"Fast-paced" RPG

Just wondering if someone could suggest a fairly new RPG that's:

1) Fairly fast paced action-wise -- eg Dungeon Siege

2) An involved story but not one which seems to drag on -- eg Final Fantasy 7 & 8.

3) Its *not* an MMPORG

I'm awaiting DGS2. I'd get KOTR but I don't feel like playing anything Star Wars no matter how good the story is. I played NWN and Baldurs gate on a friend's computer and I'm not really impressed - I find them too boring. And if there is something close to NWN or Baldur but not as RPG centric please suggest.

Fine, I'm picky. :D Any suggestions?

Consider my system specs too: P3 800, 640 MB Ram and an 9600 XT. (and yes, the 9600 XT runs really well even if I have a "slow" CPU).

Checked out Diablo2?

Also try Morrowind, and maybe Gothic (1 or 2)

RPGs tend to be either Hack'n'slash (Diablo2, Dungeon Siege) or really in-depth (BG, NWN, Planescape, Morrowind, etc)

The only one i can think of off the top of my head which fulfills your criteria is KOTOR. Try it, even if you don't like star wars, because it absolutely kicks arse.

Alright you metioned Dungeon Siege, NWN, KoToR, & BGates. That doesn't leave much at least game I am familar with. Hmmm. Commandos 3? lol. Maybe Morrowind or Arx Fatalis.

Lionheart is a cool game, otherwise I agree with Rezza, Diablo games are awesome. Gothic games are also some of the best I have played. I also agree with giving KOTOR a chance. I am kinda burnt out on Star Wars, but it is an awesome game. It would be good even if I didn't know what Star Wars was.

I would suggest Lionheart first though. Very fun game with lots of replay value. I spent days just making characters before I decided who I wanted to play as.

Really, there haven't been any such RPG's out like that SINCE Dugeon Siege, least not that I've seen or can recall, and I'm somewhat of an RPG nut. If you don't mind going BACK a bit, checkout Diablo II for sure, and it's expansion. Even earlier than that (although with very nice looking full 3D graphics) was a game called Darkstone, might wanna look into that one.

As for Neverwinter Nights, did you just see the original game? Since then, there've been two expansions (Shadows of Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdark) that added a LOT to the game as a whole (plus two new brand new adventures). One of the great things about Neverwinter Nights is it's massive toolset, it's made so people can make modules for other people to download, and there's thousands of those modules out there - some of expectional quality. Might wanna look into that a bit closer, especially if you can't find anything else...

Edited by nazgul

I don't like Star Wars at all and I've never seen any of the originals right through (I've seen all of the original movie in sections now) but I decided to get KotOR anyway - it's amazing. I don't know anything above the movies beyond what a Wookie is and what the Jedi are and I could enjoy everything perfectly - I highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a time-sucking experience.

IMO Lionheart was a huge dissapointment, it's nowhere near the other Black Isle games.

Divine Divinity was great, it's on par with Diablo 2 in gameplay and it has a much better storyline. KOTOR's probably the best action RPG (if not the best RPG) of 2003, so make sure you check it out.

I played Diablo 2 -- wasn't bad. I've found the Commandos series too bloody hard and demands too much patience (I cheated all the way through C2).

I might give NWN a second try. Meh, it'll hold me off until DGS2. It might also have to do with it being played on an older card, my video card is much faster than my firend's is now.

Diablo 2 always has Battle.Net you know.. Admittedly, its mostly magic finding and dealing with rude people who go round conning / spamming / pking ( a bit of a generalisation here ) ... but its still got an amazing playerbase for a game that runs in 800 x 600.