• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The Floor Of HDR: Just How Good Is It?

Recommended Posts

PGHammer    1,482

We are now seeing $300USD (and sub-$300USD on sale) HDTVs that support both 4K and HDR from the Usual Suspects (Samsung, TCL, Sharp, Toshiba); the question is how good are these low-end TVs with HDR and/or 4K (especially native content - not consoles)? (Toshiba is a newcomer to those Usual Suspects with their new FireTV Edition line, powered by Amazon's FireOS - it has my inside track for exactly this reason; I do like the FireTV UI and UX; further, it will obviate my FireTV stick without forcing me to replace it - I simply move my account to the TV from the stick).  I don't hate TCL (or RokuTV - we have one in the sunroom in 32"); however, how much of the love for both is based on price? (Toshiba's FireTV Edition is, in fact, priced identically to the TCL and Sharp Roku-powered models; does Roku actually outperform FireTV with all else being equal?)  I am looking at 43" (a size upgrade from 40") in terms of the Toshiba - I have not seen either Roku-powered model in 43" (they do have them in 40").

 

Still, I wonder - how well does the floor perform?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dead.cell    4,259

Supposedly, the HDR on the Toshiba is mediocre, but I find it curious that some of the models it gets compared to are $200+ in price (TCL 6 series), which makes it a hard comparison. I bought the 50" Toshiba FireTV and I love it for all that it is. One thing particularly that I like is navigating menus is a breeze. From the time it turns on to the time I'm back in my show is incredibly minimal, instead of having this laggy navigation.

 

Here are some reviews from maybe better sources. Obviously I love mine, but I'm not a TV head if I'm honest.

 

https://www.pcmag.com/review/362254/toshiba-43-inch-fire-tv-edition-43lf621u19

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/toshiba/amazon-fire-tv-2018

 

In fact, the only thing that made me mad about my TV was seeing it on sale during Prime Day for $289 for the 50"... :pinch: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer    1,482
On 8/7/2018 at 5:53 PM, dead.cell said:

Supposedly, the HDR on the Toshiba is mediocre, but I find it curious that some of the models it gets compared to are $200+ in price (TCL 6 series), which makes it a hard comparison. I bought the 50" Toshiba FireTV and I love it for all that it is. One thing particularly that I like is navigating menus is a breeze. From the time it turns on to the time I'm back in my show is incredibly minimal, instead of having this laggy navigation.

 

Here are some reviews from maybe better sources. Obviously I love mine, but I'm not a TV head if I'm honest.

 

https://www.pcmag.com/review/362254/toshiba-43-inch-fire-tv-edition-43lf621u19

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/toshiba/amazon-fire-tv-2018

 

In fact, the only thing that made me mad about my TV was seeing it on sale during Prime Day for $289 for the 50"... :pinch: 

dead.cell- I LOATHE those sorts of comparisons; it reminds me of "upselling" (typically done if you sell on commission).

I still have not seen a Toshiba FireTV Ediiton on display yet; however, the Samsung NU6900 that my mom bought for herself (and I set up) is a very pleasant surprise for a low-end 4K HDTV.

 

Pluses: supports HDR and 4K on both HDMI inputs, supports 5 GHz N wireless networking, supports Samsung SmartThings, Tizen-based SmartHub can be configured via SmartThings.

 

Minuses: not enough HDMI inputs for console owners (it has just two).  (So far, that is the only minus.)

 

Samsung SmartThings: Wireless-based IoT for compatible hardware (including some non-Samsung hardware).  It can be controlled via Samsung smartphones and tablets back at least two years (I use my S7 for this - so you don't need a new smartphone from Samsung. It merely has to be running Nougat or later.)  You can also configure SmartHub apps on these HDTVs via SmartThings - I exported my YouTube channel settings this way to the YouTube app of the TV.  YouTube is my only source of 4K or HDR other than Amazon Prime for the TV currently (in YouTube's case, it is the HDR Channel).

 

HDR picture quality - if your network meets the standards for 4K HDR, once you get an eyeful, you will hate going back to SDR - I can say that with a straight face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,517
8 hours ago, PGHammer said:

dead.cell- I LOATHE those sorts of comparisons; it reminds me of "upselling" (typically done if you sell on commission).

I still have not seen a Toshiba FireTV Ediiton on display yet; however, the Samsung NU6900 that my mom bought for herself (and I set up) is a very pleasant surprise for a low-end 4K HDTV.

 

Pluses: supports HDR and 4K on both HDMI inputs, supports 5 GHz N wireless networking, supports Samsung SmartThings, Tizen-based SmartHub can be configured via SmartThings.

 

Minuses: not enough HDMI inputs for console owners (it has just two).  (So far, that is the only minus.)

 

Samsung SmartThings: Wireless-based IoT for compatible hardware (including some non-Samsung hardware).  It can be controlled via Samsung smartphones and tablets back at least two years (I use my S7 for this - so you don't need a new smartphone from Samsung. It merely has to be running Nougat or later.)  You can also configure SmartHub apps on these HDTVs via SmartThings - I exported my YouTube channel settings this way to the YouTube app of the TV.  YouTube is my only source of 4K or HDR other than Amazon Prime for the TV currently (in YouTube's case, it is the HDR Channel).

 

HDR picture quality - if your network meets the standards for 4K HDR, once you get an eyeful, you will hate going back to SDR - I can say that with a straight face.

I'd be curious to know if that has a input config setting for PC and if it has mouse lag or not - any chance you have a laptop you could plug into it?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daniel F.    585

it all comes down to the "nits" or brightness if you will. To get vivid vibrant colour you need brightness.

 

Dull HDR is rubbish checkout most first gen HDR sets and baseline HDR400 compatibility . LCD will always be limited in what they can achieve and is why for the best HDR experience you need OLED technology and with VESA spec 1000 nits  brightness.

 

That being said i have a Phillips '16 model tv with HDR400 and although the colour vibrance is better i find it underwhelming. 

 

i have seen demo's of the latest gen HDR1000 sets and there is improvement but for really good HDR the cost is quite high.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer    1,482
On 1/9/2019 at 1:31 AM, DevTech said:

I'd be curious to know if that has a input config setting for PC and if it has mouse lag or not - any chance you have a laptop you could plug into it?

 

 

If you connect a PC, you should use the PC's own settings - I connected my desktop PC to a 32" Samsung D-series HDTV via HDMI; the same would be just as true with laptops or notebooks.  (This is whether the TV supports 4K or not.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,517
1 hour ago, PGHammer said:

If you connect a PC, you should use the PC's own settings - I connected my desktop PC to a 32" Samsung D-series HDTV via HDMI; the same would be just as true with laptops or notebooks.  (This is whether the TV supports 4K or not.)

HUH?

 

TV's have lag. The lag increases with motion processing designed to make hockey pucks and stuff look better, but desktop mouse pointers look like you need new glasses!

 

So, TV's usually have a Game or PC input to turn off a certain amount of pixel processing.

 

And in many TVs the full native removal of ALL processing only happens when you use the "Rename" feature on the TV to label that input with two letters "PC"

 

Crazy and stupid? I didn't invent the system. Just read too many manuals when I started using LCD TVs and was amazed at how extremely reluctant the manufacturers were about giving up their beloved "super secret sauce video processing which makes out brand the best"

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.