• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How do you pronounce "Semi" (as in the truck)?

How do you pronounce "semi"?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+jnelsoninjax    11,855

I am watching a TV show called Highway Thru Hell, which takes place in Canada, and they all say semi with the E at the end, whereas I have always heard it and say it with I saying the I instead.

+Mud W1ggle    89
13 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I am watching a TV show called Highway Thru Hell, which takes place in Canada, and they all say semi with the I at the end, whereas I have always heard it and say it with I saying the E instead.

Other than the fact that you are from the US, I always assumed all Americans used the I pronunciation and the rest of the correctly uses the E.

Congrats for proving that i'm wrong about at least one American :-P 

+jnelsoninjax    11,855
2 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

Other than the fact that you are from the US, I always assumed all Americans used the I pronunciation and the rest of the correctly uses the E.

Congrats for proving that i'm wrong about at least one American ?

Opps! I realized that I put it in backwards! I meant I say the I not the E! It must have been the beer that caused me to type it backwards, I'm going to go with that excuse! :D

+Mud W1ggle    89
1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Opps! I realized that I put it in backwards! I meant I say the I not the E! It must have been the beer that caused me to type it backwards, I'm going to go with that excuse! :D

Lol, I did think it was strange!  however, my comment still stands, the correct way is with the E - its sem-e

• Like 1

firey    3,911

Hard I usually but from time to time an e

dead.cell    4,249
17 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

Congrats for proving that i'm wrong about at least one American ?

Both versions are acceptable. Semicircle, semi-trailer, semiconductor for instance are often used with the E sound, while other words like semiannual or semi trucks might be pronounced with the I sound.

• Like 2

boo_star    398

E is the correct answer if you're speaking English.

+Mud W1ggle    89
51 minutes ago, dead.cell said:

Both versions are acceptable. Semicircle, semi-trailer, semiconductor for instance are often used with the E sound, while other words like semiannual or semi trucks might be pronounced with the I sound.

All of those words use the E sound.  as far as i'm aware its only North America that ever uses the I sound, but if someone else from another region uses the I sound anywhere please feel free to correct me

dead.cell    4,249
11 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

All of those words use the E sound.  as far as i'm aware its only North America that ever uses the I sound, but if someone else from another region uses the I sound anywhere please feel free to correct me

What difference does that make exactly? We also use recognize over recognise, color instead of colour.

Both forms are still correct. :ermm:

Here's an example: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/semi-annual

+Mud W1ggle    89
1 minute ago, dead.cell said:

What difference does that make exactly? We also use recognize over recognise, color instead of colour.

Both forms are still correct. :ermm:

It doesn't in the end, but im just a bit "anti-american" in their use of the English Language, the removal of the U, the replacement of the S with Z just annoy me.  The pronunciation of words like semi...

Its just one of my pet hates, my issue not yours,  Feel free to keep using the I sound, and i'll continue to dislike your use of the I sound ?

dead.cell    4,249
11 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

It doesn't in the end, but im just a bit "anti-american" in their use of the English Language, the removal of the U, the replacement of the S with Z just annoy me.  The pronunciation of words like semi...

Its just one of my pet hates, my issue not yours,  Feel free to keep using the I sound, and i'll continue to dislike your use of the I sound ?

Obnoxious, but you be you. :sleep2:  At least you're honest I guess.

Jim K    13,234

Depends, for example I pronounce semi, semifinals, semisweet with the "i"

But I pronounce semiconductor, semiautomatic, semicircular with an "e" . 

...so whatever.  Either way is fine afaik.  :) 

"Seme" for an 18-wheeler just doesn't sound right.

• Like 3

Matthew S.    960

Let us not forget Jewellery...  Sorry yanks, meant Jewelry ? (I got into an argument a few years ago about the spelling, in Canada, both are acceptable :S )

DConnell    6,580

If it's a word in itself, sem-eye. If it's a prefix, sem-ee.

ramesees    348

1) SEMM-EYE

vs

2) SEMM-EE

I'm from the UK and pronounce it the second way ('I' making the 'E' sound)

cork1958    1,669
14 hours ago, dead.cell said:

I have NEVER heard any of those words pronounced with the i sounding like an e. I'd have to look at the person that did pronounce it with the e sound like they were fruit cakes!!

Zagadka    4,047

I think that I generally use the -i sound, but it actually varies. Sometimes I say sem-i-circular, sometimes sem-e-circular. Weird. I guess it depends on where it is in the sentence to change the stress.

techbeck    6,875
2 hours ago, DConnell said:

?

Joe User    491
2 hours ago, DConnell said:

Both pronunciations are correct, and I think that's the rule most Americans use.

• Like 1

tsupersonic    1,805

Does it really matter? As long as you can understand what the person is trying to say...

+John.    1,395

Semm-ee

cos British

+jnelsoninjax    11,855
On 9/24/2018 at 2:42 PM, tsupersonic said:

Does it really matter? As long as you can understand what the person is trying to say...

Not at all, I was/am just curious how others say it.

Nerd Rage    530

I always use sim-eye.  Also