Mollie Tibbetts's disappearance has small Iowa town on edge

really don't understand why the fact that he's an 'illegal immigrant' is being emphasized by the news and everyone. It really has NOTHING to do with this story or his actions; it could have been anyone to commit the crime, race and citizenship has NOTHING to do with the situation...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

really don't understand why the fact that he's an 'illegal immigrant' is being emphasized by the news and everyone. It really has NOTHING to do with this story or his actions; it could have been anyone to commit the crime, race and citizenship has NOTHING to do with the situation...

... except that this particular crime would not have happened if this guy hadn't been here illegally. Human scum can come from anywhere and be anywhere, but this particular piece of scum was able to commit this particular crime against this particular victim because he was also an illegal immigrant.

6 minutes ago, DConnell said:

... except that this particular crime would not have happened if this guy hadn't been here illegally.

that's an excuse to blanket blame a group of people. not everyone here illegally is here for malicious reasons. that's the point i'm making.

it's a terribly sad situation and I feel for the family but there was no reason for it to be singled out that he was an illegal immigrant as if THAT was the reason he committed the crime; all it ends up doing is negatively effecting peoples views of immigrants in general.

36 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

...because it animates the Trump crowd

Just now, Brandon H said:

that's an excuse to blanket blame a group of people. not everyone here illegally is here for malicious reasons. that's the point i'm making.

it's a terribly sad situation and I feel for the family but there was no reason for it to be singled out that he was an illegal immigrant as if THAT was the reason he committed the crime; all it ends up doing is negatively effecting peoples views of immigrants in general.

We're saying nothing of the sort. But the fact remains that this particular crime could not have happened if he had been in his own country.

Nobody is blaming all illegals for the crime of this piece of trash.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

It's the same concept as the media making huge emphasis of any white vs minority event.  If it supports somebody's agenda, it's going to be dramatized into a huge deal.

20 minutes ago, DConnell said:

We're saying nothing of the sort. But the fact remains that this particular crime could not have happened if he had been in his own country.

Nobody is blaming all illegals for the crime of this piece of trash.

Let’s say that he was Mexico.

Instead, a different pervert saw her jogging and killed her.

Are things better now?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Let’s say that he was Mexico.

Instead, a different pervert saw her jogging and killed her.

Are things better now?

Far from it, but how is that relevant to the case? His crime would have been no less terrible committed in Mexico. Mollie's murder would have been no better committed by an American. But the fact remains, if Christian Rivera had not been in this country illegally, he could not have killed Mollie! Anything else is pure speculation and not relevant. 

There are thousands of murder cases where the perpetrator was a US citizen. How does that change the fact that this guy shouldn't have been here? Does it somehow make his crime less horrible that we have home-grown murderers?

Do you really think the US should accept everyone who wants to enter, the bad as well as the good? There isn't enough home-grown trash, we have to accept other countries' as well? Or should we filter out the bad and just let the good in? Because that's the point of the immigration process the illegals circumvent.

Ho-ly smokes, this take by Sen Warren is probably the worst I've seen.  She is essentially giving thoughts and prayers and then going off on a completely unrelated tangent.  That somehow someone being murdered isn't the "real problem."  Mollie Tibbetts was separated from her family, permanently, with zero hope ever of reunification on this earth.  And Warren has zero compassion for her.  If that isn't a "real problem" then I don't know what is.  What a sad sack.

1 hour ago, Nogib said:

Ho-ly smokes, this take by Sen Warren is probably the worst I've seen.  She is essentially giving thoughts and prayers and then going off on a completely unrelated tangent.  That somehow someone being murdered isn't the "real problem."  Mollie Tibbetts was separated from her family, permanently, with zero hope ever of reunification on this earth.  And Warren has zero compassion for her.  If that isn't a "real problem" then I don't know what is.  What a sad sack.

