Need help choosing a laptop

My wife wants a laptop that she can use to browse the web and play games like the Sims on it, she found this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G9R3X22/ on Amazon, but I really do not know anything about Laptop's. I do not think the CPU matters, just looking for a decent machine.

Lenovo Ideapads suck. The Thinkpads are loads better.

Can she play the Sims on a chromebook? Sims don't use that much CPU/GPU performance to play.

Unless you need an ultra light or extra long battery runtime, try and find something with discrete graphics.  It adds years to the lifetime of the laptop.

22 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Unless you need an ultra light or extra long battery runtime, try and find something with discrete graphics.  It adds years to the lifetime of the laptop.

Can you suggest a few that would work?

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Lenovo Ideapads suck. The Thinkpads are loads better.

Can she play the Sims on a chromebook? Sims don't use that much CPU/GPU performance to play.

The Sims needs Windows, therefore a Chromebook would not work.

21 minutes ago, Jim K said:

What's the most you're wanting to spend?

I think the $300 is a good range, but might be able to go up a bit more.

$300? Ignore my advice about graphics.  I was thinking more in the $800 range. It sounds like you want something more lightweight. I've had good luck with the HP Pavilion line. I have one from 2010 that still works. I also like their Envy line, which is what I've been using since 2013.

Edited by Joe User

1 hour ago, Joe User said:

$300? Ignore my advice about graphics.  I was thinking more in the $800 range. It sounds like you want something more lightweight. I've had good luck with the HP Pavilion line. I have one from 2010 that still works. I also like their Envy line, which is what I've been using since 2013.

I have no intentions of spending $800 for a laptop when she has a perfectly good desktop that cost allot! Again I have no idea what I'm looking for with a laptop, her only requirements were that it be able to play The Sims, and browse the web, and have a word processor. Considering I am the one who will be footing the bill, I do not want to spend a bunch!

43 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Not sure if you can do much better for that particular price point.  Not sure about gaming though ... not with the Intel 600.

CPU is not important, I know that gaming and laptops do not go hand in hand unless you start spending $2000 or more for Alienwares (which is never going to happen! :))

I can suggest a Lenovo T430

https://refurbees.com/collections/laptop/products/254-376-without-code-tp25-lenovo-thinkpad-t430-core-i5-windows-10-home-64-bit-128gb-ssd-8gb-ram-free-shipping-254-delivered

Right up your alley. I have ordered from this company before. :) (bought the X1 carbon from there ;) )

23 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I can suggest a Lenovo T430

https://refurbees.com/collections/laptop/products/254-376-without-code-tp25-lenovo-thinkpad-t430-core-i5-windows-10-home-64-bit-128gb-ssd-8gb-ram-free-shipping-254-delivered

Right up your alley. I have ordered from this company before. :) (bought the X1 carbon from there ;) )

That looks good, now to order it and not tell her it's a refurb (she thinks refurb = junk, despite my trying to explain it to her...)

@Mindovermaster, What is the issue with the Lenovo Ideapads? I would just like to know so when I talk to my wife about the computer again I can tell her why the one she was looking at is not a good choice.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Ideapads are consumer level. But ThinkPads are business laptop/desktops. So business are better.

Do whatever you want. ;)

and this is true of a lot of laptop OEMs now a days; they cut corners on their consumer level laptops making them have random issues and not last as long. I always suggest aiming for the business level laptops anymore for this reason; just better build quality overall.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have no intentions of spending $800 for a laptop when she has a perfectly good desktop that cost allot! Again I have no idea what I'm looking for with a laptop, her only requirements were that it be able to play The Sims, and browse the web, and have a word processor. Considering I am the one who will be footing the bill, I do not want to spend a bunch!

CPU is not important, I know that gaming and laptops do not go hand in hand unless you start spending $2000 or more for Alienwares (which is never going to happen! :))

Fair enough, I recommend looking at refurbs as well.  Try and get something still in production or support, so you won't have any issues with security updates.

If by The Sims you mean The Sims 4, it will run on pretty much any Windows laptop you can get your hands on. I can vouch for the reliability of Lenovo laptops - I bought my Ideapad 5 years ago for very little money and it's still working fine with all original hardware. It could run The Sims 4 as well. So I'm sure you'll be fine with an Ideapad or a ThinkPad. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 10:02 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

That looks good, now to order it and not tell her it's a refurb (she thinks refurb = junk, despite my trying to explain it to her...)

Well I showed her the laptop and even told her it was refurb, but she was OK with it! She is willing to go with it, >$400 is not bad for a laptop!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Well I showed her the laptop and even told her it was refurb, but she was OK with it! She is willing to go with it, >$400 is not bad for a laptop!

:D Good job! Hope she's happy!