MS-09 leak on ISS

Soyuz MS-09 Leak (29th of August, 2018)

Though my health has prevented much participation of late, I thought I would start popping in once in awhile to cover topics of interest where I feel clarification may be helpful. Hopefully, someone may find it of interest...but as usual, I can be blunt at times.

Buckle up....

The leak was first reported on the 30th of August via the livestream. The leak was actually found the day before and minor enough to let the crew sleep.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2018/08/30/international-space-station-status/

Soyuz MS details...
http://spaceflight101.com/spacecraft/soyuz-ms/

iss_08-22-18.thumb.jpg.b1b2640dabef1eb4a1d8d11fc2a1a5a9.jpg

4642053_orig.thumb.jpg.404d4baf2f74db2611444e0ded9e19fc.jpg

149186_orig.thumb.jpg.3389da415f75cdfd12f06b01eb0b9aa6.jpg

Of note...

"The Orbital Module is located on top of the two other sections of Soyuz. It is 2.98 meters long and 2.26 meters in diameter. It has a total mass of 1,300 Kilograms and offers a habitable volume of 5m³. During Ascent, the Orbital module is sealed from the Entry Module by closing and latching the inner hatch. Once in Orbit, the crew opens the hatch and can use the BO, as the Orbital Module is also known, as habitable module. It is used to carry cargo and equipment to space and houses equipment required to allow the crew to live in space.

BO contains a toilet and communication equipment. On the top side of the section is the docking assembly of the Spacecraft that features navigation antenna systems and the actual docking port with docking probe and associated lights and sensors. The Docking Interface features the KURS hardware that is used for the automatic rendezvous procedure. Also, the docking interface includes electrical and communications systems connectors for power transfer from ISS and communication relay.

A side hatch on the module allows crews to enter the capsule at the launch pad and during pre-flight operations. The Life Support System can support the crew for 30 person days providing Oxygen Generation and Carbon Dioxide Scrubbing Capabilities. Also, the atmosphere aboard the Soyuz can be topped up with Nitrogen from storage tanks to keep the capsule pressurized."

http://spaceflight101.com/spacecraft/soyuz-ms/

MS-09 can also be sealed from the ISS completely via the hatch.

WARNING......I have removed the top of an aerosol can and am vigorously spraying the entire area with "drama removal spray"

The following will be my "take" on the matter pending pertinent updates in the future. 

1) Construction initial planning for an MS is approximately 2 years...These are HSF units, not cargo.

2) The OM and ISM modules are jettisoned prior to re-entry. The crew have suits with consumables.

3) Please take the online "Hollywood" decompression garbage elsewhere. The ISS is a rigid multilayer and braced structure...not tinfoil. This discussion has been through the treadmill by experts who worked on the possible issues for NASA long ago. If we had a hole the size of your pinky...the escaping cabin atmosphere would be extremely noisy but the turbulence will assist at moderating release on a rigid structure. You will have ample time to go to the kitchen, make a sandwich, sit down and design on a napkin, decide on the color of "t" shirt to wear, then eventually get around to the repair, while still breathing.

My "take" until further data becomes available....

During construction, a newbie made a mistake. A hole was drilled and breached the MMOD panel. The mistake was plugged and may or may not have been caught during visual system checks but would have passed a pressurization test because it was sealed. The plug worked for launch and for several months on station. A commission has been formed for investigation and I would hazard to guess that people will loose there job over this quality issue later...

A few months later, the "plug" pops out and the ultrasonic sensor picks up the noise and pressure sensors monitor the escape. The leak is very small and the crew is allowed to sleep and get to it in the morning.

Major point here. This is a multi country and multi company venture. Each owns its own craft and decides the best approach for "its" craft along with consultation...If this was a SpaceX craft, SpaceX engineers decide the best approach for the system and NASA/Partners will probably be in agreement as they are professionals. The commander has authority but generally the desk jockeys will research and prescribe methods in conjunction with vendors. If it is an extreme, immediate emergency, then the commander decides...this is not one of those situations, by a long shot and should have been quietly orchestrated in mission control, off audible as well.

The leak is investigated, found and a temporary/final repair decided on and then done...not a big issue and can be repaired to last a few months. The leak gets fixed right away...not wait for a 1000 page transcript and a 12 desk planetary video conference effort...its a bloody leak. Realistic worst case is that 3 crew go home a bit early. There is ample time to also decide if an EVA would be of benefit.

This part I will state from experience in dangerous remote locations...One must remain Calm, Cool, and Collected at all times...no exceptions to this.

