• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

User profile service help!!

KK24LY    2

This morning I turned on my computer and tried to log in as usual, but I got hit with The user profile service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. I didnt install or update anything on my computer yesterday, and it was working perfectly fine. I cannot run safe mode because I cannot get into the recovery screen, Ive tried tapping and holding F2, F6, F8, F10, F12, basically everything but it doesnt work. I hard-shutdown my pc during bootup and when i turnd it on it did get me to the windows error recovery screen, but my arrow keys didnt work, so im assuming my keyboard doesnt work during bootup. Im using a HP Pavilion windows 7 ultimate pc, what should I do?

Nick H.    9,701

I'm assuming you only have the one account on the machine? If so I don't think there is much you can do other than trying to restart until it boots in, then back up all the data.

Or try live booting Linux and copy the data that way.

I started seeing the issue back in January, but we were able to log in with our admin accounts to grab the data for the profile. :/

• Thanks 1

KK24LY    2
5 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I'm assuming you only have the one account on the machine? If so I don't think there is much you can do other than trying to restart until it boots in, then back up all the data.

Or try live booting Linux and copy the data that way.

I started seeing the issue back in January, but we were able to log in with our admin accounts to grab the data for the profile. :/

Thanks for the reply, but I managed to fix it. 

+warwagon    12,939
25 minutes ago, KK24LY said:

Thanks for the reply, but I managed to fix it. 

Did that system by chance have AVG on it? I always seem to see that issues with systems that had AVG installed. I'm assuming you did the registry edit fix were you had to rename the registry key to old?

Nick H.    9,701
1 hour ago, warwagon said:

Did that system by chance have AVG on it? I always seem to see that issues with systems that had AVG installed. I'm assuming you did the registry edit fix were you had to rename the registry key to old?

I bet McAfee.

Som    423

I always found avg caused this, which reg key do you rename?

KK24LY    2

11 minutes ago, Som said:

I always found avg caused this, which reg key do you rename?

Yeah I'm using AVG and yes I did the registry edit fix outlined in this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

• Like 2

+warwagon    12,939
54 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I bet McAfee.

13 minutes ago, KK24LY said:

Yeah I'm using AVG and yes I did the registry edit fix outlined in this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

BAM!!! It was AVG :D

Nick H.    9,701
46 minutes ago, warwagon said:

BAM!!! It was AVG :D

I'm not sure how much "BAM" should be involved given that a) it wasn't  McAfee, yet b) it may be the anti virus that is the issue.

But hey, have fun. :laugh:

helpifIcan    45

I've used AVG for EVER never had any issues, it's been on at least 8 different builds. Go figure!