• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Discovered another bug with October 2018 Update, I'm probably rolling back to 1803 later

Steven P.    11,157

So aside from the known bugs which haven't affected me (docs going missing, task manager spikes etc) there is also the very annoying bug that keeps a history of recent files in jump lists and the start menu search for apps that cannot be disabled or cleared, even though these are disabled in Taskbar settings > Start (Show recently opened items in jumplists on Start or the taskbar) also show recently used files in Quick access and recently used folders in Quick access are also unchecked in file explorer privacy options. Kind of hoped this might be fixed today with Patch Tuesday, but I also came across another annoying bug:

Screen timeout when locked only powers off my monitors for the first day of a Windows session, so for someone like me that keeps my computer on for days without a restart, this isn't going to work for me.

What a friggin mess eh? Microsoft need to get their act together :/ 

I just want to add that 1803 was also a buggy POS and it took weeks to get that working how I wanted it, it just isn't practical to do this every six months with each new buggy release. Microsoft need to stop using consumers that are not in the Insider pool as bloody beta testers for their crappy non existent QA!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Steven P.    11,157

Ahh it just took more than 5 minutes to print 9 color pages of bank statements for my accountant too (Epson WF-3720) and from searching online it could be related to the "Windows printer driver and/or Windows Spooler settings." And of course, printing was fine before I upgraded to 1809.

• Like 2

+JR1966    620

I have two bugs with 1809 so far. One, the onscreen keyboard refuses to come up and if I click on it too often the desktop seizes up. Two, in Edge while having the favorites bar engaged the drop down menu of favorites they don't fit on the bar doesn't show. All I get is a little black box showing.

Onscreen keyboaerd issue not the end of world for me but favorites not showing is a pita!

Steven P.    11,157
24 minutes ago, JR1966 said:

I have two bugs with 1809 so far. One, the onscreen keyboard refuses to come up and if I click on it too often the desktop seizes up. Two, in Edge while having the favorites bar engaged the drop down menu of favorites they don't fit on the bar doesn't show. All I get is a little black box showing.

Onscreen keyboaerd issue not the end of world for me but favorites not showing is a pita!

I read that the Favorites location moved, for me it is not even a library folder anymore, but it was also one of the casualties of 1809 with file removals in documents, it affected favorites too.

• Like 1

slamfire92    1,638
Posted (edited)

"Agile" development and Microsoft do not jive.

Slow to annual release cycle. 6 months feature dev, 6 months of testing/bug fixing.

Keep the Insider program but hire back some homeless QA people!

• Like 3

adrynalyne    9,653
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

So aside from the known bugs which haven't affected me (docs going missing, task manager spikes etc) there is also the very annoying bug that keeps a history of recent files in jump lists and the start menu search for apps that cannot be disabled or cleared, even though these are disabled in Taskbar settings > Start (Show recently opened items in jumplists on Start or the taskbar) also show recently used files in Quick access and recently used folders in Quick access are also unchecked in file explorer privacy options. Kind of hoped this might be fixed today with Patch Tuesday, but I also came across another annoying bug:

Screen timeout when locked only powers off my monitors for the first day of a Windows session, so for someone like me that keeps my computer on for days without a restart, this isn't going to work for me.

What a friggin mess eh? Microsoft need to get their act together :/ 

I just want to add that 1803 was also a buggy POS and it took weeks to get that working how I wanted it, it just isn't practical to do this every six months with each new buggy release. Microsoft need to stop using consumers that are not in the Insider pool as bloody beta testers for their crappy non existent QA!

It has more to do with Agile than the insider channel. Bi-yearly release dates is ludicrous for an OS. 

• Like 1

Steven P.    11,157

SNAG-0005.png

Rolled back, went well.

• Like 1

+JR1966    620
12 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I read that the Favorites location moved, for me it is not even a library folder anymore, but it was also one of the casualties of 1809 with file removals in documents, it affected favorites too.

It's just crazy. This is a right royal screw up by MS. I have received the new culmative update and my two issues remain. 

metallithrax    515
13 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Ahh it just took more than 5 minutes to print 9 color pages of bank statements for my accountant too (Epson WF-3720) and from searching online it could be related to the "Windows printer driver and/or Windows Spooler settings." And of course, printing was fine before I upgraded to 1809.

Not wanting to be pedantic, but why print bank statements in colour?

And as an aside, why does it highlight colour as a spelling mistake?  Cannot we have English spelling as well?

exotoxic    604
14 hours ago, Steven P. said:

there is also the very annoying bug that keeps a history of recent files in jump lists

Checking then unchecking the setting makes the problem go away.

Haggis    998
10 hours ago, metallithrax said:

And as an aside, why does it highlight colour as a spelling mistake?  Cannot we have English spelling as well?

Color is the American spelling  is it not? English would be Colour. I just checked i am still on 1803 so wont update yet

Steven P.    11,157
10 hours ago, metallithrax said:

It is the default setting of the printer, and only does logo or whatever.

To answer your second question, you need to change your spell checking preferences in the browser from English (US) to English (UK) if that's what you prefer.

• Like 1

metallithrax    515
2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

It is the default setting of the printer, and only does logo or whatever.

To answer your second question, you need to change your spell checking preferences in the browser from English (US) to English (UK) if that's what you prefer.

Never thought to look in browser settings ( I was a little tipsy).  Wouldn't let me change it to just English so I turned it off.

Steven P.    11,157
1 hour ago, metallithrax said:

Never thought to look in browser settings ( I was a little tipsy).  Wouldn't let me change it to just English so I turned it off.

You can put English UK ahead of English US (which is the default because you downloaded the English US version of the browser).

+goretsky    904

Hello,

One other change to be aware of is that the Downloads directory is now subject to purging by Disk Cleanup.  If you use the default Downloads directory for storage and don't un-check it when running Disk Cleanup, you may find yourself missing needed files.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky