• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Win 10 Activation Problems

Brandon H    2,695

@derekaw have you tried calling and speaking to Microsoft Activation Support yet as I have suggested?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/activate-windows-8-by-phone

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/activate-windows-10-license-microsoft-support/

They are usually very useful for this kind of thing and will often reactivate the key for use without much trouble. If the key is truly blacklisted they would let you know this as well I believe.

If Microsoft Activation Support is unable to assist then unfortunately your only option would be to purchase a new key from a reliable retailer.

SoCalRox    242

I would recommend creating a virgin VM with activated Win 10 and then using a copy of this VM to play with. Always using a copy keeps you from having to reactivate it.

derekaw    1,706
2 hours ago, Brandon H said:

@derekaw have you tried calling and speaking to Microsoft Activation Support yet as I have suggested?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/activate-windows-8-by-phone

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/activate-windows-10-license-microsoft-support/

They are usually very useful for this kind of thing and will often reactivate the key for use without much trouble. If the key is truly blacklisted they would let you know this as well I believe.

If Microsoft Activation Support is unable to assist then unfortunately your only option would be to purchase a new key from a reliable retailer.

Thanks, I did hear you and I did think about it but I had two attempts and they were both bad experiences with people who seemed very disinterested and not willing to help or understand. Then I found my AUD11.22 licence and decided spending that money was a better use of my time than calling MS again.

I do have a digital licence recorded against my account. 

• Like 1

ZakO    448

If you run:

slmgr /dli

It'll show you if you have a retail key or MAK (VOLUME_MAK) key. If you buy a VOLUME_MAK key chances are at some point in the future (maybe not for years, but eventually) it'll get revoked because they're not supposed to be sold/resold. If this happens Microsoft won't reactivate it for you because it wasn't a legitimately obtained key in the first place, even if you paid for it. 

• Like 1

derekaw    1,706

Great, I’ll look, interesting. 

Now that my licence is associated with my MSA does that mean that I can create new VMs from scratch and they will automatically and always activate when I log in? I’m assuming they will activate because it’s always the same ‘hardware’?

adrynalyne    11,202
3 hours ago, derekaw said:

Great, I’ll look, interesting. 

Now that my licence is associated with my MSA does that mean that I can create new VMs from scratch and they will automatically and always activate when I log in? I’m assuming they will activate because it’s always the same ‘hardware’?

No. 

New VMs are new “hardware”. 

derekaw    1,706

I think this is good

Win Licence.PNG

+DevTech    1,510
On 8/26/2018 at 2:18 AM, derekaw said:

Considering I like tinkering with Windows VM's and blowing them away and starting from scratch with a new/the latest .iso which Windows licence is best for me? Or could a new cheap Windows Licence I find via the Amazon Store keep a digital key with my MSA and meet my needs? 

For tinkering purposes and stuff like making a dozen VMs in a cluster etc, there is the normal Windows Enterprise evaluation download which is good for 90 days

Downloading a fresh Windows Pro from Microsoft will go 30 days before needing activation and can be rearmed 3 more times at the end of the 30 day interval to get 120 days. That's good for some tinkering...

Your original offer from Acer or other OEM would be an OEM key good for a single machine and with an unknown small number of activations on that exact config.

A standard Retail license will also have a limited number of "automatic" activations (4 to 10 perhaps) but because it is Retail, will get a lot of additional activations via Microsoft Support.

A MAK key is for enterprise use and in theory you should not be able to obtain one, and it will have an EXACT number of activations. A key with a large number of activations are often sold on the Internet to individuals on the idea that most people would only use it once so the seller can get a tidy profit on a large number of sales, but Microsoft is always deactivating those when they are detected.

It is all rather simple when you understand it and also understand there is no such thing as a "VM Key" which is a sort of mental trap easy to fall into when playing with VMs because they sure as heck don't feel like a real computer that needs activation! Use the 30 day to 120 day limit when playing with VMs and only activate when you have a config you want to keep.

With a Retail key you can also "Deactivate" Windows so that the key is reusable somewhere else. Also generally as an unwritten rule of thumb you can get away with somewhere up to 4 activations on different machines with a Retail key without any questions or issues, which most people consider a violation of sorts but I think is practically a gray area if activating VMs for an individual playing with his own computer...

The "Digital Entitlement" option tied to a Microsoft Account adds wrinkles and variations...