The escape of this situation online (already politically charged), with negligible/erroneous data, has done a disservice to the ISS and its partners.

For me, personally...We have had many fine commanders on the ISS, BUT...The present commander will be face palming himself long into the future due to a few remarks he will wish he never made public...

End of the day...Quality issues rear again but this one will get action promptly. This whole episode is an almostnothingburger made into a drama festival which will play for awhile longer....nicely done social media.
//

Feel free to disagree, create your own story or continue the drivel....you know where I stand.

Draggendrop

complimentary public service announcement....

Dk0zosdXcAEZJTt.thumb.jpg.407d3d269131b79f7c2026381d99442b.jpg

First: WELCOME BACK!!!

Agree to a point, and that is that the Russian QA/QC problems, fermented potato juice fuelled or otherwise, have made it to their crewed program.

• Like 2

DD! YAAAAAAAAaAAAaAAYY!!

Welcome back, buddy. We missed ya. :yes: Hope you're doing okay.

Thanks for the post. Agree with you on multiple points, and the need for calm. I'm a bit guilty of the conjecture thing too.

As for Cmdr. Faustel ... he's going to have a lot of questions to answer during his debrief. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

• Like 2

DD!! Welcome back dude! We were all worried as hell about you!! Great to see you back! :D 

I agree too, this leak is nothing but a molehill turned into a mountain by a bunch of social media drama queens with the collective IQ of a dropped spanner.

Edited by FloatingFatMan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

DD!! Welcome back dude! We were all worried as hell about you!! Great to see you back! :D 

I agree too, this leak is nothing but a molehill turned into a mountain by a bunch of social media drama queens with the collective IQ of a dropped spanner.

Thank you for your kind words...it put a smile on my face this morning.    ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beittil said:

It get's worse :X

This situation is being followed by many....but needs context between what is happening right now on station...and the total mess up unfolding at Roscosmos.

Any violation of QA/QC, in any "human" transportation process is of the most egregious. For this to happen in HSF is off the scale. LOC or LOM is what the entire system is built around to prevent.

The image of the "area in question" was more than obvious....angled drill entry and a mess of chuck skip marks. As, above, it will probably come down to a newbie, untrained worker or one under the influence. What is really disturbing is that the checks and balances of the process were.....not even present.

Many unverified sources are stating the same but one must wait for the official statement from the partners.

The repercussions of this will set new bench marks...to the point that this may even change CC demo's to actual missions for both vendors.

I have not seen any new station info for the last 24 hours, so assume that, as above in my OP, the situation remains the same....minor leak under control.

The exact opposite is in the process down here.....we are going to have fur flying everywhere..... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

This is basically another "part hammered in upside down" incident (though thankfully not as bad!)... Roscosmos really need to sort their shizzle out...

I am thinking that this egregious QA/QC incident may set a new watermark...ie ... pre and post "skippy drill dude" era. Real change will be forced.

1 minute ago, Draggendrop said:

I am thinking that this egregious QA/QC incident may set a new watermark...ie ... pre and post "skippy drill dude" era. Real change will be forced.

I dunno.... Personally I think stuff like this is going to keep happening until there's a headline tragedy. :( 

Mind you, I'm a cynical old fart who always expects the worst! ;)

11 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I dunno.... Personally I think stuff like this is going to keep happening until there's a headline tragedy. :( 

Mind you, I'm a cynical old fart who always expects the worst! ;)

It is usually what it takes and you are right. I am generally on the naive side and it takes others to give me a jolt once in a while.. Fingers crossed for this change though, we need it.

//edit.....You are actually in possession of a keen sense of reality...never sell yourself short. 

Edited by Draggendrop
old age
  • Like 2

Few extra's for updates...

"The hole has been repaired to the point it's no longer a problem (the crew was never in any risk). However, the implications are obvious. I don't have any new info and NASA is yet to react, but that's where things stand today."  ChrisB NSF....(having posting issues here)

"ISS Leak summary: First thought was MMOD strike. Then NASA released pics. Lots of people: "Hmmm, doesn't look like MMOD". NASA deleted the photos. Top Russian news site RIA NOVOSTI reported - via sources but apparently confirmed by Mr. Rogozin - it was a drill hole." ChrisB NSF

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1036673215999950848

DmL_1ziXcAQ4uC6.thumb.jpg.a4d77d3ac993a4371f605c728bf3f107.jpg

image that was pulled...

