Computer will only run when CPU is unplugged from PSU

So I just finished building my very first PC and upon trying to power it on it shut off within about 1-2 seconds. While trying to troubleshoot I discovered that by unplugging my CPU's power cable from my PSU I could actually get the computer to function normally. So now that I have narrowed down the problem (At least I think I have) I have no idea on what I should do to fix this. Any suggestions on what to do now or how to fix this?

MB:ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming motherboard

PSU:EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 G2 Gold Power Supply

GPU: STRIX GAMING GeForce GTX 1070ti 

CPU:i7-6700K

CPU Cooling system:NZXT Kraken X42 liquid cooler

Case:Phanteks Eclipse P400

I can provide more info/pictures if needed.

6 minutes ago, TheCanadian said:

So I just finished building my very first PC and upon trying to power it on it shut off within about 1-2 seconds. While trying to troubleshoot I discovered that by unplugging my CPU's power cable from my PSU I could actually get the computer to function normally. So now that I have narrowed down the problem (At least I think I have) I have no idea on what I should do to fix this. Any suggestions on what to do now or how to fix this?

MB:ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming motherboard

PSU:EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 G2 Gold Power Supply

GPU: STRIX GAMING GeForce GTX 1070ti 

CPU:I-6700

CPU Cooling system:NZXT Kraken X42 liquid cooler

Case:Phanteks Eclipse P400

I can provide more info/pictures if needed.

Please tell me you mis-typed the CPU?

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

1 hour ago, TheCanadian said:

Do you mean the CPU fan?

It wasn't a typo I am just retarded. On the bright side the i7-6700k was a spare part from a friends old PC.

Go easy on me will ya it was my first time building a PC. Guess that'll teach me to research my parts before I buy them. 

P.S: thanks for the help Matthew?

Might want to reset your BIOS and/or update to latest version.

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Mind, the CPU isn't compatible with his board, he's using a v1 1151 CPU in a 1151 2017/2018 board...

11 hours ago, TheCanadian said:

It wasn't a typo I am just retarded. On the bright side the i7-6700k was a spare part from a friends old PC.

Go easy on me will ya it was my first time building a PC. Guess that'll teach me to research my parts before I buy them. 

P.S: thanks for the help Matthew?

Technically, it is the CPU that is retarded in this case if we use the proper definition of the word "retarded" (delayed in time) although the slang definition of the word might apply to Intel and their dirty tricks department which tried to create a new socket type without creating a new socket!

Intel thought things were too easy, and decided to create a whole container load of confusion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake

As Intel's previous changes in product generations coincided with new microarchitectures, it was unclear[8] but generally expected that the eighth Core generation products would be based on the new Coffee Lake microarchitecture.[9] However, when it was officially announced on August 21, 2017, Intel stated that the eighth generation would be based on multiple microarchitectures, including Kaby Lake,[10] Coffee Lake, and Cannonlake.

Additional core resources in mid-range eighth-generation Coffee Lake desktop chips offer significant gains in performance versus previous seventh-generation Intel CPUs in multi-threaded workloads. However, the architecture delivers no IPC difference over Skylake or Kaby Lake. Desktop Coffee Lake CPUs introduce a major change in Intel's Core CPUs nomenclature, in that i5 and i7 CPUs feature six cores (along with hyper-threading in the case of the latter). Core i3 CPUs, having four cores and dropping hyper-threading for the first time, received a change as well. On April 2, 2018 Intel released additional desktop Core i3, i5, i7, Pentium Gold, Celeron CPUs and for the first time in its history six core Core i7 and i9 mobile CPUs as well as hyper-threaded four core Core i5 mobile CPUs, and the first Coffee Lake ultra-power CPUs with Intel Iris Plus graphics.

The 300 series chipsets, while using physically identical LGA 1151 socket to the 100 and 200 series chipsets, are officially only compatible with Coffee Lake CPUs, meaning that older motherboards do not officially support Coffee Lake processors[4][3], and 300 series motherboards do not officially support Skylake or Kaby Lake processors.

Although desktop Coffee Lake processors use the same physical LGA 1151 socket as Skylake and Kaby Lake, the pinout is electrically incompatible with these older processors and motherboards.[3] However, in recent times, motherboard BIOSes have been modified by enthusiasts to unofficially support Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs in 300-series motherboards, and vice versa, shedding light on the initial controversy that Intel intentionally blocked motherboard manufacturers from providing backwards compatibility between Skylake and Kaby Lake processors and 300-series motherboards, and vice versa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151

The LGA 1151 socket was revised for the Coffee Lake generation CPUs and comes along with the Intel 300-series chipsets.[8] While physical dimensions remain unchanged, the updated socket re-assigns some reserved pins, adding power and ground lines to support the requirements of 6-core CPUs. The new socket also relocates the processor detection pin, breaking compatibility with earlier processors and motherboards. As a result, desktop Coffee Lake CPUs are officially not compatible with the 100 (original Skylake) and 200 (Kaby Lake) series chipsets.[9] Similarly, 300 series chipsets only support Coffee Lake and are not compatible with Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs.

It might be possible the 6700K is unharmed and it certainly deserves to live a happy life somewhere since it is an excellent CPU.

Your current options are to look for a modded BIOS or else to buy a 8xxx CPU.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

He would actually need a modded BIOS to deal with Intel's new adventure in stupidity.

There are all sorts of ways they could have maintained backwards compatibility.

ASUS could also have put a big sticker on their motherboard box: "WARNING: COFFEELAKE ONLY" Includes Intel Smart Sound and Intel Stupid Socket (tm)  technology, also Intel NotReadyBoost (tm) and Intel StupidBoost (tm) options

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 3:11 PM, DevTech said:

He would actually need a modded BIOS to deal with Intel's new adventure in stupidity.

There are all sorts of ways they could have maintained backwards compatibility.

ASUS could also have put a big sticker on their motherboard box: "WARNING: COFFEELAKE ONLY" Includes Intel Smart Sound and Intel Stupid Socket (tm)  technology, also Intel NotReadyBoost (tm) and Intel StupidBoost (tm) options

Intel is pretty much using a new socket for every new cpus they release even the tick ones. I remember my Core i5 750 system not being upgradable at all (outside of putting a i7 from the exact same release which was simply not worth it). That's honestly stupid and i think one day it will drive people away if AMD can remain competitive.

Epic title BTW.

Edited by LaP