• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

uTorrent Keep Crashing ON Exit

Question

Orange    110

Good morning all,

For a few weeks now my uTorrent keeps crashing on exit, is there any way around this?

Regards

7 answers to this question

techbeck    6,351

uTorrent...stopped using that a while ago.  I use Deluge now in the rare cases I torrent anything these days.

Anyway, I would try an uninstall and reinstall to the latest version if you have not already.

dipsylalapo    1,327
59 minutes ago, techbeck said:

uTorrent...stopped using that a while ago.  I use Deluge now in the rare cases I torrent anything these days.

Anyway, I would try an uninstall and reinstall to the latest version if you have not already.

No no no :P 

IF you still want to use uTorrent, download v2.2.1. It's the last version, I believe, that didn't have ads and all the rest of the junk that now comes bundled with uTorrent. I think it may lack some features, but for basic torrenting, it'll work just fine :)

Otherwise, as techbeck suggested, Deluge is a good alternative. 

InsaneNutter    1,122
27 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

IF you still want to use uTorrent, download v2.2.1. It's the last version, I believe, that didn't have ads and all the rest of the junk that now comes bundled with uTorrent. I think it may lack some features, but for basic torrenting, it'll work just fine :)

It's very likely that is also vulnerable to a remote execution flaw: BitTorrent Client uTorrent Suffers Security Vulnerability

As much as I really like the older versions of uTorrent, it's probably not worth the risk using them today.

I switched to qBittorrent, which seemed a good modern alternative for someone who likes the general layout of the uTorrent UI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brandon H    2,031
38 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

No no no :P 

Otherwise, as techbeck suggested, Deluge is a good alternative. 

we're now to the point that I no longer recommend that version of uTorrent for the reason @InsaneNutter stated above; that version is no longer secure enough for everyday use

personally I've moved to qBittorrent for my torrenting needs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dipsylalapo    1,327

Ah that's good to know! Thanks chaps.

Steven P.    10,941
2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

personally I've moved to qBittorrent for my torrenting needs

Saaaaame (Y) 

ThaCrip    438

I switched to qBittorrent earlier this year and don't regret it as it's basically uTorrent but without the BS.

if you must use uTorrent I suggest... http://www.oldapps.com/utorrent.php?old_utorrent=8134