• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Pendrive Write Protect

bisht123    0

Pen drive is Write Protect,It don't show its size in pc,whenever i format it it shows write protected.How can i remove this write protect policy from pendrive ?

IMG_20180809_232917.jpg

IMG_20180809_232915.jpg

IMG_20180809_232915.jpg

xendrome    5,051

Drive is bad, replace it.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,475
9 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Drive is bad, replace it.

What he said... There's probably a hardware fault here. PCB broke or something.

• Like 1

Obi-Wan Kenobi    1,106
Posted (edited)

Is there a physical switch on the drive? It may be set to read-only. (Worth a try)

edit: oops. Missed the part about it not showing it’s size. Probably toast. 

ThaCrip    438
Posted (edited)

You can try the following...

Step 1. Press Windows key and R key at the same time, type cmd in the Run box, hit Enter to open command prompt(cmd.exe).
Step 2. Type 'diskpart' to run Diskpart Utility.
Step 3. Type 'list disk' to list the drives on the computer.
Step 4. Type 'select disk 1' (The number should be replaced by the exact drive number of your SD card).
Step 5. Type 'clean' to run the clean utility (this will wipe all data on the SD card so make sure you saved a copy or backup of the card data).
Step 6. Type 'create partition primary' to create a new partition on the SD card.
Step 7. Type 'select partition 1' (it should be the newly created partition on step 6).
Step 8. Type 'active' to make the partition active.
Step 9. Type 'format fs=ntfs' (or 'format fs=fat32')to format the partition to the desired file system.

that revived a Sony 16GB SD card not long ago for me (I did not have the same error as you though) that would not work otherwise. but apparently you can only do so much and if it fails, the thing is shot.

NOTE: remove the " ' " from the above text when typing. so instead of 'diskpart' and pressing enter you just type diskpart and press enter.

Edited by ThaCrip
  • Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,475
3 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

You can try the following...

Step 1. Press Windows key and R key at the same time, type cmd in the Run box, hit Enter to open command prompt(cmd.exe).
Step 2. Type 'diskpart' to run Diskpart Utility.
Step 3. Type 'list disk' to list the drives on the computer.
Step 4. Type 'select disk 1' (The number should be replaced by the exact drive number of your SD card).
Step 5. Type 'clean' to run the clean utility (this will wipe all data on the SD card so make sure you saved a copy or backup of the card data).
Step 6. Type 'create partition primary' to create a new partition on the SD card.
Step 7. Type 'select partition 1' (it should be the newly created partition on step 6).
Step 8. Type 'active' to make the partition active.
Step 9. Type 'format fs=ntfs' (or 'format fs=fat32')to format the partition to the desired file system.

that revived a Sony 16GB SD card not long ago for me (I did not have the same error as you though) that would not work otherwise. but apparently you can only do so much and if it fails, the thing is shot.

NOTE: remove the " ' " from the above text when typing. so instead of 'diskpart' and pressing enter you just type diskpart and press enter.

IDK, but I do not think that will work like your card...

• Like 1

ThaCrip    438

@Mindovermaster

like I say, it might not help him but it appears that's about as good as one can do with a USB flash device as I had the Sony 16GB SD card connected to one of those reader devices (the ones that can read multiple memory cards) and then from there connected to a basic USB 2 port and used that basic 9 step thing and it revived the card from the grave.

Mindovermaster    1,475
1 hour ago, ThaCrip said:

@Mindovermaster

like I say, it might not help him but it appears that's about as good as one can do with a USB flash device as I had the Sony 16GB SD card connected to one of those reader devices (the ones that can read multiple memory cards) and then from there connected to a basic USB 2 port and used that basic 9 step thing and it revived the card from the grave.

Well, he said "pen drive" not "SD card". They are read differently by your computer.

ThaCrip    438
15 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, he said "pen drive" not "SD card". They are read differently by your computer.

Yeah, but I kind of assume the basic process I explained would react basically the same way. hence, it's worth a chance to try what I was suggesting. it might not do anything but worse case scenario is you lose maybe a few minutes of your time trying it as it's worth a shot so you don't have to buy another USB stick.