• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Surface Go Questions

techbeck    6,567

Just a couple quick questions concerning the Surface Go.  Work is looking at getting a few to use and I have not looked to much in to the systems.

Can Windows S join a domain and get normal access to network folders?  Also, can you install normal desktop apps?

Thanks

+Zag L.    608

I cant say anything regarding domain joining with Windows S mode (although I'd guess it can simply because of the target market) but I know for a fact you can NOT install desktop apps while in S mode.  You can however take them out of S mode and use then that way if you need to.

• Like 1

techbeck    6,567
12 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

I cant say anything regarding domain joining with Windows S mode (although I'd guess it can simply because of the target market) but I know for a fact you can NOT install desktop apps while in S mode.  You can however take them out of S mode and use then that way if you need to.

So they come with S mode and you can change to use a normal OS?

+Zag L.    608

From Microsoft:

Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.

• On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation.
  • In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)
  • On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button. After you see a confirmation message on the page, you'll be able to install apps from outside of the Microsoft Store.
  • Like 1

techbeck    6,567

Nice.  Thanks for the info and the link.

Clirion    146

A couple of other things to think about with this.  (I bought one for personal user).

If you are coming out of S Mode, it goes to Home Version of Windows 10, not Pro. No domain join, but I believe work places is there.

If it just Office and Edge et all, no need to leave S Mode.  You do have access to anything in the App Store if the company is setup to allow access to the App store.

If you want to load another browser (Chrome or FireFox) you will need to leave S Mode. 

The first three weeks I had it, I ran it in S mode.   I broke out becuase I wanted Kindle and FireFox for my browser.  No store app for either of them.