• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Is DDR4-3200 really necessary for a computer strictly made for homeschool?

Recommended Posts

Mockingbird    2,440
1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

3-5 years down the road, when that 10 dollar PSU dies....I imagine that DDR4-3200 will be quite useful.

Are you the Oracle?

 

What's the winning numbers for the next Mega Millions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    9,907
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

Are you the Oracle?

 

What's the winning numbers for the next Mega Millions?

A wise buyer plans for the worst. A foolish one buys upgrades that won't ever be noticed.

I can tell you this, one thing your review doesn't go through is longevity (they never do).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,440
4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

A wise buyer plans for the worst. A foolish one buys upgrades that won't ever be noticed.

I can tell you this, one thing your review doesn't go through is longevity (they never do).

I buy what is appropriate.

 

If I was buying a Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, I would buy a better quality power supply to power it.

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Umm, we all said it didn't so....

So you are wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    9,907
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I buy what is appropriate.

 

If I was buying a Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, I would buy a better quality power supply to power it.

So you are wrong.

You buy what is appropriate? DDR4-3200 is *not* appropriate here as much as a better power supply. So are you purposely misleading others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    1,257
2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I buy what is appropriate.

 

If I was buying a Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, I would buy a better quality power supply to power it.

 

12 hours ago, SirWeathers said:

A couple of weeks before the new school year, My mom's computer she was using to homeschool my younger sister decided to crap out, so we have to build a new computer for this purpose.

 

So I built up a part list and I am overall happy with the parts I chose, except for the memory. DDR4-3200 Memory for a computer that's only going to be used for school seems very overkill to me. My gaming/streaming rig that I recently built has DDR4-3000, and it works flawlessly for 1080p 60FPS streaming.

 

Here's the part list that I would like to have some help editing to fit more in the lines of what a computer strictly made for school would be.

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dk27GG

1. Mockingbird's suggestion of a Super Flower is very appropriate - they literally make the best power supplies and are usually only used in the very top end EVGA units.

 

2. The OP has done the usual mess of NOT defining what he means by "computer made strictly for school" and everyone has pitched in to argue of hardware specs without any concern about Suitability To Task

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,529
3 minutes ago, DevTech said:

 

1. Mockingbird's suggestion of a Super Flower is very appropriate - they literally make the best power supplies and are usually only used in the very top end EVGA units.

 

2. The OP has done the usual mess of NOT defining what he means by "computer made strictly for school" and everyone has pitched in to argue of hardware specs without any concern about Suitability To Task

Well, I wouldn't buy a $10 PSU any day. No matter how good they are.

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

Maybe Trump has the whole world polarized, cranky and on edge but the best remedy is that we all dig deep and pull out extra compassion and empathy for others?

 

That is always a possibility...

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Let me tell you that when look into your mirror, it is not me who is in your mirror.

Mhm. You're the problem, not me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    1,257

 Suitability To Task:

 

1. "computer made strictly for school" - none of the parts work: Computer Repair School

 

2. "computer made strictly for school" - a large box of scrap computer parts and a welding torch: Art School

 

3. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 2080: AI GPU Machine Learning School

 

4. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 1080: Computer Game Design School

 

5. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 80" 4K Touch screen: User Interaction School

 

6. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 80" 4K Touch screen, 1080 Ti GPU: Explore the World of Interactive Online Education and Learn Faster than Anyone Else School

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    9,907
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, DevTech said:

 

1. Mockingbird's suggestion of a Super Flower is very appropriate - they literally make the best power supplies and are usually only used in the very top end EVGA units.

 

2. The OP has done the usual mess of NOT defining what he means by "computer made strictly for school" and everyone has pitched in to argue of hardware specs without any concern about Suitability To Task

There is a reason its being sold for 10 bucks...

It makes more sense to buy a better PSU with the money saved from not using DDR4-3200, be it for longevity or future upgrades.

 

OP buys this cheap PSU and decides later to upgrade, and finds out the PSU isn't sufficient and more money has to be spent.

 

450w Bronze.....not a good idea, no matter who it is made by.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,529
1 minute ago, DevTech said:

 Suitability To Task:

 

1. "computer made strictly for school" - none of the parts work: Computer Repair School

 

2. "computer made strictly for school" - a large box of scrap computer parts and a welding torch: Art School

 

3. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 2080: AI GPU Machine Learning School

 

4. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 1080: Computer Game Design School

 

5. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 80" 4K Touch screen: User Interaction School

 

6. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 80" 4K Touch screen, 1080 Ti GPU: Explore the World of Interactive Online Education and Learn Faster than Anyone Else School

 

 

 

Well, if it is for home schooling, I would bet Office being the biggest thing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    9,907
4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

 Suitability To Task:

 

1. "computer made strictly for school" - none of the parts work: Computer Repair School

 

2. "computer made strictly for school" - a large box of scrap computer parts and a welding torch: Art School

 

3. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 2080: AI GPU Machine Learning School

 

4. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 1080: Computer Game Design School

 

5. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 80" 4K Touch screen: User Interaction School

 

6. "computer made strictly for school" - anything with a 80" 4K Touch screen, 1080 Ti GPU: Explore the World of Interactive Online Education and Learn Faster than Anyone Else School

 

 

 

You read wayyyy too much into things. Sometimes a duck is just a duck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,440
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

There is a reason its being sold for 10 bucks...

