HDMI not being used by my monitor

Hello! I am using an HDMI cable for my Samsung monitor, but it isn’t working. I have tried all 5 ports and tried them in different cable positions but when I switch to HDMI it would say “Check signal cable” in the screen. Please, if you know how to fix this, make it urgent!

(P.S I noticed 2/3 ports that would be loose when I plug my cable in)

Information is missing.

What is the source (PC, Apple, Xbox, Cable box, thermostat, etc)?

Have you tried a different cable?

Also, what monitor has 5 ports ... we're talking about Samsung TV ... right?  Model?

18 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Information is missing.

Also, what monitor has 5 ports ... we're talking about Samsung TV ... right?  Model?

It’s a PC, and the PC has 5 different slots for HDMI. The samsung monitor’s model is S22F350FHM

What GPU do you have? AFAIK, there's no card with 5 ports... I'd believe that if you said DP, but not HDMI.

Edit: Unless you are using XFire/SLI?

13 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

What GPU do you have? AFAIK, there's no card with 5 ports... I'd believe that if you said DP, but not HDMI.

Edit: Unless you are using XFire/SLI?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. In the image you can see four HDMI slots above the VGA slot at the bottom (it is above the power cable slot) and the 5th is where I’m currently plugging in my HDMI cable (the red/black one on the left)

1D24773C-7400-40AB-8AFC-83303F6C0FFE.jpeg

15 minutes ago, ComboTombo said:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. In the image you can see four HDMI slots above the VGA slot at the bottom (it is above the power cable slot) and the 5th is where I’m currently plugging in my HDMI cable (the red/black one on the left)

1D24773C-7400-40AB-8AFC-83303F6C0FFE.jpeg

Looks like there's 4 there. (5th must be onboard, you dont want that) Looks like you are using onboard APU, not your GPU. Unhook that VGA/DVI (looks like VGA) cord. BIOS treats onboard device as first. If there is no device, then it goes to your GFX card.

37 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Looks like there's 4 there. (5th must be onboard, you dont want that) Looks like you are using onboard APU, not your GPU. Unhook that VGA/DVI (looks like VGA) cord. BIOS treats onboard device as first. If there is no device, then it goes to your GFX card.

That did it, thanks! And while you’re at it, can you please teach me how to enable animations in windows 7 like when I minimize/maximize windows? And how to get a transparent taskbar? Thanks!

1 minute ago, ComboTombo said:

That did it, thanks! And while you’re at it, can you please teach me how to enable animations in windows 7 like when I minimize/maximize windows? And how to get a transparent taskbar? Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't run Windows since ~2010... Might want to ask that in Windows section.

12 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Sorry, I didn't run Windows since ~2010... Might want to ask that in Windows section.

Roger, thanks sir! Oh and also, when I start my windows, it’s always on 800x600 resolution, how do I fix that?

Did you install drivers for it? Should be in the NVIDIA control center.

Yeah, we kind of need to know if you installed the drivers for your video card and the rest. You could either have a disk with drivers on you or (if you ditched the CD drive like most of us) you can go to the NVidia website and find the drivers for your card or you can use the GeForce Experience tool which looks up the drivers for you automatically. Experience is kind of easier to use, but it sometimes installs drivers that you don't need and it's promised game optimization is not always on point. 

As for the Windows effects, they're probably off by default because you don't have drivers (at least that what use to happen to me when I used Windows 7). But if your drivers are in order and it's still not working try checking out this guide: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2066988/enable-window-transparency-aero-windows.html

Hope this helps!

most of these win areo features are gone in windows 10

On 7/19/2018 at 6:27 AM, Jim K said:

Information is missing.

my monitor has 4 ports, vga dvi hdmi and displayport

4 hours ago, DKAngel said:

most of these win areo features are gone in windows 10

my monitor has 4 ports, vga dvi hdmi and displayport

He said 5 ports on his video card. Not his monitor. Also he said 5 HDMI.

36 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Just FYI the 1060 doesn't have 5 HDMI ports it has 1 HDMI and 3 display ports.

I think he means 4 HDMI/DP ports on his GFX card, and one onboard. So he counted that as 5. Why he thinks DP is HDMI, no idea...

On 7/20/2018 at 9:44 PM, Mindovermaster said:

He said 5 ports on his video card. Not his monitor. Also he said 5 HDMI.

actually the person i quoted asked what monitor has 5 ports if you actually read the quote properly...but hey ?

24 minutes ago, DKAngel said:

actually the person i quoted asked what monitor has 5 ports if you actually read the quote properly...but hey ?

The original question wasn't very clear...nor did it mention ports other than HDMI (note:  "HDMI cable" and "all 5 ports").  Ergo, I was thinking maybe the monitor was actually a TV with 5 HDMI ports and OP wasn't able to get the source to work on any of them.

I'm well aware that monitors come with various input connectors.

Anyway, it appears that the issue was resolved after further clarification.  ?

23 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Anyway, it appears that the issue was resolved after further clarification.  ?

Well, except, to our knowledge, he never installed drivers.

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, except, to our knowledge, he never installed drivers.

Oh yeah, OP hasn't responded back after posting about the 800x600 resolution issue. :)

• Like 1