Damn, Pocahontas really flipped it from being about illegals (oh i'm sorry, Undocumented)  immigrants and murder to children pretty quick.,

3 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Research have shown that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than natural born citizens.

And 100% of illegal immigrants have committed a crime. It's illegal immigrants we're talking about here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, satukoro said:

"It's Brooklyn, we don't lock our doors here."

Best line from the FN article.

Brooklyn, Iowa not Brooklyn, NY but I had the same thoughts as you did at first haha.

5 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Well, we have a problem.

Mexico has the problem, they're just dumping it on the US. As usual.

A lot of illegal immigrants from Mexico are actually farm workers.

>

They cross over the border so they can work illegally as farm labor in the US.

In a few years it won't matter; farm equipment makers are deploying robootic harvesters as fast as they can, advances in affordable machine vision and robotics driving the advances, and farms will buy/lease them because they're faster and less hassle than dealing with migrants and the Feds.

Next excuse?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DocM said:

They cross over the border so they can work illegally as farm labor in the US.

Oh yeah, it's definitely not the choice of the farmers to hire the illegals in the first place right????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DConnell said:

Far from it, but how is that relevant to the case? His crime would have been no less terrible committed in Mexico. Mollie's murder would have been no better committed by an American. But the fact remains, if Christian Rivera had not been in this country illegally, he could not have killed Mollie! Anything else is pure speculation and not relevant. 

There are thousands of murder cases where the perpetrator was a US citizen. How does that change the fact that this guy shouldn't have been here? Does it somehow make his crime less horrible that we have home-grown murderers?

Do you really think the US should accept everyone who wants to enter, the bad as well as the good? There isn't enough home-grown trash, we have to accept other countries' as well? Or should we filter out the bad and just let the good in? Because that's the point of the immigration process the illegals circumvent.

How would you know if someone is good or not?

Christian Rivera has no prior criminal record.

He must be a pretty decent guy right? /s

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

How would you know if someone is good or not?

Christian Rivera has no prior criminal record.

He must be a pretty decent guy right?

Kiddie records tend to be sequestered, so you don't know for sure until the blood spatter flies.

As such, serial rapists and serial killers rarely have an adult prior record, until they're caught. Odds are they'll hook his DNA up to cold cases.

16 hours ago, DConnell said:

Again, it's a strong argument for why those who support strong borders and effective immigration law do so. Let the good ones in, keep garbage like this out.

No, it's a poor argument for people who try to equate illegals with being rapists or murderers.  You know, Trump's sort of people.

The fact of this is, him being an illegal as nothing at all to do with him being a scumbag rapist/murderer.  A does not equal B.

• Like 2

Plus, most illegals commit at least 2 felonies; fraud and forgery (perhaps several counts of each) by using false documentation, and falsifying state (drivers licensed or ID's, property & residential contracts, etc.) or federal documents.

DoJ....

Departments of Justice and Homeland Security Release Data on Incarcerated Aliens—94 Percent of All Confirmed Aliens in DOJ Custody Are Unlawfully Present

>

On Dec. 18, 2017, DOJ and DHS released the FY 2017 4th Quarter Alien Incarceration Report, complying with this order.[1]  The report found that more than one-in-five of all persons in Bureau of Prisons custody were foreign born, and that 94 percent of confirmed aliens in custody were unlawfully present.

>

Among the 37,557 confirmed aliens, 35,334 people (94 percent) were unlawfully present. These numbers include a 92 percent unlawful rate among 24,476 confirmed aliens in BOP custody and a 97 percent unlawful rate among 13,081 confirmed aliens in USMS custody.

This report does not include data on the foreign-born or alien populations in state prisons and local jails because state and local facilities do not routinely provide DHS or DOJ with comprehensive information about their inmates and detainees—which account for approximately 90 percent of the total U.S. incarcerated population.

>

Edited by DocM

5 hours ago, DocM said:

Plus, most illegals commit at least 2 felonies; fraud and forgery (perhaps several counts of each) by using false documentation, and falsifying state (drivers licensed or ID's, property & residential contracts, etc.) or federal documents.

