• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

A single RTX 2080 or two GTX 1080 TI in SLI?

Cyber Akuma    1

Right now, I have a system that is starting to show it's age a bit... though still works fine for the vast majority of games (especially if I don't attempt to max out the settings on the newer ones).

I built it late 2012/early 2013, and it's a i7 3770k (sadly stock clocks as the overclock failed) with two GTX 670s with a very minimal overclock in SLI. The CPU while slightly showing it's age is still more than enough for just about every game out there, the GPUs though are showing their age far more. Thanks to the whole cryptocurrency nonsense newer GPUs were out of my price range for a while.... plus I wanted to wait until a single GPU was powerful enough to outperform both my GPUs combined, since usually I try to buy one top-end GPU and then later add another cheap for SLI when they are older and cheaper to boost performance... rinse and repeat for when the next single card can outperform a SLI setup. 

Anyway, I might have to put a stop to that now. I mean, I am impressed with the RTX cards, and while I understand what a giant deal it is to do real-time raytracing.... similar to PhysX and 3D Vision and all those other technologies I doubt it will be adapted outside of a handful of games for a while, likely not until at least one or two more generations of cards. 

I was reading that the RTX 2080 has a 35% performance increase over the 1080, which honestly is impressive.... but I noticed that used GTX 1080 TI cards are going for $400-500. Considering I could buy two GTX 1080 cards for less than a single RTX 2080 (assuming they don't go the same overpriced route as 1080s did when they were current thanks to cryptomining) would it just be a better idea to go that route? 

First of all, yes, I realize that not every game supports SLI, but from my understanding about 70-80%, if not more, do. And the ones that don't will still work as a single card. 

I also realize that I will not have the whole raytracing feature using GTX cards instead of RTX (and honestly, as much as I don't think it will take off for a while.... I do still want that feature and am not sure if I should stick with a GTX because of that).

And finally, due to having many other cards in my system, I pretty much NEED to get the "blower" style cards that have a single fan at the end, since a card with a fan at the beginning or middle would be blocked by the other cards below it. This severely limits my choices as most cards are a multi-can setup, and even among the blowers most of them have a separate radiator which I don't have room to mount (so I would need to get cards that ONLY have a single fan at the end and nothing else), I am not even sure if the RTX 2080 would be available in that format. I also generally tend to prefer EVGA cards, I know they had a blower style like that for the GTX 1080 Ti, not so sure if they will do that for the RTX cards. 

Oh, and one more thing, I doubt it but I figured it might be good to ask anyway. Would my older CPU be a bottleneck for those cards?

Mockingbird    2,413

Get one Geforce GTX 1080 Ti

From the leaked 3DMark benchmark that I have seen, the Geforce RTX 2080 is slightly faster than the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, but slower than the Titan Xp.

Mindovermaster    1,471
1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

Get one Geforce GTX 1080 Ti

From the leaked 3DMark benchmark that I have seen, the Geforce RTX 2080 is slightly faster than the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, but slower than the Titan Xp.

Well, pretty much, like duh, It's slower than the Titan, but...

Anyway, like he said, get one 1080 Ti.

Don't waste your money on extra stuff that you will really not have a use for. Use that extra money for an SSD or RAM upgrade.

Cyber Akuma    1
12 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Don't waste your money on extra stuff that you will really not have a use for. Use that extra money for an SSD or RAM upgrade.

I already have two 1TB SSDs in RAID0 and 32GB of RAM, there is nothing else there TO upgrade.

Don't even some of the latest games like FFXV or Monster Hunter World support SLI? A lot of people are quick to call it "dead" but don't the vast majority of games support it and many new games still do?

dangel777    12

Option 2:  Go for a single 2080ti.  I'm upgrading from 2 x 1080 in SLI to this - it's not clear yet hot NVLINK will work/perform but this replaces SLI.  Does SLI work?  Yes, and quite well for things that support it but there are some oddities - ubisoft for example doesn't support in in AC Origins but does in Far Cry 5.  I've had good luck with SLI over the years but i'm trying (for the first time in a long time) the single card solution (at least initially I may go for another 2080ti later).

Eternal Tempest    665

Wasn't the big thing with the new 2080 card being ray-tracing?

If so, I bet the "50% faster then the 1080 ti" remarks from nvidia apply to only a initial handful of games that support ray-tracing.

Not only that, but 50% compared to what? 1080p, 4k, etc.

+Zagadka    3,412

I would be wary of pre-ordering a card like that, especially one touting its advantage in a new tech. We should be getting a lot more benchmarks in the coming weeks.

+Odom    175

At the moment you don't have many games that support Ray-Tracing. I think I remember Nvidia listing 6 or something close to that.

Also, the performance of the 2080 over 1080 Ti was mentioned to be around 20%, I don't recall having read much about 2080 Ti. On top of that, most of these numbers come from Nvidia itself, so I wouldn't trust them that much. I'd rather wait until tech sites get their samples and start taking the cards through their paces. A quick search provided this. Most articles I saw always mention "alleged".

As to SLI, dunno, never used it. What I read in the forums is that when it works you can get quite a performance boost, but it's not like you get double the power (though you spend double the power ;-)), too often you have to fiddle a lot with SLI to get it to work. My advice would be to wait for some independent results. Then you can get a 2080 Ti, and if you want more, you can always get a second.

+Anarkii    2,174

I would wait until Digital Foundry do a tech analysis on the card itself in the coming months. They would tear it apart and show the results with games old and new put through their paces. 
If you havent already, check out previous stuff they have done on YouTube, the 1080ti in sli vs a 1080 and other cards for example.

• Like 1

Cyber Akuma    1

Seems I was misinformed in that there were reliable benchmarks already, which is why I asked about this. I guess not yet.

xendrome    5,047

Single RTX 2080 since it will cover all apps/games, SLI on 1080's is iffy and only fully supported on a few games, it's a waste of another 1080 card IMHO.

Jim K    10,700

I'm not sure you'll be seeing reliable benchmarks until around the 20th.  Seems like pretty much everything right now is a "leak" or a "rumor"...aside from nvidia's released "benchmark."  :)

I would personally just wait until the reviews come out from your favorite reviewers.  Seems like a lot of the talk is about ray-tracing ... and not so much about performance improvements over the 10xx series. 

Either way, I wouldn't do SLI.  If you're doing around 1080p gaming (on your current setup) ... you probably will get better bang for the buck out of one of those $400-$500 1080ti.

abhishady    0

Go for 1080ti in sli best powerful and stable than 2080, I have my Ant PC Workstation with 1080 Ti in SLI Mode coupled with i7 8700k and it is quite a performer! 

xendrome    5,047
1 hour ago, abhishady said:

Go for 1080ti in sli best powerful and stable than 2080, I have my Ant PC Workstation with 1080 Ti in SLI Mode coupled with i7 8700k and it is quite a performer! 

How can you say SLI is more stable then a single 2080? 1: SLI isn't stable most of the time in a lot of games, when it works. 2: 2080s aren't out yet, so are you implying there is some hardware/driver defect for this unreleased product?

Steven P.    10,913

I will just leave this here:

41435181_10156402437391013_8253153862584631296_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4