• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Turning a $25 Wyze Camera into a security camera with the custom firmware Openip.cam

+warwagon    13,025

I recently saw this video on Lon.TV on how you can use a Wyze Cam and turn it into a security camera.

The Custom Firmware

http://www.openip.cam

So I bought one. It's so bloody simple to install the firmware. I added mine to a Smart Plug Wifi Mini so it's off except when I'm out of the house. I can just tell my phone "Turn on the security camera" and it turns it on in my home. I access it via PiVPN which I have running on my server so it's not accessible from the internet unless connected to the VPN. It's pretty nifty.

42843042075_4b1d0f41cc_b.jpg

43699315912_0388a23386_b.jpg

It's not an outdoor Camera, I use mine doors, I just wanted to give you guys an idea of the Quality so I pointed it outside. I hooked the camera up to a portable battery pack to take the photo.

41939222510_4db6c265c1_b.jpg

For example, If you have an iPad you could connect to your OpenVPN and look at your camera feed.  It spits out a generic RTSP feed. On the iPad i'm using RTSP Player. On Android Phone, i'm using Onvifer

41939271770_8b58fdf367_c.jpg

The Camera does have night vision but the custom firmware does not yet support automatically turning it on.

fishie    1

i tried twice and both times i got to the yellow light just flashing and the lady talking in chinese.  i have the v1 and used echer to write the firmware to the sd and then copy over the other files with the user/pw accordingly.  maybe im missing something?  I did see the camera at one point broadcast an AP

+warwagon    13,025

When you first powered the camera on with the Micro SD card in did you hold the button down till it turned blue?

Update - Damn this is still listed on the front page after 1 hour.. damn. ...slow day.

crazysean32    0

Where are people going to get the file now that the openip.cam website is down ???

+warwagon    13,025
On 7/1/2019 at 2:10 AM, crazysean32 said:

Where are people going to get the file now that the openip.cam website is down ???

So to follow up. That firmware sucked. I restored it to stock, loving the camera.

crazysean32    0
4 hours ago, warwagon said:

So to follow up. That firmware sucked. I restored it to stock, loving the camera.

The only issue I have is with the stock firmware I can not connect this cam to a NVR that only wants a ip address and username and password seems to not like it unless you go through the wyze software 

nekrosoft13    718
5 hours ago, warwagon said:

i got 3, 2 are outside.  one been outside for 6 months, no issues

+warwagon    13,025
Just now, nekrosoft13 said:

i got 3, 2 are outside.  one been outside for 6 months, no issues

I just had issues with night vision not working half the time.

crazysean32    0

has anyone hooked up these cameras to a nvr?