DoJ....

Still doesn't make them all rapists and murderers... Most of them are just otherwise honest but poor people trying to survive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

No, it's a poor argument for people who try to equate illegals with being rapists or murderers.  You know, Trump's sort of people.

The fact of this is, him being an illegal as nothing at all to do with him being a scumbag rapist/murderer.  A does not equal B.

You're right, it doesn't. I've already that much earlier in the thread. But if he hadn't been here illegally, he couldn't have killed Mollie. Do you deny that?

If some of the illegals are bad news, then allowing that uncontrolled influx is a risk to people of the US. Isn't it just as wrong to assume that all illegals are ok, given the fact that they're breaking the law just coming in? To my mind, if they're willing to seriously break federal law in one instance, then they're more likely to break other laws as well. You say it's wrong to assume that all illegals are bad, but that ignores the fact that they've already seriously broken the law. So while they may not be terrible people like this guy, they aren't innocents either.

If someone is already breaking the law on an ongoing basis, why would you assume them trustworthy in general? If it were laws other than immigration, and a person other than an illegal immigrant, would you give him the same benefit of the doubt? Or would you consider them suspect  because of their breaking the law? You have no reason to trust them, and valid reason not to.

If someone broke into your house and refused to leave, would you just shrug and let them stay uncontested? After all, apart from entering without permission, they haven't done anything wrong, right? You wouldn't, right? Because you have no way of knowing if the person just wants a place to stay, or if plan on robbing you or perhaps even killing you. Then why do you expect the US to do so on the national scale?

30 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Still doesn't make them all rapists and murderers... Most of them are just otherwise honest but poor people trying to survive.

Then let them get in line behind the Mexicans and others who played by the rules and came here legally. Those folks are fine, and vetted as best as they can be.

NO line jumpers, who by the way are just as criticized by the Mexicans etc. who followed the rules. 

2 minutes ago, DocM said:

Then let them get in line behind the Mexicans and others who played by the rules and came here legally. Those folks are fine, and vetted as best as they can be.

NO line jumpers, who by the way are just as criticized by the Mexicans etc. who followed the rules. 

I'm not trying to excuse their illegal status. I'm just saying, just because they're illegals, doesn't equate them to being rapists and murderers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DConnell said:

You're right, it doesn't. I've already that much earlier in the thread. But if he hadn't been here illegally, he couldn't have killed Mollie. Do you deny that?

If some of the illegals are bad news, then allowing that uncontrolled influx is a risk to people of the US. Isn't it just as wrong to assume that all illegals are ok, given the fact that they're breaking the law just coming in? To my mind, if they're willing to seriously break federal law in one instance, then they're more likely to break other laws as well. You say it's wrong to assume that all illegals are bad, but that ignores the fact that they've already seriously broken the law. So while they may not be terrible people like this guy, they aren't innocents either.

If someone is already breaking the law on an ongoing basis, why would you assume them trustworthy in general? If it were laws other than immigration, and a person other than an illegal immigrant, would you give him the same benefit of the doubt? Or would you consider them suspect  because of their breaking the law? You have no reason to trust them, and valid reason not to.

Again, all your argument does is trying to equate his status as a murderer and probably rapist, to his being illegal. One has nothing to do with the other and doesn't even need to be said.

It's just the same as the mainstream media saying a gay man robbed a store, or a black man robbed a store. The only relevant part of the information is that a man robbed a store, the rest is just trying to connect the two in some way as if one causes the other.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I'm not trying to excuse their illegal status. I'm just saying, just because they're illegals, doesn't equate them to being rapists and murderers.

And what we're just saying, because of their illegal status, because they skipped the line and the evaluation, we have no way of knowing that! (I freely admit the process will not guarantee an immigrant is "safe" but it's better than just letting everyone in unchecked.)