• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Help me identify my fiber connector

Hentiki    0

Hi,

in one of the buildings at work they have just finished installing fiber and now I have this cable coming out of the wall. I need to buy a media converter but first need to identify which type of connector this is. Anyone here that can help me ID it?

49D122D2-3585-4A02-936F-1D83FF5CF8A0.jpeg

xendrome    5,065

Looks like SC's coming out of the box with plugs in them.. 

LC-SC-FC-ST-connector.jpg

neufuse    3,294

yuck, they seriously installed multi-mode fiber instead of single mode fiber?

not like you don't have extra strands there to just do single mode......

does look like SC though not enough pics to tell though

Hentiki    0

Thank you, one additional question though. I thought single mode vs multi mode was a matter of cable type: longer distance/less ”information” for single mode and the opposite for multi mode? So what use do I have of the two (why are there extra cables and why an odd number?) extra cables if I can get the correct connector on them? Is the idea to run duplex mode with two cables? Do I need that?

thank you for clearing things up, this whole fiber thing has me really confused. I have bo problem setting up and installing standard TP cables in buildings but have never even attempted fiber installs, though I guess they are going to get more and more common

sc302    1,551

For short distances, 300-500 m, multimode is recommended.  Multimode can work with either led or laser.  To get further distance, single mode is required with laser, the laser for single mode is more expensive than multimode.  

You can read more about it here

http://www.fiberopticshare.com/single-mode-fiber-vs-multimode-fiber-choose-2.html

it is strange that you only have one side.  One strand is for send and another is needed for receive.  But that is a SC connector.