Do I need an ADSL modem or a Fibre/VSDL modem?

I am currently with BT Infinity, who provide us with a BT Smart Hub.

I am told it's a "consolidated ADSL, ADSL2+, VSDL modem and router".

I am considering replacing it with my own, higher quality unit.

Within Ebuyer's Network & Storage > Wireless category, there are two that appear relevant to me:

1. Routers - ADSL (23 items)
  2. Routers - Fibre / VDSL (8 items)

Which do I need?

a

4 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

I am currently with BT Infinity, who provide us with a BT Smart Hub.

I am told it's a "consolidated ADSL, ADSL2+, VSDL modem and router".

I am considering replacing it with my own.

Within Ebuyer's Network & Storage > Wireless category, there are two that appear relevant to me:

1. Routers - ADSL (23 items)
  2. Routers - Fibre / VDSL (8 items)

Which do I need?

If you have an FTTC connection (Fibre to the cabinet) then you will require a VDSL modem/router

Yes you need a VSDL modem, so something like the Draytek Vigor 130: https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

Or you could go for a Openreach VSDL modem which they used to give out before BT launched the integrated Modem/Router HomeHub.  There are lots on eBay and for cheap: https://bit.ly/2p8EWdN

If you have a broadband connection advertised as upto 38mb or upto 76mb you have FTTC which uses VDSL technology.

Openreach did have their own modems when FTTC started rolling - but this is quite old technology now. Almost all the ISP provided ones have a better performing modem inside it (only the modem aspect here, not the overall router capability).

Generally, all the VDSL modems will work on both VDSL and ADSL so you guarantee future compatibility going down that path.