It makes more sense to buy a better PSU with the money saved from not using DDR4-3200, be it for longevity or future upgrades.

 

OP buys this cheap PSU and decides later to upgrade, and finds out the PSU isn't sufficient and more money has to be spent.

 

450w Bronze.....not a good idea, no matter who it is made by.

 

 

You are still pretending that all $10 power supply are the same.

 

Just because a lot of $10 power supply are of very poor quality doesn't mean that they all are.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

So far, you have completely avoided taking about why you think the EVGA 450 BT is a bad power supply.

 

Instead, you keep restating the same fallacy, over and over again, that all $10 power supply must be bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    1,257
3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, if it is for home schooling, I would bet Office being the biggest thing...

Home schooling covers a very broad range of philosophies and techniques ranging from "simple mirror or public school grade-based curriculum" which duplicates a lot of the public school design problems to full on Unschooling designed to maximize human potential. 

 

Maximizing human potential would suggest as powerful a computer as any working professional would use...

 

A detailed list of tasks the computer will be used for is the most appropriate way, as always, to determine hardware suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    9,907
2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

You are still pretending that all $10 power supply are the same.

 

Just because a lot of $10 power supply are of very poor quality doesn't mean that they all are.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

So far, you have completely avoided taking about why you think the EVGA 450 BT is a bad power supply.

 

Instead, you keep restating the same fallacy, over and over again, that all $10 power supply must be bad.

A 450W Bronze PSU is a bad choice, regardless of who makes it. It is purely idiotic to choose that in order to run DDR4-3200 at the same price.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,440
Just now, adrynalyne said:

A 450W Bronze PSU is a bad choice, regardless of who makes it. It is purely idiotic to choose that in order to run DDR4-3200 at the same price.

 

 

And what's wrong with it, exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    1,257
7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

You read wayyyy too much into things. Sometimes a duck is just a duck.

A detailed list of tasks the computer will be used for is the most appropriate way, as always, to determine hardware suggestions.

 

Otherwise, I might as well equip my duck with a welding torch, which to me is more entertaining than high school locker room trash talking that others seem to find entertaining... (although I guess it fits with the School Theme)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slamfire92    1,658

Don't buy a cheap PSU. You'll pay later when the POS dies and takes your components with it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,440
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Don't buy a cheap PSU. You'll pay later when the POS dies and takes your components with it.

Again, what is wrong with the EVGA 450 BT?

 

"It's cheap so it must be bad" is NOT a valid argument.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    9,907
2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

And what's wrong with it, exactly?

Seriously? Despite 450W limiting upgrades, it is bronze certified, making it much less efficient.

At 10 bucks, corners are cut somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,529
2 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Don't buy a cheap PSU. You'll pay later when the POS dies and takes your components with it.

That is what we are trying to hit his head with, but he keeps "ducking"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    9,907
Just now, Mockingbird said:

Again, what is wrong with the EVGA 450 BT?

 

"It's cheap so it must be bad" is NOT a valid argument.

DDR4-3200 is faster, therefore it must be better isn't valid either, but its an argument you made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slamfire92    1,658
Just now, Mockingbird said:

Again, what is wrong with the EVGA 450 BT again?

 

"It's cheap so it must be bad" is NOT a valid argument.

If its $10, you're going to get what you pay for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,440
Just now, slamfire92 said:

If its $10, you're going to get what you pay for.

Oh, so if something is more expensive, it must be better, right?

 

Another fallacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    1,257
2 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Don't buy a cheap PSU. You'll pay later when the POS dies and takes your components with it.

If the computer is never equipped with a Mind Enhancing Device for Learning - i.e. an 1080 ti, then a Super Flower 450 is NEVER going to die and it will power a simple nothingness type computer just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,440
3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Seriously? Despite 450W limiting upgrades, it is bronze certified, making it much less efficient.

At 10 bucks, corners are cut somewhere.

NVIDIA recommends a 400W power supply for a PC with Geforce GTX 1060

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,529
1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

Oh, so if something is more expensive, it must be better, right?

 

Another fallacy

Umm, no. He never said that..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.