• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

VPN and My Favorite Kodi

Question

Lindaawilsoon    0

A question for you IT guys.
I know that my solution is to install the vpn on my router, but I don't want to do that, slow down my other devices.
I have a usb hard drive plugged into my router that has my movies, tv shows, pictures, music, ect on it. All of my kodi devices connect to this NAS using windows SMB. Everything was perfect, until I installed a vpn on each fire stick and the fire tv. With the vpn connected I can stream just fine, but I can't connect to my NAS while connected. This gets difficult because my library is part streams from addons, and part local content, from the hard drive. Now that I set up metalliq and have mixed media in my tv shows tab, if I forget to disconnect the vpn and play a local file, it locks up kodi and I need to restart.
Is there a way to fix this issue? Maybe some port forwarding? I'm at a loss rite now

2 answers to this question

sc302    1,553

Moved to "The Cloud" subforum.

+BudMan    3,197
On 9/26/2018 at 8:28 AM, Lindaawilsoon said:

I know that my solution is to install the vpn on my router, but I don't want to do that, slow down my other devices.

Huh?  Why would the vpn slow down your other devices.  You just policy route the device you want to use the vpn, and other devices just use your normal wan connection.

You don't even need to base the policy route on source IP, you could use dest IP or dest port, or combination of anything be it source IP, port and or dest IP and port, etc..  There is nothing saying you have to force all devices out the vpn just because your router has a client connection to some vpn.