Video that was pulled...to large for me to upload...near the end of the 1 min 16 sec  segment.

https://streamable.com/hqzww

or

https://twitter.com/Noemi_Cogoni/status/1035557730956791808

When this makes it into the MSM the poo's gonna hit the fan WRT US & partner astronauts flying Soyuz.  ASAP is one thing, a piece on 60 Minutes another.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DocM said:

When this makes it int the MSM the poo's gonna hit the fan WRT US & partner astronauts flying Soyuz.  ASAP is one thing, a piece on 60 Minutes another.

I am afraid this one is not stoppable now....let loose the kracken.... the "well informed and responsible social media"  /s

A few places will get it right...the rest....spin time...

?

15 minutes ago, Jim K said:

What were they drilling for (as in...what was suppose to go in the hole).

Such a weird incident.

This was probably done in error on the site....real big error.

I will not post rumour lightly...but I have just read a really botched up comment from Rogozin where he admitted a drill hole, but then passed the buck stating that they did not know if done on the ground or at station.   That is a major "no no" to state....Now we will be investigating if the Russian crew had been assigned tasks...which I doubt as they are professional....passing the buck or implications toward an astronaut will not be appreciated by those on the ISS. Shifting blame to lessen repercussions is another storm unleashed within Roscosmos.....I expect this Rogozin comment to be deleted.

Here is a news clip...translate it at source...

Rogozin: the siding of the "Union" could drill into space

MOSCOW, September 3 (Itar-Tass) - RIA Novosti. The Roskosmos Commission checks the version of the deliberate impact of a drill on the Soyuz ship's cladding, in which an air leak was discovered, during production or in space, said Dmitry Rogozin, head of Roskosmos.

РИА Новости https://ria.ru/space/20180903/1527758925.html

Bit of a silly read...

"The Earth version is being checked, but there is another version that we do not dismiss: deliberate impact in space." There are several attempts to influence the drill, "he stressed.

РИА Новости https://ria.ru/space/20180903/1527758925.html

have at her...

Edited by Draggendrop
new data

32 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

DmL_1ziXcAQ4uC6.thumb.jpg.a4d77d3ac993a4371f605c728bf3f107.jpg

image that was pulled...

Oh man, that is a sloppy assed piece of drilling... There's drill marks all over the place! Was the guy drinking on the job maybe?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

This was probably done in error on the site....real big error.

I will not post rumour lightly...but I have just read a really botched up comment from Rogozin where he admitted a drill hole, but then passed the buck stating that they did not know if done on the ground or at station.   That is a major "no no" to state....Now we will be investigating if the Russian crew had been assigned tasks...which I doubt as they are professional....passing the buck or implications toward an astronaut will not be appreciated by those on the ISS. Shifting blame to lessen repercussions is another storm unleashed within Roscosmos.....I expect this Rogozin comment to be deleted.

Here is a news clip...translate it at source...

Rogozin: the siding of the "Union" could drill into space

Bit of a silly read...

have at her...

Wait, so Rogozin is saying that someone on station could have done this?  I would find this a bit hard to believe since .. well they are professionals and pretty much have their days planned out.

If they need someone to drill ... they can send me up.  I guarantee I can do a better job than that.  :) 

Anyway, my money is it happened on earth and made its way through a shoddy QA/QC program.  Will be curious to read NASA's findings about all of this....since an American went up on that spacecraft.  

• Like 1

Pretty much as stated...

ISS/MS-09    minor leak...handled

QA/QC fallout....massive

introduce Rogozin....can't keep his mouth closed (aka Trampoline)....has now ticked off the cosmonaut core for absolutely no reason....

I couldn't make this up if I tried.

RIA Novosti...

"The reason for the appearance of a hole in the inner case of the domestic compartment of the Soyuz MS-09 ship has been installed on the Earth." He was responsible for negligence, "the source said.

According to another source, the employee, most likely, after he realized the error, sealed the crack with special glue, so it was not detected during the test of the spacecraft on the tightness before launching and did not make itself felt the first two months of the orbital flight.

"However, in the future, the glue dried and was squeezed out, opening the hole," - said the second interlocutor.

4 hours ago, DocM said:

Tried the RIS Novosti link and it now 404's ?

Oops....now it's back but won't translate.

Just as I expected...They pulled the article, did an edit to any reference to"in orbit", and resubmitted.

The info is wide spread now.

Rogozin just did a major blunder.....an erosion of trust from just about any department that he is involved in. If he still has his job in a few months, it will be a stamp of the direction in which Roscosmos is heading.