• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Do I need a SATA cable

hoyyannet    0

I am sure this is a stupid question, but I am going to have my computer upgraded and part of that is installing a SSD drive. My question is will the cable that come with the computer work or do I need a new cable

Broughton    94

Any existing SATA cable(s) you have will work fine, however some are speed rated/certified. I'm not entirely sure if it really makes a difference but ideally you'd want a cable certified for 6gbps for an SSD assuming your board has 6gbps SATA ports.

Edited by Broughton

ITOps    40

This depends on if you are just buying the drive (normally labeled bare drive).  The packages and description should list the cables included.  If you do not have spare cables in your box and you are planning on keeping the drive in your machine and adding the SSD to the mix then you will need to purchase an additional SATA cable.  Just insure that you have enough free SATA ports on your motherboard, or you can purchase a RAID card to increase the amount of SATA ports available.

goretsky    1,002

Hello,

It depends on the type of SSD being installed.  New computers manufactured within the last couple of years increasingly have a "M.2" slot on them, which a SSD can be installed into, much like installing a stick of RAM into a slot.  The connectors on the slot provide data and power to the SSD so no additional cabling is required.

On the other hand, if you are installing a 2.5" SATA SSD, then it will need both power and data cables connected to it.  The good news, though, is that you can use any existing ones that you might have, provided, as @Broughton noted, they are rated to work with the latest standards.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

ThaCrip    536

a SATA cable is pretty much a SATA cable.

you don't need anything fancy as they are all solid enough even for SATA III speeds.