Laptop For My Niece

My niece, turning 8 in October 6th. We all asked her what she wanted, and she wants a laptop.

My parents are thinking of me giving her one of my old laptops. I'm like, NO. I think she would do better with a ChromeBook, rather than a whole fledged laptop. I'll have to ask her parents, brother and sis-in-law, what exactly she "needs" it for. If it's just for school work and playing web games, (she already has several tablets) I think the ChromeBook will do better for her age. She isn't going to be tweaking with it.

Any suggestions? I've looked online, and there are several different kinds. I dunno what's best for her. I never used a ChromeBook before. I'm looking at the $100-200 range.

This could be one of those times I think a Chromebook might be a nice first computer. Schools all use them anyway, so what the heck?

Not a Chromebook fan at all, but they can have their uses and times when beneficial.

19 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

This could be one of those times I think a Chromebook might be a nice first computer. Schools all use them anyway, so what the heck?

Not a Chromebook fan at all, but they can have their uses and times when beneficial.

My thought exactly...

Yeah, I should find out in a few days. Then we can select an equivalent system.

19 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, I should find out in a few days. Then we can select an equivalent system.

Yea, gather all the info first.  You can get a low end cheap basic laptop with full windows as well and then lock it down so she cannot mess things up.  What I typically do with niece/nephews.   Chomebooks are nice and are great for internet/word processing and if that all she does, then it would be good.

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Yea, gather all the info first.  You can get a low end cheap basic laptop with full windows as well and then lock it down so she cannot mess things up.  What I typically do with niece/nephews.   Chomebooks are nice and are great for internet/word processing and if that all she does, then it would be good.

From what I found out from my Mom:

-She wants to play games. Probably she just means android or online flash games

-She wants a keyboard/mouse. Probably hates using the on-screen keyboard on her tablets.

-She wants to watch YouTube videos. Probably goes along with the keyboard bit.

-She wants a bigger screen. Her tablets are only 6-7" wide. Probably a 13-15" would be better for her.

-She also wants it for school work, and looking up things online.

-She can take it anywhere she goes. School, Babysitters, Car Trips, etc.

That enough for you? If you need to know any more, please do ask.

flash games will be a problem on a Chromebook but I doubt she would truly care or notice that missing. scratch that; i guess unlike on android Chrome OS still supports and is loaded with flash for now.
https://kb.nsd.org/article-708.html

a lot of browser games have gone HTML5 now

now that chromebooks can load android apps you should have everything covered that she would truly want for 'gaming'

Any of you know "which" ChromeBook would be best for her? I personally like the ASUS one, but idk the Chrome language...

18 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Any of you know "which" ChromeBook would be best for her? I personally like the ASUS one, but idk the Chrome language...

I like ASUS and HP.  But do reviews on both Brands. They tend to vary every now and then. And pay more attention to the real user reviews and not the reviews that are done in a lab.

28 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

but idk the Chrome language...

Pretty much like a phone or PC.  You're buying the device for how it looks and the OS. Rest is just picking the specs.  Higher the specs the more expensive it is. 

4 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I'm looking at the $100-200 range.

Check out the Acer Chromebook Spin 11 line. They have one around that range.  If you can go up around the $200 - $300 range instead, you can get a better device. 

https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C101PA-DB02-Quad-Core-Lightweight-Touchscreen/dp/B075KFFMZS?tag=georiot-us-default-20&ascsubtag=trd-2937208535118103294-20

Or a little cheaper with a celeron processor.  Also, less features.  Personally, I would shell out an extra $80 and get the one in the first link I posted.

https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C202SA-YS02-Ruggedized-Resistant-Celeron/dp/B01DBGVB7K/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534801096&sr=1-8&keywords=ASUS+Chromebook+Flip&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

4 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Check out the Acer Chromebook Spin 11 line. They have one around that range.  If you can go up around the $200 - $300 range instead, you can get a better device. 

https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C101PA-DB02-Quad-Core-Lightweight-Touchscreen/dp/B075KFFMZS?tag=georiot-us-default-20&ascsubtag=trd-2937208535118103294-20

If I had to get it refurbished, (to keep the price down) I would do so.

Hello,

I purchased a Lenovo IdeaPad 110-15ISK for my girlfriend earlier this year.  It has a Pentium 4405U, Intel HD 510, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD.  It was a little over $200 after taxes.  I replaced the 500GB with a spare 500GB SSD I had, and put the HDD into an external USB enclosure for her to use for backups.

I intend to add a 4GB DDR4 SO-DIMM at some point in the future  (it has 4GB onboard and has one available slot).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I can get a Dell Chromebook 13 - 3380 for $227 from outlet (refurb)

Edited by Mindovermaster

I'm not a fan of Acer or Dell due to their sub-par quality, so if it were me, I'd go with Asus or Samsung for the $200 price range.

Asus:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DBGVB7K/ref=psdc_13896615011_t1_B074MJHTRS

Samsung:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5P6TJW/ref=psdc_13896615011_t1_B01DBGVB7K

Obviously you can play the price game forever, but a little extra $ will get some higher specs and quality:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Chromebook-11-6-Inch-1366x768-Chrome/dp/B074MJHTRS/

Edited by Astra.Xtreme

15.6" screen is big and will be a pain to lug around ? 13" should be more than enough for what she wants to use it for and carry around I have a HP Pavilion with a 13" screen and it will fit in any old bag and backpack :)

I have to agree with Astra; have not been a fan of Acer or Dell consumer models, but that can be said about most of the OEMs anymore; all their quality goes to the business grade models

ASUS and Samsung are 2 that DO put out decent consumer models though so either of those options should treat your niece well I would think :)

edit: personally I'd spend the few extra $ for the Lenovo Astra listed just for the solidstate memory alone; I can't stand how slow eMMC memory drives are, makes the system crawl IMO

I never owned anything Samsung except for their SSD and a BlueRay Player.

Been busy. Anyway, that Lenovo does look good. Little pricy, but yes, it does have a little extra parts. Not just 1 or 2 USB 2/3 ports.