• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Multiple issues with a Toshiba L745-S4210 laptop

Murasame    2

Screen flickers with blue lines running through it. Before installing a hard drive and OS I noticed the keyboard barely works. Arrow keys don't work at all and letters like S constantly types swswswswswsw. K comes out as ,K,K,K,K for example. And worse of all is the constant beeping upon startup. Actually it was doing that as I was running the Windows installation disc.

The screen issue seems to be isolated to just the screen and not the GPU itself. The blue line flicker doesn't happen on external monitors. The keyboard could just be faulty, but what would cause that? And the loud beeping on startup I have no clue. Any ideas?

Edit: I wonder if simply replacing the motherboard would be the best option and hope it fixes all the problems. Because thinking about it now, what if the screen isn't the problem and it is the motherboard causing that issue?

Edited by Murasame

Mindovermaster    1,489

What is the beep code? They can tell you alot of what is wrong.

https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

If it doesn't show blue lines on external, it's not the motherboard. Your screen must be bad.

As for the keyboard, they can easily go bad.

If you can afford it, I would get a new laptop.

Being it was made in ~2011, that's pretty old for a laptop.

• Like 1

Murasame    2

I tried it again today and the beeping has stopped. Maybe because the battery had been sitting too long and was completely dead? Now it boots just fine with or without the adapter. Surprisingly it seems to be holding a charge now that it's 100%. My friend brought this from someone on CL "for dirt cheap" she says. However she asked me if I could figure out why the screen is glitching out. But in doing so I found the keyboard issue. She'll probably want to replace the screen and keyboard since the laptop only cost $20 and prices for the screen and keyboard look good. But yeah I would get something newer and slimmer.

+goretsky    903

Hello,

Considering this is a seven or eight year old laptop at this point, I would suggest starting by carefully disassembling the laptop completely, cleaning all of the components, oiling or replacing any cooling fans, re-applying the laptop's thermal paste and replacing the CMOS/RTC backup battery (it is usually a CR-2023 +3VDC coin cell, although it may be in some kind of wiring harness).  If problems persist after that, you can then try replacing the various components.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Mindovermaster    1,489

@goretsky, I don't think the dust would harm his laptop. But it is always good to clean it. ;)

techbeck    6,392

Normally if the screen is flickering and has lines, that is a hardware defect. Tho, I have seen video drivers cause the issue as well.  And KBs do go bad but normally cheap[ and not hard to replaced.   But I wouldn't pour to much money into a laptop that is that old.  Pretty much get what you pay  for on CL.

Mindovermaster    1,489
6 hours ago, techbeck said:

Normally if the screen is flickering and has lines, that is a hardware defect. Tho, I have seen video drivers cause the issue as well.  And KBs do go bad but normally cheap[ and not hard to replaced.   But I wouldn't pour to much money into a laptop that is that old.  Pretty much get what you pay  for on CL.

Or on eBay, yeah. A good deal isn't always your best option with anything.

Murasame    2
On 10/12/2018 at 5:30 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Or on eBay, yeah. A good deal isn't always your best option with anything.

True, but some people just can't be talked out of things. But hope no one minds a bump. I replaced the screen and KB, dusted out the MB, replaced thermal paste with AS5 and changed the CMOS battery. You would never know it had any problems. The screen was $50 and the keyboard was $15. $85 with the initial $20. Not a bad price on her end imo. The lowest one on ebay right now is priced at $120. So now that's done, time to get back to my own projects.

• Like 1