Turning a $25 Wyze Camera into a security camera with the custom firmware Openip.cam

I recently saw this video on Lon.TV on how you can use a Wyze Cam and turn it into a security camera.

The Custom Firmware

http://www.openip.cam

So I bought one. It's so bloody simple to install the firmware. I added mine to a Smart Plug Wifi Mini so it's off except when I'm out of the house. I can just tell my phone "Turn on the security camera" and it turns it on in my home. I access it via PiVPN which I have running on my server so it's not accessible from the internet unless connected to the VPN. It's pretty nifty.

42843042075_4b1d0f41cc_b.jpg

43699315912_0388a23386_b.jpg

It's not an outdoor Camera, I use mine doors, I just wanted to give you guys an idea of the Quality so I pointed it outside. I hooked the camera up to a portable battery pack to take the photo.

41939222510_4db6c265c1_b.jpg

For example, If you have an iPad you could connect to your OpenVPN and look at your camera feed.  It spits out a generic RTSP feed. On the iPad i'm using RTSP Player. On Android Phone, i'm using Onvifer

41939271770_8b58fdf367_c.jpg

The Camera does have night vision but the custom firmware does not yet support automatically turning it on.

i tried twice and both times i got to the yellow light just flashing and the lady talking in chinese.  i have the v1 and used echer to write the firmware to the sd and then copy over the other files with the user/pw accordingly.  maybe im missing something?  I did see the camera at one point broadcast an AP

When you first powered the camera on with the Micro SD card in did you hold the button down till it turned blue?

Update - Damn this is still listed on the front page after 1 hour.. damn. ...slow day.

• 10 months later...
On 7/1/2019 at 2:10 AM, crazysean32 said:

Where are people going to get the file now that the openip.cam website is down ???

So to follow up. That firmware sucked. I restored it to stock, loving the camera.

4 hours ago, warwagon said:

So to follow up. That firmware sucked. I restored it to stock, loving the camera.

The only issue I have is with the stock firmware I can not connect this cam to a NVR that only wants a ip address and username and password seems to not like it unless you go through the wyze software 

5 hours ago, warwagon said:

i got 3, 2 are outside.  one been outside for 6 months, no issues

Just now, nekrosoft13 said:

i got 3, 2 are outside.  one been outside for 6 months, no issues

I just had issues with night vision not working half the time.