Tesla Vehicle/Gigafactory/Solarcity/Solar Roof News and Updates Megathread

It's a statement of the type of society we have.

Statistically for societal intelligence.....you know where I'm going...

In the end...his worth to society will be appreciated...decades after his death...just the reality we are in.

For those in the loop...it's a treat of a lifetime...I am really enjoying it.

Not good news for Whistleblowerville,

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/11/tesla-seeks-167-million-in-damages-from-ex-employee-martin-tripp.html

Tesla is seeking more than $167 million in a lawsuit against former employee Martin Tripp, recent legal filings revealed.

In the lawsuit, which was filed by the electric car maker in June, Tesla alleges that Tripp, a former process engineer, had illegally exported data and made false claims to reporters, among other things.

Tripp had earlier claimed in a number of press interviews that Tesla engaged in poor manufacturing practices at its massive battery plant outside of Reno, Nevada, and that it may have used damaged battery modules in its Model 3 vehicles, posing a risk to drivers.

>

>

The suit in Nevada is separate from a whistleblower complaint involving Tripp. In early July, Tripp filed a formal complaint with the Securities and Exchange Commission alleging that Tesla made "material omissions and misstatements" to investors relating to its flawed manufacturing practices and handling of scrap at the Gigafactory.

Tripp was represented by Meissner Associates in the whistleblower matter earlier, but is now representing himself, attorney Stuart Meissner told CNBC. Meissner declined to comment further. Tripp also declined requests for comment.

Edited by DocM

On 12/9/2018 at 4:36 AM, Unobscured Vision said:

... :yes: ...

Who could hate this guy? Well, except for the short-sellers and shills who think he's a lunatic.

He's my kind of lunatic. :punk:

Hate? Far from it, but he's also far from a perfect individual. That whole thing over those missing kids in the caves and calling the lead dive team guy a pedophile was WAAAAAY out of order...

• Like 3

Usually I will stay out of this...but...

Elon was wrong to tag someone...but at the same time...this was not the lead dive team member. This person did the initial mapping of the cave and was not present during the rescue. That persons remarks to Elon were goading and we know were it went.

Overall...the capsule was verified as being able to make it through the passages. The excellent job by the pumps, which failed shortly after the last bunch was out, was what kept it as a handy backup. The Thai Navy now has the units for search and rescue.

This was a chapter which portrayed Elon the worse for wear when both individuals needed a "time out".

That is all I will say on the "sad" situation.

Wow....

California's PG&E utility will be using the new container-size Tesla MegaPack storage system. 2,673 kWh each.

Electrek...

Teslas new Megapack to debut at giant energy storage project in California

Electrek has learned some exclusive information about Teslas Megapack, the companys upcoming new stationary energy storage product.

The big new battery system is going to debut at Teslas giant 1.2 GWh energy storage project with PG&E in California.
>
According to the document, a Tesla Megapack consists of long 23′-5″ (7.14m) x 5′-3″ (1.60m) battery system, which the company mostly installs back to back with another unit:
>
According to Teslas plan, they will deploy 449 Megapacks at the site:
>
Tesla is listing the project as having a total capacity of 1,200 MWh, which would mean that each Megapack has a capacity of 2,673 kWh.

Thats more than 12 times the capacity of Powerpack 2 in a package that could potentially fit about 8 Powerpacks.
>
PG&E says that they aim to bring the energy project online by the end of 2020.
>

• Like 1

These need to be everywhere, imo. It's a fantastic innovation that's already proven its' reliability and worth in Australia. :yes:(Y) 

What are the environmental effects of making these batteries and disposing of them when they get old?  I've read some stuff online, but you can never be sure that what you read is correct or not.

8 hours ago, bguy_1986 said:

What are the environmental effects of making these batteries and disposing of them when they get old?  I've read some stuff online, but you can never be sure that what you read is correct or not.

