• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Epson Printhead Warning

Nutshell    1

I've owned several Canon and HP printers.  I always disabled the low ink message.  It did
not effect their performance or longevity.

About three months ago I purchased an Epson printer.  I'm concerned about disabling the
low ink message after reading this warning:

https://www.inksaver.co.za/en/blog/Low-ink-warning.php

"WARNING: Epson printheads are very sensitive, so as soon as the printer gives you a
‘Cartridge Empty’ warning, you have to replace the ink cartridge as running Epson
cartridges to empty could damage the printhead
."

Is this warning from Epson a scam to sell more expensive factory ink?

Mindovermaster    1,527

Basically, yeah. Just a scheme to get you to buy more ink. Get a laser jet, and be done with it...

• Like 1

Nutshell    1
Posted (edited)

In my home office I frequently print a lot for a few days, then skip a few weeks.   After reading
that warning I considered exchanging this Epson printer for another Canon or HP model.

I'm only guessing, but it seems like the low ink message appears at 70-to-80% empty.  If you
junk the cartridge you're wasting expensive ink.  That's why I always disable the low ink message.

Mindovermaster    1,527

Change to laser ink. I did this maybe 2 years ago, and I'm still on my first toner that came with the system.

Obi-Wan Kenobi    1,112
Posted (edited)

Doesn't the print head reside on the cartridge itself? If it's already low, I don't see it damaging too much of anything, especially if you replace it anyway. I would not worry about it. But like mind said, laser ink lasts longer and is well worth it in the long run.

helpifIcan    40
10 hours ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

Doesn't the print head reside on the cartridge itself? If it's already low, I don't see it damaging too much of anything, especially if you replace it anyway. I would not worry about it. But like mind said, laser ink lasts longer and is well worth it in the long run.

Some models have ink tanks then the print head is a separate piece of hardware.

DConnell    6,401
11 hours ago, Nutshell said:

In my home office I frequently print a lot for a few days, then skip a few weeks.   After reading
that warning I considered exchanging this Epson printer for another Canon or HP model.

If you go a while between print jobs, you'd be much better off getting a laser printer. Ink dries out; toner can't (is already dry) so it keeps a lot longer. And the page count for a laser cartridge is a lot higher than for an ink tank.

You'll save a lot of money in the long run if you go laser.