Blue light emitted from smartphones and laptops accelerates blindness – study

Blue light emitted from smartphone and laptop screens speeds up blindness by transforming vital molecules in the eye’s retina into cell killers, according to new research.

The study, carried out by optical chemistry researchers at the University of Toledo, explains how exposure to blue light can cause age-related macular degeneration – one of the leading worldwide causes of blindness.

“It’s no secret that blue light harms our vision by damaging the eye’s retina. Our experiments explain how this happens, and we hope this leads to therapies that slow macular degeneration, such as a new kind of eye drop,” study co-author Ajith Karunarathne said.

Details of the research have been published in Scientific Reports.

Continue reading: https://www.rt.com/usa/435655-blue-light-smartphones-blindnes

Any recommendations how to reduce exposure to blue light?

1 hour ago, nagokod said:

Continue reading: https://www.rt.com/usa/435655-blue-light-smartphones-blindnes

Any recommendations how to reduce exposure to blue light?

Use the Night Light feature in Windows 10, or download F.Lux, it makes light a warmer colour. I think some phones have either similar functionality, or apps available AFAIK.

EDIT: I also turn my brightnesses down, with modern LED screens being so bright there's no need to have them full brightness unless it's a phone in bright sunlight.

Edited by Tidosho

On 8/12/2018 at 9:34 AM, nagokod said:

Thanks!

For Linux I found redshift (inspired by f.lux)

I've seen redshift installed by default on a couple distros recently; do you use it? how would you compare it to the linux version of f.lux?

i've been using the blue light filter on my phone for a while now, since they said that it stops melatonin from being produced.  now this!

the computer i always have lights on, and supposedly the blue light isn't as bad when it's in white light?  (seems strange)

On 8/15/2018 at 1:19 PM, Brandon H said:

I've seen redshift installed by default on a couple distros recently; do you use it? how would you compare it to the linux version of f.lux?

Yes, I use Redshift and I like it. Only downside is that to change settings you have to edit a config file.

I haven't tried f.lux on Linux so I can't compare the two.

• 2 weeks later...

Reduce Your Risk for Macular Degeneration

Blocking blue light may help reduce your risk and improve your sleep. In addition to eating foods high in vitamin E, there are other strategies you may consider to reduce the potential risk of AMD.

• Blue blocking glasses — Blocking blue light helps regulate your internal clock to control sleep patterns and reduces the negative effect the high energy wavelengths have on your macula. One of the least expensive and simplest ways to achieve this is to wear blue light-blocking glasses after 7 p.m. If you consistently use a digital device during the day, consider using the glasses each day after noon.
  • Install blue-blocking software on your digital devices — Iris is the absolute best one and I have used it for many years. If you use Iris at night, you won't need blue blocking glasses.
  • Replace LED lights with incandescent bulbs — LED lighting is mandated in the U.S. and much of Europe to conserve energy, but the biological impact is significant. Unfortunately, many of the LED lights sold today emit a large portion of aggressive blue light. Discover how to identify healthier LED lighting in my previous article, “How LED Lighting May Compromise Your Health.”
  • Sleep in total darkness — Protecting your eyes from light at night, no matter how minute the exposure, will help you achieve deeper and more restorative sleep. Consider sleeping with a mask, removing all light emitting objects from your room and using room darkening blinds.
  • Eat foods to protect your sight — You may help protect your sight eating nutrient-dense foods. Omega-3 fats help improve cell structure and protect your sight, while whole foods high in anthocyanins and bioflavonoids help protect your cells from free radical damage. Discover the foods your body needs to protect your sight in my previous article, “Eat Right to Protect Your Eyesight.”

Source: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2018/08/29/blue-light-blindness-study.aspx

On 8/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, adrynalyne said:

Hm. Been using smartphones and computers for years. My last eye exam; my vision improved... 

Mine hasnt gotten any better, but has not gotten any worse. 

My most recent pair of glasses have a blue light filtering coating and since then I haven't really had to mess with any of the above solutions.

I'm curious what the risk assessment is - by spending time huddled in front of a blue light-emitting display in a basement, do you at least break even, or are even better off than if you were outdoor enjoying the sun (which emits blue wavelengths in addition to that nasty UV stuff).

LCD's emit very strong blues, enough to contribute to macular degeneration so most folks should use eyeware or screen filters, or the software fixes.

As far as LED lights go, there are "warm,"  "natural,"  or "true white" spectrum bulbs on the market which are less trublesome.

My intra-ocular haptic lens implants* have built-in high intensity blue and UV filters, most implants do now, so....

* due to cataracts my natural lenses were removed & replaced 

Edited by DocM