WiFi speeds- basic question

While I am technical, I am a programmer, not a networking guy. I have a basic level of understanding, but there are something I don't know, so I am hoping to get clarification here.

My internet comes in at 110 Mbps. But if I use my router, I am lucky to get 35MBps and sometimes it slows to the point of being useless. I have a Belkin AC300 and a Netgear AC1200 piggy backed on it (the Netgear has a broken DHCP server and will not wotk with my wife's work laptop.

The fin tech support people with Spectrum tell me that 30-40 over WiFi is normal and to be expected. My stepson is going nuts because his PS4 is getting choked by this slow speed.

Is it correct that on 110 out of the modem, I won't see any better than 40 on my devices?

This is WiFi, you will never get above 40, is true.

I thought the PS4 was wired only?

If you are using alot of devices on that one router, you are choking your internet speed.

"Belkin AC300 and a Netgear AC1200 piggy backed on it"

What you mean by that?

If your router has a bad DHCP server, I would get that replaced asap. Or rather, use static IP's.

12 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

If you are using alot of devices on that one router, you are choking your internet speed.

What you mean by that?

If your router has a bad DHCP server, I would get that replaced asap. Or rather, use static IP's.

I am positive the PS4 has wireless. Looking at one right now. But like MoM said, wireless is poor for gaming. I think OP must have meant they are daisy-chained.

19 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

What you mean by that?

I get 200 up and down out of my wireless and it isn’t the speediest. Never getting above 40 is incorrect. It depends on the equipment. 

5 hours ago, SoCalRox said:

While I am technical, I am a programmer, not a networking guy. I have a basic level of understanding, but there are something I don't know, so I am hoping to get clarification here.

My internet comes in at 110 Mbps. But if I use my router, I am lucky to get 35MBps and sometimes it slows to the point of being useless. I have a Belkin AC300 and a Netgear AC1200 piggy backed on it (the Netgear has a broken DHCP server and will not wotk with my wife's work laptop.

The fin tech support people with Spectrum tell me that 30-40 over WiFi is normal and to be expected. My stepson is going nuts because his PS4 is getting choked by this slow speed.

Is it correct that on 110 out of the modem, I won't see any better than 40 on my devices?

If you are connecting on 5ghz using that AC1200 and aren’t too far from it, there isn’t a lot of reasons why you can’t get the same speed as wired (110). HOWEVER, The PS4 isn’t the best at giving you full speed on any medium. I’m lucky to see over 250/40 wired on a gig connection. 

It also sounds like you might be double NATing. That isn’t going to help anything. 

110Mbps = about 14MBps tops... So take it your 40MB typo or slipup..

As to 30-40mbps over wireless, yeah on some crap wifi router and client.. Low end N speeds, 1 stream..

You can have the fastest Wav2 AC router - doesn't mean anything if you have a 1 stream 2.4ghz  N client...

edt:  Here just took this speedtest from my iphone 7 (OLD)... 400Mbps down on a 500mbps connection... This connected to 1 of my unifi AP around the house, most likely the one in the hallway since in my computer room currently.

Image-1(1).thumb.jpg.57b33ae8d5d9ca5398a12b1f99d241a3.jpg

Netgear ac1200 could in theory see that via its wifi specs saying it can do 867 PHY AC..

27 minutes ago, BudMan said:

110Mbps = about 14MBps tops... So take it your 40MB typo or slipup..

As to 30-40mbps over wireless, yeah on some crap wifi router and client.. Low end N speeds, 1 stream..

You can have the fastest Wav2 AC router - doesn't mean anything if you have a 1 stream 2.4ghz  N client...

edt:  Here just took this speedtest from my iphone 7 (OLD)... 400Mbps down on a 500mbps connection... This connected to 1 of my unifi AP around the house, most likely the one in the hallway since in my computer room currently.

Image-1(1).thumb.jpg.57b33ae8d5d9ca5398a12b1f99d241a3.jpg

Netgear ac1200 could in theory see that via its wifi specs saying it can do 867 PHY AC..

I can’t seem to get more than 200 down out of any of my UniFi APs. :(

I can get close to 400 up though. 