Tesla recycles about everything but the lithium to raw materials or reuse (battery pack cases etc), and they're working on the lithium. Its waste currently goes into concrete etc.

Recycling has been done using outside companies, but AIUI they'll close the cycle by doing it all in-house.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Beittil said:

I guess assembly line work will be assembly line work, but it would still be a culture shock for such seasoned auto workers if they were to end up in a Tesla factory :D

Starting with the number of assembly stations. According to the UK analyst Evercore ISI Model 3 only has 43 stations, which is about 3-4 times fewer than a "normal" line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

$35,000 Teslas ... 

The U.S. automakers can't compete with that. They'll need to either streamline/improve manufacturing processes to get costs down or they're gonna close up plants. I can't support people losing their jobs.

And we already know which one the muckety mucks will go with.

And now the news that Tesla will close most physical stores and primarily sell them online. /sigh ...

I really, really wanted Tesla Dealerships in Michigan. :( Dammit.

On 8/7/2018 at 5:36 PM, Unobscured Vision said:

Yup. Elon's cash position is astounding right now. At any given time he could buy Bigelow Aerospace and ULA outright -- including patents and IP -- and he'd still be totally fine cash-wise. He could buy his way onto the Board of Directors for Lockheed-Martin and Boeing at any time he wished simply because he CAN. Hostile takeover, baby.

Know why he doesn'tBecause he chooses NOT to. Elon's not "that guy". He does what he does how he does it because he's smart. Impossibly smart. He's got ideas, damn good ones, and he wants to make good on those ideas for the benefit of everyone else and to satisfy his own intellectual curiosity.

So yeah. Elon's got the talent and the tools and the money to make it happen. And better yet he will absolutely troll the naysayers and the short-sellers that are messing with his stuff. That's why he's gonna do this.

And those of us in the so-called "Cult of Elon" will cheer him on in his endeavours, helping any way we can.

True - Tony Stark he isn't.  (*Howard* Stark he isn't - Howard Stark WOULD do it - who was the CEO that drove the merger between Lockheed and Martin Marietta - the company that is the model for Stark Industries in the MCU?)  He's not Nick Fury, either - Fury was the one that drove the original SI going private in the Marvel COMICS Universe.

23 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

$35,000 Teslas ... 

The U.S. automakers can't compete with that. They'll need to either streamline/improve manufacturing processes to get costs down or they're gonna close up plants. I can't support people losing their jobs.

And we already know which one the muckety mucks will go with.

The mother of all invention is necessity. It's a "must change now" thing for the big 3 and other imports. I really hope they come out with some real competition now. I am looking forward to Toyota's reply to the new electric market. 

On 12/21/2018 at 2:58 PM, DocM said:

Ohio Governor John Kasich would like Tesla to take over GM's closing Lordstown Assembly  plant.

If Tesla ever does SUVs, GM Baltimore is also a possibility - though it would certainly sting (for GM, that is) to see Musk swallow the original home of #TeamSuburban (GM Baltimore is also scheduled to shutter, along with Lordstown).

Like Lordstown, GM Baltimore was developed to produce specific vehicles (in Baltimore's case, the Chevrolet/GMC Suburban).  Suburbans have been a fixture in Presidential motorcades since the vehicle first came off the production line - and not merely in USSS trim - the USAF (and specifically the 89th AIrlift Wing and its two most famous subsidiaries, 1st Helicopter and 2nd Airlift - which transports the Vice-President) - have THEIR lot of Suburbans as well;  I'm wondering if GM Baltimore will actually be ALLOWED to shutter for that reason alone.  (I still would not mind purchasing one of the ex-USSS or USAF Suburbans; either would be a major example of a well-kept *cream puff* Suburban.  As to why I said *cream puff*, crack maintainers (in both cases, the best mechanics the USAF or DHS has to offer; they COMPETE to end up there) and low mileage for their usage.  Therefore *cream puff*.  That means a trip to Baltimore, though (regional GSA Sales offices - NOT DC itself, oddly enough).