[Update] Florida man who claimed self-defense after shooting man over parking spot sentenced

several issues with this

1. The person didn't have to take a lethal shot to the chest. It was only 1 shot according to the article; they could have easily shot an arm or leg from how close they were

a. In turn this should have been called at the very least unintentional manslaughter which is still a felony

2. In no way does it sound like the situation escalated enough that it even warranted pulling out a gun in the first place

having a conceal permit does not mean you can just shoot people willy nilly. and to get that permit you have to have a least some basic training so there's no way they wouldn't have been able to aim a non-lethal shot; a chest shot is purposeful most of the time.

ps not a gun owner myself so these are just observations on what i am aware

10 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

several issues with this

1. The person didn't have to take a lethal shot to the chest. It was only 1 shot according to the article; they could have easily shot an arm or leg from how close they were

a. In turn this should have been called at the very least unintentional manslaughter which is still a felony

2. In no way does it sound like the situation escalated enough that it even warranted pulling out a gun in the first place

having a conceal permit does not mean you can just shoot people willy nilly. and to get that permit you have to have a least some basic training so there's no way they wouldn't have been able to aim a non-lethal shot; a chest shot is purposeful most of the time.

ps not a gun owner myself so these are just observations on what i am aware

#1 would never work as it would be very difficult to hit their arm and not misss and thus risk an innocent bystander say across the street. What you see in shows and movies is not realistic.

#2 hard to tell, we were not there. Also, what is threatening to a civilian may not be to a navy seal.

In regards to conceal permit, it doesn't. No-one trains to shoot an arm or leg, see #1 above.

Lastly, you can kill by shooting someone in an arm of leg. You can sever an artery and they bleed out before any medical help gets there.

8 minutes ago, ncoday said:

#1 would never work as it would be very difficult to hit their arm and not misss and thus risk an innocent bystander say across the street. What you see in shows and movies is not realistic.

#2 hard to tell, we were not there. Also, what is threatening to a civilian may not be to a navy seal.

In regards to conceal permit, it doesn't. No-one trains to shoot an arm or leg, see #1 above.

Lastly, you can kill by shooting someone in an arm of leg. You can sever an artery and they bleed out before any medical help gets there.

ok but almost ANYWHERE besides square in the chest is going to have less chance of being lethal. if you're allowed conceal carry without any kind of proper (even minor) shooting training then that needs some serious looking at

i'm seeing this very black and white in my head.

person 1 shoves person 2 to the ground.

person 2 then pulls out a gun and shoots person 1.

how is pulling out a gun and shooting someone a proper reaction to being pushed over in ANY situation? I personally can't fathom it.

6 hours ago, Brandon H said:

ok but almost ANYWHERE besides square in the chest is going to have less chance of being lethal.

Incorrect. I've seen people bleed out from arm and leg wounds, even from  car wrecks or tool accidents.  Also, some gunshot wounds will pretty much  remove an extremity.

Statistically, shooting for a limb is a low percentage shot, 10% or less, which means that bullet can keep flying for hundreds of meters and strike an innocent.  This is why training classes teach to shoot at the "center of mass"; head, chest, abdomen or pelvis, with the heart being the bulls-eye.  It both disables the attacker and is more likely to prevent a free-flying bullet.

Warning shot? Illegal almost everywhere, because you again have that free-flying bullet.

if you're allowed conceal carry without any kind of proper (even minor) shooting training then that needs some serious looking at

>

Concealed or open (unconcealed) carry and permit laws are a state jurisdiction, so they are a mish-mash.

Some states allow carrying only with a permit and training, others without a permit or training, either concealed or exposed ("open carry.") Other states are a mix.

Florida requires a permit and training to carry concealed, but IMO what qualifies as training there is too loose a standard.

Example, in Florida a basic hunters safety course suffices, which is clearly not enough.

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License/Applying-for-a-Concealed-Weapon-License/Acceptable-Firearms-Training-Documentation

A proper training program includes classroom time to cover the legalities, observed and graded range time, and coverage of basic tactics. Enhanced tactical classes are also offered, and everyone I know takes a refresher course before their permits come up for renewal.

