel chip, not an AMD.

I love the keyboard and display. That's why I still have it.

• Like 1

ThaCrip    395
Posted (edited)

I have a HP DV5-1002nr laptop which has a '2.0 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Dual-Core Mobile Processor' and I can clean install Windows 10 to it from bootable USB no problem (I used YUMI... https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/  as I boot into the Windows 10 installer from there) as everything works fine except the right side of the touchpad that scrolls websites does not work but other than that it runs fine. basically it's a driver issue as they don't seem to have one for Windows 10 to get the touchpad working 100% as the touchpad basically works as expected except for the right side of the touchpad that makes it easier to scroll websites does not work at all (although it works fine in Linux Mint v19(which I talk about below)).

I currently have Linux Mint v19 on that laptop (which the right side of the touch pad does scroll websites on that) even though I did register a copy of Windows 10 on it before the free upgrade offer ended about mid-Jan 2018.

but since you mentioned it's just a basic internet machine... you might consider installing Linux Mint v19 to it as it's solid except battery life will be better on Windows 10 but if that part does not both you, Linux is probably a better choice for a basic internet machine and as a bonus it's immune to a lot of the junk (virus etc) that effects Windows.

NOTE: it seems that older laptop is picky on what it will boot from though which may be similar in your situation. it boots fine from a Sandisk 64GB (USB v3.0) thumb drive 'SDCZ48-064G' (my Laptop only has USB v2 ports though) which I got at Wal-Mart for $20 about a couple of years ago which seem to be even cheaper now on Amazon. the laptop is likely 10 years old given a review I seen online even though I only had it since late last year.

Edited by ThaCrip
  • Like 1

bluesman86    359
On 7/17/2018 at 12:53 AM, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

If it's already been upgraded and you signed into it and matched it to an e-mail then you should be fine to just download the latest iso and install from scratch signing into the same account.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:09 AM, goretsky said:

Hello,

Have you tried updating the MSI VR630 laptop's BIOS/UEFI firmware to the latest version, and then wiping the internal drive so as to do a clean install of Windows 10 to it?  If so, did that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 7/17/2018 at 6:52 AM, Freddofrog42 said:

First post...

Anyway, I've done heaps of older PC upgrades to W10.  I commonly find that with laptops that USB drivers are an issue during the install process and that it's easier/more reliable to use a DVD.

Try that and report back.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:22 AM, Pishaw said:

I've never experienced the USB driver thing. But have you checked if the installation validates? You said it was in a drawer for years. I can't see any other reason for it to not update.

This machine came new with Vista SP1. It's updated flawlessly through 1803. But it has an Intel chip, not an AMD.

I love the keyboard and display. That's why I still have it.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:57 AM, ThaCrip said:

I have a HP DV5-1002nr laptop which has a '2.0 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Dual-Core Mobile Processor' and I can clean install Windows 10 to it from bootable USB no problem (I used YUMI... https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/  as I boot into the Windows 10 installer from there) as everything works fine except the right side of the touchpad that scrolls websites does not work but other than that it runs fine. basically it's a driver issue as they don't seem to have one for Windows 10 to get the touchpad working 100% as the touchpad basically works as expected except for the right side of the touchpad that makes it easier to scroll websites does not work at all (although it works fine in Linux Mint v19(which I talk about below)).

I currently have Linux Mint v19 on that laptop (which the right side of the touch pad does scroll websites on that) even though I did register a copy of Windows 10 on it before the free upgrade offer ended about mid-Jan 2018.

but since you mentioned it's just a basic internet machine... you might consider installing Linux Mint v19 to it as it's solid except battery life will be better on Windows 10 but if that part does not both you, Linux is probably a better choice for a basic internet machine and as a bonus it's immune to a lot of the junk (virus etc) that effects Windows.

NOTE: it seems that older laptop is picky on what it will boot from though which may be similar in your situation. it boots fine from a Sandisk 64GB (USB v3.0) thumb drive 'SDCZ48-064G' (my Laptop only has USB v2 ports though) which I got at Wal-Mart for $20 about a couple of years ago which seem to be even cheaper now on Amazon. the laptop is likely 10 years old given a review I seen online even though I only had it since late last year.

Just tried installing it from a DVD. 

Same result. Black screen when it tries to boot into the setup.

I'm stumped. That doesn't happen very often when it comes to Windows.

ThaCrip    395

Did you try using Linux Lint v19? ; because if Windows and that is acting up, it almost seems like something is out of whack with the laptop itself.

but Mint should be a solid option considering you said it's just a basic internet machine.

p.s. also, this might not do anything but did you ever try resetting BIOS settings to their defaults?

Rod37    1

I had the same issue installing Windows 10 1803 on various older ASUS motherboards. Turns out that the BIOS setting for VT-x / VT-d was the issue, 1803 is no longer compatible with that setting. I'm not sure if that's applicable here since this is an AMD laptop. But I would play around with the various BIOS settings until you can get the DVD to boot. If you can do that, the upgrade should work too.

erpster3    19
Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2018 at 3:55 PM, bluesman86 said:

Just tried installing it from a DVD. 

Same result. Black screen when it tries to boot into the setup.

I'm stumped. That doesn't happen very often when it comes to Windows.

you are better off installing Win10 from a USB flash drive rather than a DVD drive as DVD discs are a little less reliable than USB flash drives.

Look on this site on how to create a Win10 USB installation media:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows-10-bootable-usb-flash-drive/

for your MSI VR630 laptop, use Rufus to create it as that laptop uses legacy (non-UEFI) BIOS chips and hard drive most likely uses "MBR" instead of GPT.

also his "specs" did not say whether a 32bit or 64bit Windows operating system was used.  Use Speccy to gather more specs of the VR630 laptop

On 7/20/2018 at 6:29 AM, Rod37 said:

I had the same issue installing Windows 10 1803 on various older ASUS motherboards. Turns out that the BIOS setting for VT-x / VT-d was the issue, 1803 is no longer compatible with that setting. I'm not sure if that's applicable here since this is an AMD laptop. But I would play around with the various BIOS settings until you can get the DVD to boot. If you can do that, the upgrade should work too.

I did not have problems updating to Win10 Pro x64 v1803 on my friend's custom built PC with an ASUS M5A78L-M LE/USB3 motherboard, which uses AMD Socket AM3+ CPUs.  maybe older AMD CPUs might have problems with the 1803 release of Win10.

Edited by erpster3

bluesman86    359
Posted (edited)

Installed Linux Mint, figured out that the graphics chip was failing on the motherboard. In other words, took me three days of ######## around to discover that the laptop was toast. Not Windows 10's fault. Bummer.