• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0

8 reasons to turn down the transmit power of your Wi-Fi

Question

+warwagon    11,952

I thought you guys might find this article interesting.

 

Quote

 

8 reasons to turn down the transmit power of your Wi-Fi

 

By default almost all WiFi access points transmit at full power (100mW on 2.4GHz). This gives maximum coverage and users see a good signal (“full bars”). However, there are good reasons to turn down the transmit power to a fraction of the maximum.

 

It even makes sense to start with minimum power and increase it until the necessary area is covered.

 

0. Wi-Fi is about sharing, not competing

 

In a congested environment it doesn’t matter if your access point is stronger than the neighbor’s. If your AP can receive other APs it will share the air time with them. All APs on the same channel will give other APs equal access to the spectrum. This is how 802.11 was written.


[Edit: I added this point as an afterthought, since this isn’t obvious to many users.]

 

 

https://metis.fi/en/2017/10/txpower/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1
+BudMan    3,197

I have never said wifi sucks ;)  Wifi can be great.. Mine rocks..  When setup correctly, using the proper hardware and not trying to do things with it that make no sense...

 

What I might have said is wifi sucks COMPARED to a wire... Which is just plain fact...

 

Yes it is very common practice to turn down the xmit power on your AP.. I have 3 in the house and none of them are running at max xmit.. on either band.

 

powersettings.thumb.png.2d42f7f999d87ddc3104a3f0d9b9d8f6.png

 

If anyone wonder why the uptime is low - because I just updated them to the current beta firmware 4.0.1 yesterday.. They reboot on firmware update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,491

That sounds farfetched, really...

 

Why would you EVER need to turn down the transmit power of your Wi-Fi?

 

I'll wait for @BudMan, see what he thinks...

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Zag L.    563

Actually most make sense. I've seen cases where some AMP routers were blasting out a huge signal in wifi  analyzer but couldn't connect because my phone didn't have the power to send the signal back. Think of listening to a long range radio signal (think HAM radio) . You may be DXing and able to hear it but if may not be able to respond back. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    9,662
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

That sounds farfetched, really...

 

Why would you EVER need to turn down the transmit power of your Wi-Fi?

 

I'll wait for @BudMan, see what he thinks...

Definitely not farfetched and  is good advice. My APs work on medium and low transmit power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,491
14 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Definitely not farfetched and  is good advice. My APs work on medium and low transmit power. 

I just never had that problem, so that is why I find it fafetched, that's all. *shrug*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    9,662
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I just never had that problem, so that is why I find it fafetched, that's all. *shrug*

It’s a good idea even if not having issues. It’s pretty douchey to pollute WiFi space for neighbors if it doesn’t help you in any way. I’ve been asking people in my neighborhood to lower their transmit speeds for the last two years. Hasn’t happened, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,491
7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It’s a good idea even if not having issues. It’s pretty douchey to pollute WiFi space for neighbors if it doesn’t help you in any way. I’ve been asking people in my neighborhood to lower their transmit speeds for the last two years. Hasn’t happened, of course. 

Might want to show them this article, eh? :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Circaflex    3,424
3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

That sounds farfetched, really...

 

Why would you EVER need to turn down the transmit power of your Wi-Fi?

 

I'll wait for @BudMan, see what he thinks...

wait for him? hes already said this same thing numerous times on the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,491
47 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

wait for him? hes already said this same thing numerous times on the board.

He has? All I hear is "WiFi sucks"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,491
2 hours ago, BudMan said:

What I might have said is wifi sucks COMPARED to a wire... Which is just plain fact...

Yeah, that might be what I meant. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
tomcoleman    190

more power the better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
~InstaShock~    3

while i agree that  the power should be lowered, if we lower the power the neighbors don't wouldn't it make your network more difficult to connect with ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+warwagon    11,952
10 minutes ago, ~InstaShock~ said:

while i agree that  the power should be lowered, if we lower the power the neighbors don't wouldn't it make your network more difficult to connect with ?

May want to try that post again. Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if lowing the power to your neighborhood would make it harder for your neighbors to connect to your network or harder for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    9,662
40 minutes ago, tomcoleman said:

more power the better

Newp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,491
49 minutes ago, tomcoleman said:

more power the better

Not always, mate. Unless you want to pay your electricity bill...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
~InstaShock~    3
1 hour ago, warwagon said:

May want to try that post again. Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if lowing the power to your neighborhood would make it harder for your neighbors to connect to your network or harder for you?

what i meant was, if my router's power is lesser than those of my neighbors, wouldn't my neighborhood network's on higher power interfere with my network causing me to have more interference on my network causing me to connection issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,491
1 minute ago, ~InstaShock~ said:

what i meant was, if my router's power is lesser than those of my neighbors, wouldn't my neighborhood network's on higher power interfere with my network causing me to have more interference on my network causing me to connection issues.

If it's on a different channel then your neighbors, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    9,662
1 minute ago, ~InstaShock~ said:

what i meant was, if my router's power is lesser than those of my neighbors, wouldn't my neighborhood network's on higher power interfere with my network causing me to have more interference on my network causing me to connection issues.

Yes. Which is why we need all people following this advice. You boosting your power would just increase that interference btw. 

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

If it's on a different channel then your neighbors, no.

Only 3 channels don’t interfere with each other on 2.4. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,491
8 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Only 3 channels don’t interfere with each other on 2.4. 

Oh, OK. Makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
nekrosoft13    617
15 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

It’s a good idea even if not having issues. It’s pretty douchey to pollute WiFi space for neighbors if it doesn’t help you in any way. I’ve been asking people in my neighborhood to lower their transmit speeds for the last two years. Hasn’t happened, of course. 

It will never happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
~InstaShock~    3
11 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Yes. Which is why we need all people following this advice. You boosting your power would just increase that interference btw. 

Only 3 channels don’t interfere with each other on 2.4. 

Hmm interesting, maybe i'll rename my SSID to "KindlyLowerYourTransmitPower" or something to that effect... lol 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
tmorris1    94
1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Not always, mate. Unless you want to pay your electricity bill...

Who else is going to pay my bill?  I will agree that turning down the power can be good, but it isn't going to save you any measurable amount on your electric bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
LostCat    1,144
24 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Only 3 channels don’t interfere with each other on 2.4. 

People still use 2.4?  Yeesh.  (I mean yeah phones but anything else I'd be using a wire to AC bridge or a USB or PCIe card.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
tmorris1    94
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LostCat said:

People still use 2.4?  Yeesh.  (I mean yeah phones but anything else I'd be using a wire to AC bridge or a USB or PCIe card.)

Most used band is 2.4.  A lot of devices don't support 5GHz. 2.4 has the best range too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
LostCat    1,144
3 minutes ago, tmorris1 said:

Most used band is 2.4.  A lot of devices don't support 5GHz. 2.4 has the best range too.

It also brings congestion issues, much lower speeds, a lack of beamforming... (though to be fair a lot of AC kit hasn't used that, much of it does today.)

 

I mean if you're stuck on 802.11N I might see your point, but using an AC router and not using AC seems a bit weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.