Edited by DocM

On 7/23/2018 at 5:50 AM, adrynalyne said:

He has got to be 150 years old with all these incredible tales that’s more than a lifetime worth. 

Also yeah, must suck where he lives and a sane person would ask themselves why they would continue to stay in a place like that. 

Well, he does live in the Detroit area... Say no more! :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, he does live in the Detroit area... Say no more! :p

The location was a mix of good and bad, especially since the 1967 riots  forward. We (also speaking of my peers) were also rural raised, with more responsibility at a young age, way before computers and the electronic diversions people have today.

For diversion we did things, loads and loads of activities, in many places. Many items checked off the bucket list. Other times, bad crap happened and we dealt with it (see location.)

TBH, I think we had more fun than most people today. Less virtual, more reality.

16 hours ago, Brandon H said:

ok but almost ANYWHERE besides square in the chest is going to have less chance of being lethal. if you're allowed conceal carry without any kind of proper (even minor) shooting training then that needs some serious looking at

i'm seeing this very black and white in my head.

person 1 shoves person 2 to the ground.

person 2 then pulls out a gun and shoots person 1.

how is pulling out a gun and shooting someone a proper reaction to being pushed over in ANY situation? I personally can't fathom it.

Besides the legs and arms is either the chest, lower abdomen or head. The lower abdomen and head are both also usually lethal; the head is usually instantly lethal and lower abdomen is usually a slow and painful death without immediate medical attention. The human body in general does not react "well" to being shot. Contrary to what you see on TV and in the movies, there really is no place you can shoot someone and it not have the potential to be lethal. One of the reasons is something called cavitation. It refers to the wound tract temporarily being much larger than the size of the bullet. This is what typically causes so much damage. Think of it like the wake a boat generates, much larger than the actual size of the boat. Another reason is loss of blood. You can shoot someone and they end up dieing not directly due to the bullet wound, but because they lose so much blood.

I agree with you in this specific case, I believe this was a "bad shoot" and the guy deserves to be punished. How much, I don't know, am not a lawyer.

Edited by ncoday

7 hours ago, ncoday said:

>

One of the reasons is something called cavitation. It refers to the wound tract temporarily being much larger than the size of the bullet. This is what typically causes so much damage. Think of it like the wake a boat generates, much larger than the actual size of the boat. Another reason is loss of blood. You can shoot someone and they end up dieing not directly due to the bullet wound, but because they lose so much blood.

>

That cavitation causes high pressure shockwaves which can cause, 

1) remote tissue damage from the local shockwave; hit them on the left side and the liver may be damaged on the right. Also local nerve damage, something which field surgeons noted during Vietnam.

2) a powerful peak pressure wave travelling through the circulatory system, like plumbing pipes banging. This pressure wave has been shown to cause bleeding in brain tissue due to burst capillaries, an effect very similar to the traumatic brain injuries suffered after IED explosions.

Light reading (PDF),

https://arxiv.org/pdf/0803.3051&ved=2ahUKEwjlxrDYybjcAhVSI6wKHWhDDbsQFjAPegQIARAB

Edited by DocM

• 3 weeks later...

Shooter in fatal Florida 'Stand Your Ground' case arrested for manslaughter

A Florida man was arrested on a prosecutor's warrant Monday in connection with a fatal shooting last month that a sheriff said was justified under the state’s "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law.

Michael Drejka, 47, was charged with manslaughter in the July 19 death of 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton during a dispute over a handicapped parking spot at a convenience store in Clearwater.

The shooting, which was caught on video, reignited debate around the "Stand Your Ground" law and led to demonstrations by protesters who criticized Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gulatieri for not arresting Drejka, a white man who shot and killed an unarmed black man.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/13/shooter-in-fatal-florida-stand-your-ground-case-arrested-for-manslaughter.html

Good, glad the guy is getting charged.  He was in no way a threat and he escalated the issue by getting on the woman's case.  The BF was just protecting/defending his girl and gets shot for pushing a guy out of the way.  In no way  should that guy have felt threatened.  Just a guy with an itchy trigger finger.

Edited by techbeck

SYG doesn't mean open fire for no damned reason. It's if you, a loved one or a third party is under active attack, or in many states is being sexually assaulted.

The Fleeing Felon Rule is another matter - the slime is trying to escape a citizens felony arrest, and there are different rules. 

In this case;

first, don't just walk up to a woman and act like an asshat. It's very likely to trigger *someone* and go south.

if you're on the ground and the attacker is still pressing the attack, fine - you're at serious risk. Bang. If he's walking away, back away but be ready in case he changes his mind.

Edited by DocM

12 hours ago, DocM said:

SYG doesn't mean open fire for no damned reason. It's if you, a loved one or a third party is under active attack, or in many states is being sexually assaulted.

The Fleeing Felon Rule is another matter - the slime is trying to escape a citizens felony arrest, and there are different rules. 

In this case;

first, don't just walk up to a woman and act like an asshat. It's very likely to trigger *someone* and go south.

if you're on the ground and the attacker is still pressing the attack, fine - you're at serious risk. Bang. If he's walking away, back away but be ready in case he changes his mind.

Yea, guy that was killed was only standing up for his girl.  All he did was push the guy to the ground and did nothing from what I saw after that warranted him being shot or that would make the jackass who shot him fear for his life.   Just a trigger happy irresponsible gun owner.  Hopefully he gets his gun ownership rights taken away as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DocM said:

A felony conviction does that.

True...but the way some people seem to get away with things, we shall see.  Last I checked tho, he was still in jail. 

• 1 year later...

A Florida man who claimed he fatally shot an unarmed man in self-defense after the two squabbled over a handicapped parking space was sentenced Thursday to 20 years in prison.

Michael Drejka, 49, was found guilty of manslaughter in August in the death of Markeis McGlockton, a 28-year-old man, in the parking lot of a Clearwater convenience store in July 2018.

Described by Circuit Court Judge Joseph Bulone as a "wanna-be" police officer and a self-appointed "handicapped parking space monitor," Drejka confronted McGlockton's girlfriend, questioning why she parked in a handicap-reserved parking space without a permit.

During the initial encounter, McGlocktown was inside the store with his 5-year-old son. When he left the store, he shoved Drejka to the ground, surveillance video showed.

Drejka then pulled out a Glock .40-caliber handgun and shot McGlockton in the chest. He later told investigators he was in fear of a physical threat to his safety.

McGlocktown died at a hospital 30 minutes later.

The shooting brought national attention to Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law, which, since enacted in 2005, established the right for gun owners to apply lethal force to defend themselves against threats regardless of whether it was possible to retreat first.

More....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-man-sentenced-parking-spot-self-defense

24 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Why is it that weird ###### always happens in Florida?

I dunno....I've seen some pretty strange stuff in Chicago, Detroit, NYC, Portland and LA. Pegged the WTF?-o-Meter.

I’m all for stand your ground laws, but this is a perfect example of it being abused and an appropriate punishment to those who abuse the law.

• Like 2

• Brandon H changed the title to [Update] Florida man who claimed self-defense after shooting man over parking spot sentenced

merged in @techbeck :) necroing isn't a big issue anymore; we figure as long as the post is relevant and contributes to the topic at hand then it's OK

glad the guy finally got sentenced; being pushed to the ground is hardly justifiable reason to pull a gun and shoot someone

34 minutes ago, Sean B. said:

I’m all for stand your ground laws, but this is a perfect example of it being abused and an appropriate punishment to those who abuse the law.

Yea, I saw the video last year and no way was the guy a threat.  He was backing up and the shooter was the aggressor.  Glad he got charged/sentenced.

12 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

merged in @techbeck :) necroing isn't a big issue anymore; we figure as long as the post is relevant and contributes to the topic at hand then it's OK

Ok, cool.  THanks