Will Windows Ever Move Away From C:\?

On the last week of my 3rd PC (building a new one), the new case doesn't have space for an optical drive.

That's a new venture for me but I can't think of the last time I used it.

Made me think of floppy disk drives and whether Microsoft will ever configure Windows not to recognise these old pieces of hardware?

This then led me to think whether they would ever change it so Windows will be installed on the A drive. Or whether drives will become numbers instead of letters?

What are your thoughts? 

i doubt it

would likely require too much re-coding for little to no benefit

has the possibility of breaking existing apps too (though that chance is a lot lower than it used to be as most devs are smart and don't hard code system file paths anymore)

edit: i've gotten on your train of thought a bit though and this has got me wondering. Why is B: drive rarely if ever used?

A: is floppy

C : is main

D: usually gets used for backup/recovery

E: is usually the default assignment for CD drives

B: gets skipped, even USB drives don't usually assign to it by default. I wonder why this is.

14 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

D : usually gets used for backup/recovery

B: gets skipped, even USB drives don't usually assign to it by default. I wonder why this is.

Like A: , B: drive is system reserved for 5" 1/4 floppy disk drive or a second 3" 1/2 floppy disk drive.

20 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

😧 usually gets used for backup/recovery

D....depends really . If you don't have a recovery partition, D is normally the CDROM Drive.  And like someone else stated, B is normally reserved for the 5 1/4 drives.   But if you have no floppies or plan to use them, you can map folders to the A, B, and other drivers.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:43 PM, Brandon H said:

i doubt it

would likely require too much re-coding for little to no benefit

has the possibility of breaking existing apps too (though that chance is a lot lower than it used to be as most devs are smart and don't hard code system file paths anymore)

edit: i've gotten on your train of thought a bit though and this has got me wondering. Why is B: drive rarely if ever used?

D: usually gets used for backup/recovery

B: Was usually for a second floppy so if you were copying/duplicating floppies then A and B would be your 2 floppy drives, hence why C is the system drive.

A and B drives used to be bootable drives prior to accessing the c drive which was the system drive.  It was general boot order starting from A, then they just became place holders.  Now it isn't as relevant as it once was as windows internally doesn't utilize drive letters, it is more for users and ease of identification.  Windows sees them as \Device\Harddiskx  on the back end.

To answer the question in the  most simplest of terms, no they will not be moving away from C for a very long time.  As long as people remain simple and do not like change, it is most likely not going to change as programs are written in such a fashion to incorporate that.

We also need that bug fixed were removable devices are given drive letters of mapped network drives which makes the mapped network drive inaccessible via the drive letter until the removable device is unplugged.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, warwagon said:

We also need that bug fixed were removable devices are given drive letters of mapped network drives which makes the mapped network drive inaccessible via the drive letter until the removable device is unplugged.

yeah that is really annoying... especially when you have 10+ mapped drives and a USB stick randomly picks on of them as it's drive and you can't easily see it until you look closely

25 minutes ago, warwagon said:

oh wow, never run across that myself; sounds super annoying though

4 minutes ago, neufuse said:

yeah that is really annoying... especially when you have 10+ mapped drives and a USB stick randomly picks on of them as it's drive and you can't easily see it until you look closely

Such a stupid bug that should not still be there. I'm not a coder but it sounds like a 1 line of code type of Fix. If (The drive letter selected is already in use, pick another one)

5 minutes ago, neufuse said:

I had that happen to me a couple weeks ago. Infuriating. 

50 minutes ago, warwagon said:

**** Yes!

This is a constant annoyance and my job. Personally, I want to ban portable drives altogether because they're an unnecessary security risk, but that's another battle.