• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

OTT with the headers?

PsYcHoKiLLa    2,170

Don't you think Neowin is going a bit OTT with all the headers and ads? You can't even see the content when you first load the page, this is what I was blessed with...

seriously-neowin.png

Nick H.    8,829

That's weird. I get this:

nxkwwFb.png

Doesn't matter if I change the view settings, it's still the same advert-wise. No adblock or script blocking enabled.

What's that "rising tech articles" thing? I've never seen that (I think).

PsYcHoKiLLa    2,170

I presume, if you are staff, you get the adblocking that subscribers get. Might be down to that, it's quite excessive for normal users though. I'm at work at the moment, so mebbe it's something to do with proxies sending specific ads. We're in the UK but our company uses a German proxy for some bizarre reason.

Brandon H    2,067
16 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

I presume, if you are staff, you get the adblocking that subscribers get. Might be down to that, it's quite excessive for normal users though. I'm at work at the moment, so mebbe it's something to do with proxies sending specific ads. We're in the UK but our company uses a German proxy for some bizarre reason.

nope, if we don't want ads we have to purchase a subscription like everyone else; it just doesn't show on the badge :)

-proudly subscribes still-

edit: to rule out a bad extension causing more have you tried visiting in another browser or in Incognito/safe-mode? (try booting into another OS as well to rule out virus) that doesn't seem like the proper amount of ads to me; especially if signed in

Nick H.    8,829
12 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

I thought about the subscription adblocking, but then there is an advert in my screenshot for the Collège du Léman so I ruled that out. Unless I'm mistaken and subscribers (and by extension staff) just get less and smaller adverts?

EDIT: Ah, thanks for clarifying that Brandon. (Y)

Jim K    10,794

Yea, I'm not so sure about any of that either...doesn't appear to be that bad as an incognito guest.  I have no way of checking as a non-subscribed member.

Don't get those adverts on the side or that "Rising Tech Article" thing...

Capture.thumb.JPG.59ae5822d48b711f938bb33114057837.JPG

Do you get heavy amounts of ads on other websites?  Maybe a browser extension ... or something else?

Human.Online    7,590

I'm getting it also.  

+Zag L.    563

Im consistently getting a HUGE Apple ad if I log on as a guest in incognito mode. the screen shot below is the entire Chrome window (minus the actual 'chrome'). If I were just a new person browsing over, I don't think I'd come back if presented with an ad that big. 

Edit - Oh, and its not static, it's a video that auto-plays... even more annoying

2018-09-21_09-04-29.png

Brandon H    2,067

I wonder if it's related to the issue @Steven P. mentioned in my issue thread

I guess the advertising company added some code that's messing things up; could be affecting the number of ads showing up too.

Nick H.    8,829
4 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

Im consistently getting a HUGE Apple ad if I log on as a guest in incognito mode. the screen shot below is the entire Chrome window (minus the actual 'chrome'). If I were just a new person browsing over, I don't think I'd come back if presented with an ad that big. 

That's...really weird. Firefox private browsing, not signed in:

6PuAYvy.png

If I scroll down the page there is an advert on the right, but other than that I'm not getting anything. Incognito with Chrome gives me similar results.

dipsylalapo    1,363

@Brandon HYeah this looks like the same issue. 

Steve has reported the issue to the ad agency so it should be being fixed. 

shockz    4,245
22 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

That's...really weird. Firefox private browsing, not signed in:

6PuAYvy.png

If I scroll down the page there is an advert on the right, but other than that I'm not getting anything. Incognito with Chrome gives me similar results.

Probably location based.

Steven P.    11,154

Yeah I have reported it, and it's being looked into!

Human.Online    7,590

FYI, still occurring, as well as skyscraper ads down the left and right margins for Microsoft.  All clickable and quite intrusive.

dipsylalapo    1,363
9 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

FYI, still occurring, as well as skyscraper ads down the left and right margins for Microsoft.  All clickable and quite intrusive.

As of 4 mins ago, it's supposed to have been fixed. Try again (clearing cookies etc) and report back if it's still an issue. 

• Thanks 1

Human.Online    7,590
On 9/24/2018 at 2:53 PM, dipsylalapo said:

As of 4 mins ago, it's supposed to have been fixed. Try again (clearing cookies etc) and report back if it's still an issue. 

Yup yup, seems to be sorted now :)