/hijack 

Hello,

It sounds like one limiting factor is your wife's work laptop not working with the DHCP server of your current home router, so maybe asking her work to recommend a current 802.1ac Wave 2 router would be a start?  Replacing the Belkin and Netgear devices with one router will surely offer some kind of improvement.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

can’t seem to get more than 200 down out of any of my UniFi APs

What firmware you running?  What AP?  Other clients?  That you scream 400 upload seems odd to be sure.. Have you tried just using a different server to test with.. Or just run your own local test, like a file copy or something.  I know that can be hard with same phone or ipad..

I wish I got 400 up ;)  my plan is 500/50 and while I see more than 500 all the time on a wire.. 50 is more like 40 even on a wire.. 

Its good this morning for upload - or maybe its just this server..

Image-1(2).thumb.jpg.6c0b13d715ff6d238157d8488b495820.jpg

I normally don't see that upload.

Probably worth doing a speed test with a cable to the device to understand the difference between wired and wifi.  The wired number is likely to be closer to the actual max you can get.

If the wired and wireless numbers are similar, then it isn't the wireless that is the problem.

now this what talking about... Thta is some screaming wifi right there..

IMG_4210.thumb.PNG.a765c930526487a853ea46b3529f1069.PNG

So yeah who ever told you 30-40 is normal or typical.. not on anything current for devices its not..

Unless they send you new equipment, if you have poor WiFi now...it'll continue to be poor. 

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

What firmware you running?  What AP?  Other clients?  That you scream 400 upload seems odd to be sure.. Have you tried just using a different server to test with.. Or just run your own local test, like a file copy or something.  I know that can be hard with same phone or ipad..

I wish I got 400 up ;)  my plan is 500/50 and while I see more than 500 all the time on a wire.. 50 is more like 40 even on a wire.. 

Its good this morning for upload - or maybe its just this server..

Image-1(2).thumb.jpg.6c0b13d715ff6d238157d8488b495820.jpg

I normally don't see that upload.

3 x UAP-AC-Pro, 3.9.42.9152 firmware

5Ghz only; channels 161,157,153 with a width of 80 and a transmit power of medium. 

Clients I use are typically iPhone 7+ and an X1 Carbon 6th Gen as well as an ASUS UX501VW laptop. Changing servers varies numbers some but the much higher upload is always the same theme. 

063ED7A6-BC55-4E78-ACBC-257DB2EC1AF0.png

Do you have a preference for a higher up? 

I get a smidgen over 200 down, but my up is a paltry 10. 

10 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

3 x UAP-AC-Pro, 3.9.42.9152 firmware

5Ghz only; channels 161,157,153 with a width of 80 and a transmit power of medium. 

Clients I use are typically iPhone 7+ and an X1 Carbon 6th Gen as well as an ASUS UX501VW laptop. Changing servers varies numbers some but the much higher upload is always the same theme. 

063ED7A6-BC55-4E78-ACBC-257DB2EC1AF0.png

ah Century Link. that explains a bit; I've never cared for them as an ISP because they still use DSL outside of their few Fiber areas. gives weird speed ratios from my experience.

9 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Do you have a preference for a higher up? 

I get a smidgen over 200 down, but my up is a paltry 10. 

No sir. 

5 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

ah Century Link. that explains a bit; I've never cared for them as an ISP because they still use DSL outside of their few Fiber areas. gives weird speed ratios from my experience.

But how does it explain it? I’m good with a logical reason, I just need to hear it ?

I never saw this from Cox, but then I had a little itty bitty upload then. The down was still just as slow however. 

9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

No sir. 

But how does it explain it? I’m good with a logical reason, I just need to hear it ?

could be the plan your paying for or the modem streams or something else. still hard to say.

does OP have any devices hard-wired to the router/modem to run a speed test and compare with the wifi speeds? This should be the easiest way to tell if it's the Wifi at fault or the ISP connection itself :)

2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

could be the plan your paying for or the modem streams or something else. still hard to say.

do you have any devices hard-wired to the router/modem to run a speed test and compare with the wifi speeds? This should be the easiest way to tell if it's the Wifi at fault or the ISP connection itself :)

Yeah most of my stuff is hardwired and I get 900-940 up and down. 

