Windows 10 1809 No Internet on Windows 10 apps after upgrade.

After the upgrade of Windows 10 1809 (October Update) on both my Couch computer or my Quickbooks  machine has internet in Windows 10 applications (Edge, or Store to name a few). The Fix seems to be to set your network to public.  I was reading about the post on reddit, were it sounds like he tried everything under the sun to get it to work again.

Anyone else here with the same issue?  The two machines listed above were the only ones I tested for the issue so far.

*Update*  I just told Windows 10 to uninstall the network card and remove the drivers as well. I went from 5/2018 to 7/2015. Now it works.

*Update* So it appears the issue has to do with having ipv6 disabled. For Windows 10 apps to have internet you must have ipv6 enabled.

Network card is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

One of my boxes completely lost network.  I had to reinstall the network driver.

I realize that sounds kind of typical but this same box had no issue with the last two updates, so I consider it strange.  Of course my kid primarily uses the box and he's getting savvy on this stuff so maybe he broke something.  :)

run cmd as Admin

then...

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
netsh winsock reset
shutdown /r -t 1

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

After the upgrade of Windows 10 1809 (October Update) on both my Couch computer or my Quickbooks  machine has internet in Windows 10 applications (Edge, or Store to name a few). The Fix seems to be to set your network to public.  I was reading about the post on reddit, were it sounds like he tried everything under the sun to get it to work again.

Anyone else here with the same issue?  The two machines listed above were the only ones I tested for the issue so far.

*Update*  I just told Windows 10 to uninstall the network card and remove the drivers as well. I went from 5/2018 to 7/2015. Now it works.

Did you not say before that you have never had issues after a big update? lol

2 minutes ago, atleeit said:

Did you not say before that you have never had issues after a big update? lol

So true lol

49 minutes ago, warwagon said:

So true lol

Going from a big update to multiple cumulative's then to another big update. I'm sure there's loads of registry data which gets left behind, files even or strings which dont get updated properly as it's expecting one thing and gives another. They can all cause random issues. Sometimes it's good to do a fresh start but not for everyone. Depending on what you use your machine for and how much data / programs / settings you have depends on if you have 2-3 hours to waste starting fresh.

To fix this issue all you need to do is go to the old school control panel and then open up Windows Defender Firewall. Restore to defaults and everything will work again. 

Cheers

Found the real cause of the issue, So it appears the issue has to do with having ipv6 disabled. For Windows 10 apps to have internet you must have ipv6 enabled.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

Found the real cause of the issue, So it appears the issue has to do with having ipv6 disabled. For Windows 10 apps to have internet you must have ipv6 enabled.

even if only using IPv4 on the network? that sounds like a bug to me; I'd report it if you haven't already :) 

3 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

even if only using IPv4 on the network? that sounds like a bug to me; I'd report it if you haven't already :) 

It appears it was reported over a month ago.

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

Thanks, I had the same issue. Only Chrome worked. Any Windows apps, Edge, Teamviewer wouldn't work properly. I reactivate ipv6 and it worked.

Same issue here. IPv6 solved it for me. 

Office 2016 wouldnt work either. OneNote 2016 didnt get connection with service and outlook didnt update.

That better be fixed soon as I am not going to enable IPv6 across all network computers 

Windows Firewall is completely broken, everything is blocked including allowed applications. Using Windows Firewall Control setting it to low = everything works, medium = everything broken.

21 hours ago, warwagon said:

*Update* So it appears the issue has to do with having ipv6 disabled. For Windows 10 apps to have internet you must have ipv6 enabled.

Reproducible on my Win10 1809 VM, with VMXNET3, as well.

Windows firewall disabled. Connection set to private. IPv6 disabled

No network connectivity for UWP apps.

Windows firewall disabled. Connection set to private. IPv6 enabled

Working network connectivity for UWP apps.

Windows firewall disabled. Connection set to public. IPv6 disabled.

Windows firewall disabled. Connection set to public. IPv6 enabled.

I had the same symptoms (no connectivity in Edge and other apps).

In my case, the problem was in an active VPN connection (Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client). 

I didn't have this problem prior to Win10 1809. 

Hope it helps anyone.

Edited by Jure S