• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Can I upgrade this laptop? Best motherboard, graphics, cpu?

Izlude    88

Hi folks, I got a nice Aspire 7741z-4643 at salvation army for $20.   I was watching vids on youtube and discovered that the CPU can indeed be upgraded (the guy put an i5 520m) and some commented putting i5 560m.  But then in another of his vids, he actually swapped the motherboard to gain Radeon 5400 series graphics (on board chipset).  So I'm definitely interested in doing something similar, except I'm wondering what the BEST options are.

Does there exist a board that allows for dedicated graphics that would fit in this model/shell? (my own mobile GPU to physically plug in.  myold aspire 5930g... or something... forgot... allowed me to plug a 5870, it was great!!).  If not, and instead I opt for a board similar to one the guy in the video used (with chipset graphics instead of the CPU's HD graphics) what's the HIGHEST CPU supported of the i5 520m era that could work?  I'll be digging around goog, not sure I'll find it, but I hope someone here might have an idea ;)  Here's the video I was watching:

https://youtu.be/QwwzqsiJMTE

Mindovermaster    1,475

Well, the board has to fit the casing, too. There's no "standard" design.

Your best bet is to just buy a new laptop.

Brandon H    2,032

most likely the guy in the video took the board from a similar Acer model. that's really the only way i could think of that everything (shape and usb ports ect) would line up still.

there's no set standard for laptop mobos so every OEM and manufacturer has different design, shape, and even chip/connector placements.

labtop mobos aside it's usually a pain to find laptop CPUs in the consumer marketplace; they're usually only marketed/sold to the OEM manufacturers; there's a few listed on Newegg but not the ones you need...

+goretsky    897

Hello,

Assuming the motherboard's firmware supports it, and there are no cooling problems, you could conceivable fit an Intel i5-580M CPU in there, along with 8GB of DDR3-1066 RAM in the form of two 4GB SO-DIMMS.  As far as storage goes, both Micron and Angelbird offer 2.5" SATA SSDs in the 8TB range, for $2000-6500, respectively.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

Izlude    88

Thanks Goretsky.  Went for an i5 560m as it was $7 and not much more "Umph" from the 580m, plus the 560m seems to be a confirmed compatible. Glad to see I'm not that far from the ceiling with this choice. Should arrive on friday.

Funny how I had made a post a few months back looking for a sweet spot laptop for Win7 and Win10 dual booter, (very lightweight gaming, Minecraft Win10 Ed and emu at the most), I'd basically be using this thing as a lightweight 3D Modeler (EasyToy and PatternImage to make 3D printables and plush doll cut patterns), as well as printing my T-shirt patterns and cutting them with my plotter and Illustrator. At $20 for the initial purchase, this is just what I needed.  But definitely need that push from the p6100 to the i5 560m. 

+goretsky    897

Hello,

Make sure you update the Acer Aspire 7741z-4643 laptop's BIOS firmware to the latest version before installing the new processor.  Also, be sure to clean it out thoroughly while you have it open and check to make sure that the fan(s) on the heat sink are spinning up and running properly,  On a laptop like that which is about eight years old, I would suspect some wear there, and replacing it should allow for a few more years of service.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

OpTechWork    0

Seems like a giant waste of money IMO, that thins is practically ancient and good luck getting any driver support

Izlude    88

Chip is in and boy what a difference. No more struggling to open explorer while YouTube is playing in background. Even Mineplex lobby doesn't stick anymore. I had never heard of a p6100, but the i5 560m was a major boost over it. Photoshop and illustrator are good, can finally use my plotter now. Thanks again.

• Like 3