33 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

3.9.42.9152 firmware

That is not current beta.. I have seem some fluctuations in performance depending on the firmware.  I am currently running 3.9.45

There is a thread somewhere on their beta sections where a guy is nice enough to benchmark like every new firmware, etc.

You sure you are running those channels - they are not correct for 80mhz to not overlap.. 

What does unfi controller show, for example here is 1 of mine

155 (149,+1)

That is set for 80vht

Are you doing any sort of airtime fairness or bandsteering or FT?  I would turn off those features and do some testing.. Airtime fairness can be a killer and unless your really dense with lots of clients not needed.

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Yeah most of my stuff is hardwired and I get 900-940 up and down. 

god i wish i got those speeds. I currently get 50/30 at home

14 minutes ago, BudMan said:

That is not current beta.. I have seem some fluctuations in performance depending on the firmware.  I am currently running 3.9.45

There is a thread somewhere on their beta sections where a guy is nice enough to benchmark like every new firmware, etc.

You sure you are running those channels - they are not correct for 80mhz to not overlap.. 

I've attached the radio config screenshots. What should the channels be at?

I'll also flash the beta firmware.

14 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

god i wish i got those speeds. I currently get 50/30 at home

Its a bit slower today.

7533195619.png

Radio configs, 2.4 is disabled on the network I use.

ap1.PNG

ap2.PNG

ap4.PNG

see my edit... asking about airtime fairness, etc.

I tend to pick the fist channel in the band.. Unifi over the years has changed what happens depending on what channel you pick in the band.. See how yours is showing channel 155 (153-1)..

Your not using DFS capable devices as your clients are you - you could try those.. But to be on the safe side prob just run 36 on 1, 149 on the other and then on the 3rd 36,149 depending on which one you put as far a way as the possible..  So like

36 --- 149 --- 36

Depending on their locations.  But the 2 on the same channels as far away from each other as possible.  If your running new controller they have a auto channel picker feature ;)

autochannel.thumb.png.09a2ae3de5d62592536e887f3dec0301.png

Under the map section - make sure you do a scan, etc.

Unless your using DFS channels there are only 2 channels that do not overlap in the US if wanting to use 80vht

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BudMan said:

see my edit... asking about airtime fairness, etc.

I tend to pick the fist channel in the band.. Unifi over the years has changed what happens depending on what channel you pick in the band.. See how yours is showing channel 155 (153-1)..

Your not using DFS capable devices as your clients are you - you could try those.. But to be on the safe side prob just run 36 on 1, 149 on the other and then on the 3rd 36,149 depending on which one you put as far a way as the possible..  So like

36 --- 149 --- 36

Depending on their locations.  But the 2 on the same channels as far away from each other as possible.  If your running new controller they have a auto channel picker feature ;)

autochannel.thumb.png.09a2ae3de5d62592536e887f3dec0301.png

Under the map section - make sure you do a scan, etc.

Unless your using DFS channels there are only 2 channels that do not overlap in the US if wanting to use 80vht

Lots to digest—airtime fairness is off and band steering is prefer 5G. 

Which controller is that? Is it the 5.9.x branch?

edit: I see it. How did I ever miss this? Lol. 

Yeah 5.9.20 but thought they added that back in the 5.8 branch.

I haven't played with it since it first came out.. Since I don't have tons of AP just the 3 and they simple deployment in a line down the house, etc.

guestroom --- hallway --- kitchen.. About equal distance between each, etc..

The 5ghz bands get tricky depending on what vht your using.. 20 there are lots, 40 only 4 and with 80 you only have the 2.. But DFS changes the ballgame.. But while unifi AP support it - there are many clients that don't like them...  So I just stay away from them with such a simple deployment.

Go with the 36 and 149 for your 3.. bump the firmware and see what kind f speeds you get - also check what phy your clients are showing on your RX and TX..

air2.thumb.png.f1be222d6073c7592d29714d2526b869.png

Wife must have the ipad on - I can see its connected at 867 both RX and TX..

And your all using wired uplink right, you don't have any of them daisy chained?  They all homerun back to your switch.  Also do you have Fast Roaming enabled?  I would turn that off for sure for testing to see why your getting slow download vs your upload.